+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Future prospects for CEC cut off CRS score?

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
I'm 30 and I'm considering a two-year diploma in Canada. After graduation I am willing to do any NOC job during the PGWP period. However I am not sure if the number of applicants becomes very high by the time I become eligible to apply for CEC and my CRS score wouldn't be enough for me. I would be very traumatized if that happened. My expected CRS by that time would be between 390-490. Is it worth it?

D

Deleted member 1050918

There won't be a CEC cutoff. The draws go back to normal which means there'll be all program draws like always, and a cutoff that'll apply to all candidates in the Federal High Skilled pool. The pool is overflown with high score candidates right now but it should go back to normal before 2023 and the normal cutoff would probably not exceed 475. I'm guessing you're talking about a two year long graduate degree like a master's degree. There's no way you're missing a PR with a Canadian master's. It significantly improves your chances in the job hunt too. Go for it.

Be advised, you can't do "any NOC job" and hope to get a PR. Read up about it on IRCC's website; you must be in certain NOCs to qualify for PR.

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
There won't be a CEC cutoff. The draws go back to normal which means there'll be all program draws like always, and a cutoff that'll apply to all candidates in the Federal High Skilled pool. The pool is overflown with high score candidates right now but it should go back to normal before 2023 and the normal cutoff would probably not exceed 475. I'm guessing you're talking about a two year long graduate degree like a master's degree. There's no way you're missing a PR with a Canadian master's. It significantly improves your chances in the job hunt too. Go for it.

Be advised, you can't do "any NOC job" and hope to get a PR. Read up about it on IRCC's website; you must be in certain NOCs to qualify for PR.
No I meant diploma not master's degree. And my CRS score could be below 400 by then

D

Deleted member 1050918

No I meant diploma not master's degree. And my CRS score could be below 400 by then
Gotcha, sorry. I believe you made a typo when you said your expected CRS would be "390-490" where you meant to type "390-400".

Once again, if you're planning to hit the Federal High Skilled CRS cutoffs (since there won't be CEC-specific draws) with a maximum expected CRS of 400, it's obviously not a strong plan. Assuming you don't have any other ways you could get into Canada, if you get the two year diploma anyway, I can see three paths you could choose from. The thing is, is living in Canada that important to you? If the answer is yes, your options that I can think of would be:

A. Get on PGWP, they'll give you 2 years. While you're studying your degree, you must actively network and look for jobs because it may be challenging to find a job after graduating and you absolutely don't want to waste your time looking for jobs on your PGWP. You make sure to complete at least 1 full year of paid work on PGWP while learning French in parallel. Improve your English scores as well, then recalculate your CRS with 1 year of Canadian experience + good English scores + good French scores. Calculate it on your own but this should get you in the 470-480 range.

B. Carefully select a province where you think you can easily get a provincial nomination (PNP) through your diploma and/or PGWP work experience. Move to that province for school and/or work on your study visa and/or PGWP. No need for a CRS calculation here, PNP gets you +600 points and you're guaranteed to get an ITA. You just need to select the best province for your PNP hunt.

C. Get on PGWP and hope that Trudeau's mandate letter saves you as you'll be a "temporary worker" on your PGWP. Trudeau ordered in the mandate letter that additional pathways be created for international graduates and temporary workers.

As you can see, A is doable but takes a lot of work, C depends much on luck. B looks like a good way but I'm not sure if any PNP would apply to you and your NOC/degree so you'll need to do your own research on it. Choose whatever path, always make sure to increase your English scores as much as you can.