+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial Services role in Canada

haideriqbal

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
I am a CFA Charterholder and a ACCA Member (CPA Equivalent) currently working in KSA with a local family business office in their Private Equity arm. I have experience of working in Buy side research and the M&A advisory arm of a Big 4.

I have already got PR and did my first landing in June. I am looking to move to Canada permanently and am currently assessing what I can expect from the job market and what kind of remuneration would I be able to get.

Any guidance with reference to the above would be highly appreciated.

aks2010

Star Member
May 7, 2011
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi / Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014; Lawyer/consultant hired?: No.; PER Received.: 07-01-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
22-04-2015
Med's Request
15-05-2015
Med's Done....
20-05-2015; Med's Results Rcvd: 26-05-2015;
Passport Req..
22-07-2015; Decision Made:25-07-2015; Passport Submitted: 27-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2015; Passport Returned: 31-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-10-2015;ECAS Status:Complete 31-10-2015
I am a CFA Charterholder and a ACCA Member (CPA Equivalent) currently working in KSA with a local family business office in their Private Equity arm. I have experience of working in Buy side research and the M&A advisory arm of a Big 4.

I have already got PR and did my first landing in June. I am looking to move to Canada permanently and am currently assessing what I can expect from the job market and what kind of remuneration would I be able to get.

Any guidance with reference to the above would be highly appreciated.
A search on workopolis or indeed.ca will give you a fair idea of the positions and skills that are in demand. But then you must keep in mind that it is very difficult although not impossible to get a job offer sitting outside of Canada.

haideriqbal

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
A search on workopolis or indeed.ca will give you a fair idea of the positions and skills that are in demand. But then you must keep in mind that it is very difficult although not impossible to get a job offer sitting outside of Canada.
Thank you Aks,

I am also looking for any advice regarding how I should approach landing a job once I do move to Canada and what is the general salary range people of my background generally get.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that you have your CFA you should have an easier time than others. I would be networking through linkedin. Do you know any previous colleagues that are now working in Canada? Even friend of a friend? Could you take them out for lunch/coffee to discuss the Canadian Finance sector and getting a job. You can do the other normal sending in your CV stuff but networking will be key.

haideriqbal

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Given that you have your CFA you should have an easier time than others. I would be networking through linkedin. Do you know any previous colleagues that are now working in Canada? Even friend of a friend? Could you take them out for lunch/coffee to discuss the Canadian Finance sector and getting a job. You can do the other normal sending in your CV stuff but networking will be key.
Thankfully yes I do. I have actually been interviewed once already sitting here in Riyadh but thats the only one I had.

I wanted to ask though, would it be odd if I messaged someone I didn't know asking them out for coffee to say hello and network? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask but the part of the world where I am from this is a very foreign concept.

Any advice on what salary I can expect?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thankfully yes I do. I have actually been interviewed once already sitting here in Riyadh but thats the only one I had.

I wanted to ask though, would it be odd if I messaged someone I didn't know asking them out for coffee to say hello and network? Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask but the part of the world where I am from this is a very foreign concept.

Any advice on what salary I can expect?
That's a great idea. No guarantees that it will work but if you ask enough people it will. I would keep your message short and explain your intent. Very hard for me to estimate salary. Probably less than you are used and then you have to pay taxes. No benefits like travel home, school fees, living expenses, etc.

Reactions: haideriqbal

haideriqbal

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
That's a great idea. No guarantees that it will work but if you ask enough people it will. I would keep your message short and explain your intent. Very hard for me to estimate salary. Probably less than you are used and then you have to pay taxes. No benefits like travel home, school fees, living expenses, etc.
Thanks a bunch man. Appreciate the guidance.

haideriqbal

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
First tip about coming to Canada. Never assume you are speaking to a man.:)
Apologies, should've known better.

I didn't assume by the way. I've always used "man" as a gender neutral term but I understand what you mean.

Thanks again. :)