+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing H1B extension while working In Detroit and staying in windsor

pranaam

Mar 9, 2020
Hi All,
I wanted to know if I can file H1b extension while I am residing in Windsor and commuting daily to Detroit for work on H1b visa.
I currently plan to commute daily using AVR (Automatic visa recalibration) using existing I-797 and i94 which is valid until December 2021. Can I continue to use AVR after getting new I797 and I94 or I will need to go for visa stamping after getting the H1b extension approved.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ilovesylvanas

May 13, 2021
Yes, you can continue to use AVR after getting new I797 and I94. I am on the same boat. Since the US embassy is not open, I canot get a new visa so I have to use AVR to commute during Covid-19. There are many H1bs & Canadian PRs are using AVR to commute every day between Windsor/Detroit, and Detroit CBP are quite familiar with this situation.

One thing you have to be careful is that when your employer is going to file H1b extension, you have to be in US at the moment when your package is delivered to USCIS. So you better stay in US the whole day on that date.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
This is very close to my situation, I have H1B stamping and 797 with my current employer A and I am commuting to Detroit. Now employer B wants to transfer/file my h1B VISA.

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Hi All,
I wanted to know if I can file H1b extension while I am residing in Windsor and commuting daily to Detroit for work on H1b visa.
I currently plan to commute daily using AVR (Automatic visa recalibration) using existing I-797 and i94 which is valid until December 2021. Can I continue to use AVR after getting new I797 and I94 or I will need to go for visa stamping after getting the H1b extension approved.

Hi, were you able to get your H1B visa renewed while commuting daily across the border? How long did you have to stay in the US when your H1B application was delivered to USCIS? Did you have any issue with getting a new I-94 with the H1B visa renewal?

I am thinking of taking a small vacation in US around the time by H1B application is sent in so that I am in US on the day the application is delivered to USCIS and couple of days after that.

ilovesylvanas

May 13, 2021
Hi, were you able to get your H1B visa renewed while commuting daily across the border? How long did you have to stay in the US when your H1B application was delivered to USCIS? Did you have any issue with getting a new I-94 with the H1B visa renewal?

I am thinking of taking a small vacation in US around the time by H1B application is sent in so that I am in US on the day the application is delivered to USCIS and couple of days after that.
As long as you enter US before your lawyer mails the package and leave US after it gets delivered, you will be fine.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Hi All,

You can continue

I changed jobs while commuting back and forth to Detroit. My new employer selected option of "Notify consulate" and I had to show my approved 797 and get new I-94 stamped before joining the new employer.

Cananm

Mar 7, 2019
Dear members,
Thanks for this thread and all the valuable info shared here regarding the H1B extension!

I moved to Windsor, Canada (PR) in May 2022 as my role is Remote in US, but didnt had any residential address in Michigan and H1B was registered in different state.
My current H1B is valid until March 2024!
Didnt informed employer about the move but kept on crossing the border atleast once a month for personal/ office trips making it atleast 4-6 weeks (or greater ) in a year (2022 n 2023) to USA.
Now I wanted to update my location to Detroit, Michigan as RTO has been made mandatory and my new office space would be located in Detroit.

Question:
1) I just wanted to understand how did you all manage to provide the necessary info regarding the extension to attorney and USCIS and how did the extension went!

2) And from the time u submitted the info to the attorney the I94 number may have been updated several times until the case reached to USCIS, so wasnt that a concern to the USCIS! I am assuming most of the members here were commuting daily had their earlier H1B location as Michigan!

3) I plan to stay for entire time, from attorney preparing the case to getting decision back from USICS, inside USA,
as my company is not aware of all the things!
Do u think this is necessary step or I should stay in USA only during the time when the package is received with USCIS and
then get back to Windsor and continue commuting using the existing H1B!

I know everyone's situation is different but if you can share your experiences that will be awesome or
if anyone knows of the a member who had been in similar situation or group that have post on the similar topics,
and can refer me to that, it will be of great help!

Any response will be much appreciated!

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
1 - Extension went smooth, I had one extension and one transfer during my stay in Canada. For all H1B and GC intent - official address was a Michigan Address.
2 - Yes, H1B location was Michigan and as extension are filled in premium processing that too well in advance. travelling back and forth was not a problem
3- I stayed in US between Attorney sending the application and getting a decision ( not sure if that matters)

Dear members,
Thanks for this thread and all the valuable info shared here regarding the H1B extension!

I moved to Windsor, Canada (PR) in May 2022 as my role is Remote in US, but didnt had any residential address in Michigan and H1B was registered in different state.
My current H1B is valid until March 2024!
Didnt informed employer about the move but kept on crossing the border atleast once a month for personal/ office trips making it atleast 4-6 weeks (or greater ) in a year (2022 n 2023) to USA.
Now I wanted to update my location to Detroit, Michigan as RTO has been made mandatory and my new office space would be located in Detroit.

Question:
1) I just wanted to understand how did you all manage to provide the necessary info regarding the extension to attorney and USCIS and how did the extension went!

2) And from the time u submitted the info to the attorney the I94 number may have been updated several times until the case reached to USCIS, so wasnt that a concern to the USCIS! I am assuming most of the members here were commuting daily had their earlier H1B location as Michigan!

3) I plan to stay for entire time, from attorney preparing the case to getting decision back from USICS, inside USA,
as my company is not aware of all the things!
Do u think this is necessary step or I should stay in USA only during the time when the package is received with USCIS and
then get back to Windsor and continue commuting using the existing H1B!

I know everyone's situation is different but if you can share your experiences that will be awesome or
if anyone knows of the a member who had been in similar situation or group that have post on the similar topics,
and can refer me to that, it will be of great help!

Any response will be much appreciated!

Cananm

Mar 7, 2019
1 - Extension went smooth, I had one extension and one transfer during my stay in Canada. For all H1B and GC intent - official address was a Michigan Address.
2 - Yes, H1B location was Michigan and as extension are filled in premium processing that too well in advance. travelling back and forth was not a problem
3- I stayed in US between Attorney sending the application and getting a decision ( not sure if that matters)

Thanks for sharing your experience!!

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
Initial H1B 2020 to Sep 2023 (Company A). Applied for extension (COS) through Company A premium processing received RFE, NOID, and denied. Company ALocation NJ, WFH location NJ, client location TX. LCA for extension - Place of Employment 1 was TX, Place of Employment 2 was WFH address (my house). Could anyone please let me know if you think this is the correct way of filing an LCA?

In the interim found Company B did an H1 transfer via consular processing and got approved. Please let me know what you guys think. As the HR/attorneys aren't ready to share the rfe or noid notices.