+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Figure out Month + Date when I became Citizen?

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
Me and my family came to Canada a long long time ago, and we became canadian citizen's a few years later. Now on my current Citizenship card, it only has the picture, DOB, eye color, name and it states YP-AP, which is 1997, i know it was issued in the year 1997, but we dont have the month/date on what it was issued. And if I wanted to apply for the search, processing time is 10 months just to get my exact date issued.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-search-citizenship-records.html

I am doing a sponsorship application, and it asks when I became Naturalized Canadian citizen, and it wants Year, Month, and Day. I only know Year. Is there any way to get the month/day without paying 75$ and applying CIT0058 and waiting 10 months?

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Me and my family came to Canada a long long time ago, and we became canadian citizen's a few years later. Now on my current Citizenship card, it only has the picture, DOB, eye color, name and it states YP-AP, which is 1997, i know it was issued in the year 1997, but we dont have the month/date on what it was issued. And if I wanted to apply for the search, processing time is 10 months just to get my exact date issued.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-search-citizenship-records.html

I am doing a sponsorship application, and it asks when I became Naturalized Canadian citizen, and it wants Year, Month, and Day. I only know Year. Is there any way to get the month/day without paying 75$ and applying CIT0058 and waiting 10 months?
Do you have your earlier passports? You could potentially narrow down within a month's margin of error based on the date it was issued.

Additionally, you could send in an explanation letter along with your sponsorship application. It is very understandable why you do not have access to the specific date, especially given the government themselves bothered not to mention it on your documentation.

Alternatively, you could contact IRCC directly and receive the best recommendation for your situation.

Good luck!

Son-of-A-Gun

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
I've been exactly in the same situation ( I became a citizen in 1997 and I sponsored my wife some 4 years ago). I put the year only (1997) and it was accepted. I remember that another form asked for the detailed date so I put 01-01-1997 and it went through. Sponsorship was accepted ans now my wife is applying for her citizenship.

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
Do you have your earlier passports? You could potentially narrow down within a month's margin of error based on the date it was issued.

Additionally, you could send in an explanation letter along with your sponsorship application. It is very understandable why you do not have access to the specific date, especially given the government themselves bothered not to mention it on your documentation.

Alternatively, you could contact IRCC directly and receive the best recommendation for your situation.

Good luck!
No Our whole family only has current passports, and all our current citizenship cards. Its not our fauly they did not write the Month+Year on the citizenship cards.

All my dad knows it that it was 1997 in the Winter, and it was cold, and he entered the office to pickup his card and it was warm. So Probably Dec,Jan,Feb... But not sure what to put lol

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
I've been exactly in the same situation ( I became a citizen in 1997 and I sponsored my wife some 4 years ago). I put the year only (1997) and it was accepted. I remember that another form asked for the detailed date so I put 01-01-1997 and it went through. Sponsorship was accepted ans now my wife is applying for her citizenship.
So if I put 1997-01-14 for example, I should be fine? or should I put 1997-01-01

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
Has anyone tried? Search of citizenship records? application? Apparently if I write urgent, I get it faster?

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Has anyone tried? Search of citizenship records? application? Apparently if I write urgent, I get it faster?
You are wasting your time. You need to have strong reasoning for urgency (a sponsorship does not qualify as such). Given you have your citizenship card, you absolutely do not qualify under any other grounds either. Even so, you are looking at a couple of months with urgent processing. Without it, you are looking at more than a year.

With that said, it bears repeating that you are wasting your time. Provide the ball-park date as @Son-of-A-Gun suggested & provide it with an explanation letter if you feel necessary.

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
You are wasting your time. You need to have strong reasoning for urgency (a sponsorship does not qualify as such). Given you have your citizenship card, you absolutely do not qualify under any other grounds either. Even so, you are looking at a couple of months with urgent processing. Without it, you are looking at more than a year.

With that said, it bears repeating that you are wasting your time. Provide the ball-park date as @Son-of-A-Gun suggested & provide it with an explanation letter if you feel necessary.
yes i do qualify to apply for it. One of the reasons stated is “to confirm date you became canadian citizen (naturalised)”. So i am able to apply.

i’ll just put 1997-01-01. And attach a letter of reasoning probebly. At the same time, i’ll probebly also apply to confirm my naturalisation date anyway. Does not hurt to have a copy of it.