+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File transferred to NY, should I panic?

kaisa

Nov 17, 2008
Hi,

We are trying to sponsor my mother-in-law. Today we received a file from Buffalo indicating that her file was sent to NY where they "will complete the analysis of your application and determine if a personal interview with a visa officer is required." I am concerned because I am not sure we will be able to get her a US visa if the interview is required.

Could anybody tell me if this is a normal process or if this means that they will request the interview 100%?

Thank you.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
I believe the interview will be in her home country not in NY, so you don't need to panic. Once they determine that the interview will be necessary then it will take place in her country where she is living or if she is in Canada, they will interview here there.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hI

NewYorker said:
I believe the interview will be in her home country not in NY, so you don't need to panic. Once they determine that the interview will be necessary then it will take place in her country where she is living or if she is in Canada, they will interview here there.
It sounds like the she is Canada and they are processing through the US. They will interview her in New York not Canada.

PMM

kaisa

Nov 17, 2008
PMM said:
hI

NewYorker said:
It sounds like the she is Canada and they are processing through the US. They will interview her in New York not Canada.

PMM
That's right. She is in Canada so if she needs an interview, it is going to be in the US. When we filed the application we put her home country as a country where we wanted her application to be processed but for some unknown reason they decided to send her file to the US.

Anyways, I know that the interview will be in the US. What I am not sure about is whether the interview is going to be needed at all. I dont understand why would they transfer the file from Buffalo to NY unless the interview was needed and if it was how come they did not let us know right away. I am just hoping that this is a normal procedure when they transfer the file from Buffalo to NY before the decision is made.

Thank you :)

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
If your mother in law was legally admitted into Canada for a year, they will send it to Buffalo since that's the closest visa office.

You should try to get her a US visa appointment as soon as possible, because either way, even if she doesn't have an interview, she'll have to go to the US and re-enter to "land" (or become a Permanent Resident) when it's been processed.

If you want more information as to why the file was sent to Buffalo, you should call the CIC call centre and ask them how you can get more info on this.

antonia

Nov 20, 2008
hi ,
i am new please because our case is the same .please can you tell me what date did you send the application?
on what visa she remained in canada
thanks

M

med

no need to panic kaisa its a normal procedure and no one can tell you whether she will be called for an interview or not till she gets anwser from then ; it will be fine ; good luck

kaisa

Nov 17, 2008
We started process in January 2006, her application was filed in Buffalo in April.

I contacted a lawyer and she told me that as of September 08 Buffalo no longer processes family class applications - they only do skilled workers.

Thank you everyone for help.