+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

goods to follow - how long must you own vehicle before bringing in?

laroyden

Apr 9, 2009
to clarify my situation a bit, i have 'landed', but at the time i did that, the border office gave me an extension to present my goods to follow list. before i move up permanently, i was contemplating buying a new(er) car in the states and then importing it into canada eventually whenever i brought my goods up. however, the border officer told me i needed to own that car for 6 months prior and also mentioned that i should have no outstanding loans on the car (or had prearranged a canadian bank to take those over).

1. is what the officer said true, that i need to own the car for 6 months before bringing it in? and would that be 6 months before i landed, or 6 months before i imported it?

2. does anyone know about the loan part as well? if so, if anyone has dealt with that and could provide tips on how to do so, it would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

laroyden said:
to clarify my situation a bit, i have 'landed', but at the time i did that, the border office gave me an extension to present my goods to follow list. before i move up permanently, i was contemplating buying a new(er) car in the states and then importing it into canada eventually whenever i brought my goods up. however, the border officer told me i needed to own that car for 6 months prior and also mentioned that i should have no outstanding loans on the car (or had prearranged a canadian bank to take those over).

1. is what the officer said true, that i need to own the car for 6 months before bringing it in? and would that be 6 months before i landed, or 6 months before i imported it?

2. does anyone know about the loan part as well? if so, if anyone has dealt with that and could provide tips on how to do so, it would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
1. You must have owned the car and it must have been used, prior to "landing" . If you buy and import now, you will be subject to duty and taxes.
2. To export the car from the US, you need either clear title or a letter from the lender allowing you to export the car. See: www.riv.ca and http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml