+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada and coming back to US

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
I am currently going through my Canada PR process. Was just curious to see if there was anyone here who was looking at options of going to Canada, working for a few years and then coming back to the US and probably do EB-1 GC?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am currently going through my Canada PR process. Was just curious to see if there was anyone here who was looking at options of going to Canada, working for a few years and then coming back to the US and probably do EB-1 GC?
EB-1 route: Cognizant does it but it seems that they also reduced it. So it all depends on the company and the position you could get hired into.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
EB-1 route: Cognizant does it but it seems that they also reduced it. So it all depends on the company and the position you could get hired into.
Thanks harirajmohan. If I am already working for a company A who has filed my I-140 in EB-2. Can I work as a manager for 1 year in Canada and come back to the same company who can re-sponsor me in EB-1?

What about if it's a different company?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks harirajmohan. If I am already working for a company A who has filed my I-140 in EB-2. Can I work as a manager for 1 year in Canada and come back to the same company who can re-sponsor me in EB-1?

You could have difficulty getting that time counted towards your PR. This isn’t a situation where you had been working longterm for a Canadian employer and were sent to work overseas for a certain amount of time.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Yes you can. Not sure much about eligibility and rules on eb1c. Check with lawyer.
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-first-preference-eb-1
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/l-1a-intracompany-transferee-executive-or-manager

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa

Your plan will work in theory and also may reduce total wait time for US Green Card however, you should note that even EB-1C route is closing nowadays as many companies have started exploiting this loophole in GC process. In addition to risk of additional processing times even for genuine cases, there is now a priority date cutoff for EB-1C for India born people. Evaluate all your options but more than likely, easier option would be to just stay put in Canada for 3 years, get your Canadian citizenship and get rid of H1B shackles once in for all. You can then be eligible for TN-1 visa and use your older priority date as and when it gets current via EB2 route if you are still working for same employer.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017

If this is your goal, just try to find a work permit to work in Canada and do not waste a PR that someone could really use.

Btw do you see the irony here, US immigration doesn't give a shit to you or your merit and you are after it. While Canadian immigration is treating you fairly (not discriminating based on national origin etc) and you are just using it as a stop gap. Now, folks like you have no moral grounds to complain about not being treated fairly by US immigration or any other country.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If this is your goal, just try to find a work permit to work in Canada and do not waste a PR that someone could really use.

Btw do you see the irony here, US immigration doesn't give a shit to you or your merit and you are after it. While Canadian immigration is treating you fairly (not discriminating based on national origin etc) and you are just using it as a stop gap. Now, folks like you have no moral grounds to complain about not being treated fairly by US immigration or any other country.
1. Yes, they can try for ICT work permit for this purpose and no need for PR.
2. It is ironic, but for most people Canada is only a backup/second choice. That is the reality.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
@Samoinp Fair point. I think of it myself sometimes - also this isn't set in stone, I am just exploring all possible options. The US immigration policies (strictly my opinion) is only going to get harder for people. However, that being said and based on my recent visit to Toronto (and talking to multiple people), everything is as expensive as the US (if not more), however, the salaries are low and the housing is also crazy expensive. Unfortunately, today, there is no ideal country to settle in (especially for those absolutely not looking to go back to their home country) unlike the 90's when US was the honeycomb for all immigrants.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
1. Yes, they can try for ICT work permit for this purpose and no need for PR.
2. It is ironic, but for most people Canada is only a backup/second choice. That is the reality.
It wouldn't be once Canadian immigration meets its goal and closes the gate. Sadly, like someone said in another topic folks don't appreciate value of Canadian PR and take it for granted.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
@Samoinp Fair point. I think of it myself sometimes - also this isn't set in stone, I am just exploring all possible options. The US immigration policies (strictly my opinion) is only going to get harder for people. However, that being said and based on my recent visit to Toronto (and talking to multiple people), everything is as expensive as the US (if not more), however, the salaries are low and the housing is also crazy expensive. Unfortunately, today, there is no ideal country to settle in (especially for those absolutely not looking to go back to their home country) unlike the 90's when US was the honeycomb for all immigrants.
Sure that is a decision for everyone to take. If you aren't sure, just go the work permit route.

If not, a PR that someone could have used goes down the drain and if more folks do this, there would be an obvious pattern that could affect future PR applications from US.

As much empathy you expect from US immigration, law makers etc, give back the same to whoever appreciates you in the first place.