+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extending student permit or changing status while in canada

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
hello guys,
i will be doing an exchange semester the next year in Quebec (just for 5 months im not sure if it qualifies for a semester) and I had a few questions in mind, would it be possible for me to extend my student visa if I get admissions from a masters or any PG program even if I have to turn back again to my country to get my bachelors diploma? even if it is possible in theory what is the likelihood of acceptance?
thanks

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
Do you a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)? The one you needed for the study permit.

According to this, yes you can do what you just mentioned.
https://www.quebec.ca/en/education/study-quebec/obtaining-authorizations/study-program-6-months-or-less

That being said, the likelihood of acceptance depends more on the university by accepting you under the condition that you will finish your bachelor before starting their program. After obtaining their letter of acceptance, it should be fine to do the application for renewal of study permit, maybe they will ask for a new CAQ, but I am not sure about that.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Do you a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)? The one you needed for the study permit.

According to this, yes you can do what you just mentioned.
https://www.quebec.ca/en/education/study-quebec/obtaining-authorizations/study-program-6-months-or-less

That being said, the likelihood of acceptance depends more on the university by accepting you under the condition that you will finish your bachelor before starting their program. After obtaining their letter of acceptance, it should be fine to do the application for renewal of study permit, maybe they will ask for a new CAQ, but I am not sure about that.
i was actually referring to the acceptance of the visa not the program, I mailed several institutions im waiting for their response regarding the admission. the biggest obstacle here is returning to get my diploma, would it be possible to apply for visa extension and then go back to get my diploma? do they hold passports until the final decision and how long would it take for them to give me my passport?

thanks

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
I know what you mean. For the extension it doesn't matter to them, as long as a Quebecois institution accepts you into their Master/PhD program, it should be good for the migration office to give you a new study permit valid for the new program, i don't see why they wouldn't, as long as you complete all obligations and don't violate your current study permit, they will be happy to extend/issue a new one.

Do you mean to get a physical copy of your diploma? Did they ask you that for the study permit? or to apply for the universities?
Most universities will accept a scanned version of your diploma for admission, but they will put as a requirement for you to bring an original/certified copy of it before certain time after starting your program(usually one year after you have stared to a maximum of 1 term before ending your studies, if not they will not let you graduate).

Of course you can apply, I don't recall that they ask for a diploma when applying for a study permit.

Only after the study permit has been approved that they will request you passport, about the time I am not sure. Although if you already applied for a study permit as you said you did, it will be more or less the same this time too, for them to withhold your passport.

Best of luck

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
I know what you mean. For the extension it doesn't matter to them, as long as a Quebecois institution accepts you into their Master/PhD program, it should be good for the migration office to give you a new study permit valid for the new program, i don't see why they wouldn't, as long as you complete all obligations and don't violate your current study permit, they will be happy to extend/issue a new one.

Do you mean to get a physical copy of your diploma? Did they ask you that for the study permit? or to apply for the universities?
Most universities will accept a scanned version of your diploma for admission, but they will put as a requirement for you to bring an original/certified copy of it before certain time after starting your program(usually one year after you have stared to a maximum of 1 term before ending your studies, if not they will not let you graduate).

Of course you can apply, I don't recall that they ask for a diploma when applying for a study permit.

Only after the study permit has been approved that they will request you passport, about the time I am not sure. Although if you already applied for a study permit as you said you did, it will be more or less the same this time too, for them to withhold your passport.

Best of luck
thank youu, and are these points also valid for the provinces other than Quebec? Im just not sure if they would treat all the extensions the same, I know it is very likely to get approval if you want to entend your visa to continue your education in second or third year of undergrad but as I will go there as an exchange student just for 5 months I feel like I might get rejected

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
thank youu, and are these points also valid for the provinces other than Quebec? Im just not sure if they would treat all the extensions the same, I know it is very likely to get approval if you want to entend your visa to continue your education in second or third year of undergrad but as I will go there as an exchange student just for 5 months I feel like I might get rejected
For other provinces? I cannot tell, i did all my documents for Quebec only.
Even if is rejected, you can still apply for a new study permit, if a University takes you in and you get a letter of acceptance, it wouldn't be an issue for immigration to give you a new CAQ(if it is in Quebec) and study permit. I do think that if you change universities from the one you are doing your exchange now, you will need a new study permit regardless. As that one authorizes you to study only at that particular university.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
For other provinces? I cannot tell, i did all my documents for Quebec only.
Even if is rejected, you can still apply for a new study permit, if a University takes you in and you get a letter of acceptance, it wouldn't be an issue for immigration to give you a new CAQ(if it is in Quebec) and study permit. I do think that if you change universities from the one you are doing your exchange now, you will need a new study permit regardless. As that one authorizes you to study only at that particular university.
my current university is in italy, if I decide to do my masters in lets say McGill but im registered to Concordia as an exchange student would I need a new student permit? I thought extending the permit would be enough?

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
my current university is in italy, if I decide to do my masters in lets say McGill but im registered to Concordia as an exchange student would I need a new student permit? I thought extending the permit would be enough?
Usually it is enough, as most people extend their permit because they want to stay longer at the same university for a variety of reasons (lost exam, take more classes, internship, delay thesis, etc.). If you want to be sure, check your study permit, in "Institution name" and "Field of study", if it says Concordia or any university, that way you would know that that study permit is only valid for Concordia or if it is for others. In any case, it is better you check with the university you are applying to (ex. McGill), as they have offices for international students affairs, and have experience with similar cases.