+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension for a post grad work permit

Nov 11, 2022
Hello people!

I have some confusion regarding my case.
So I have a post grad Work Permit that expires next year at the end of February, I am trying to start my process for a PR, starting with a PEQ as a worker. I want to submit all my papers this weekend but there is something that is holding me back.

The processing time for a PEQ is 6 months. But my Work Permit expires in 3 months. Now the logical thing to do would be to ask for a work permit extension but it seems that since I have a post grad Work permit, I cannot extend it.

I have a job that I love and I am afraid that I might loose it, there is a real chance that my CSQ won't come before the expiry date of my work permit.
The other scenario is that I apply for an open work permit, but for that I need a CAQ, and I cannot process a CAQ while I processes my CSQ.

Please help me I am really at a loss here.

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
What did you decide to do at the end?
Post grad work permit cannot be extended. What program for open work permit did you try to used at the end?
This list can help you see some alternatives.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17

Although I think the best thing you can do for now is apply for a closed work permit, so you can stay at your current job (luckily you seem to like it very much) and in the mean time, you apply for PEQ(6 months) and with the CSQ then you start your PR application (1year+).
If you are currently living in Quebec, you are not a refugee, you are not being abused at your job and/or you are not being sponsor by someone, I don't think you have available options for open work permit. Hope that can help you, if not, consider closed work permit.

Last edited: