+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extending mom visitor's visa

mrs_peters

Jan 8, 2012
Hi everyone!

Just wanna ask if there's anyone here who tried to apply online to extend their visitors visa..

My mom's visa is good til March 10, and we want to extend her visit because we are expecting another child
on August. And she wants to be here when that happen..

Was is easy to do it online? because we tried asking an immigration lawyer here and it will cost us $200 plus
the application fee $75 if they will do it for us.. its kinda too much, we need to save money for our baby..
Just wondering if there's anyone that tried it, pls help..i need some info..

Answers will be much appreciated... :)

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What you will be extending is the visitor record - which is separate from the visa. The visitor record is the document provided at the point of entry by the Canadian Border Services; oftentimes though, this is just in a form of a stamp in the passport. Nevertheless, both contain the date until which you can legally stay within the country.

It is easy enough. The online application system allows you to save your work and review it before proceeding. Also there is a period until when you need to submit/transmit the online application once you start. And you don't have to provide payment immediately while you are filling in the application; this is a later step. Before you can submit/transmit your complete application, they system prompts you to upload scanned copies of supporting documents - and there is also a period until when you need to complete uploading all the supporting docs. Don't worry - there is plenty of time provided. And be patient but thorough in completing the sections.

Note by the way, give at least a month before the expiry date of the visa - these times are always changing so don't tarry too much. Also, note that upon submission of the application - your mother has 'implied status' as a visitor/temporary resident and can still stay here even if the application is under process and there are no results yet.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are most welcome. Best of luck to your mom's application

mrs_peters

Jan 8, 2012
I have one more question pls..
can we use my husband's T4 and my T4 for financial support since we
are the ones who support my mom's needs here??

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not too familiar with the use of T4s as proof of funds - these contain too much personal details on income. Typically bank statements are used. But that does not mean you cannot use them (T4s). What I suggest would be for both you and your husband to jointly write a letter and attach them to the application (letter of support) stating you and your husband are responsible for supporting your mom's care and expenses while visiting you and include as proof - banks statements and T4s. Also, state there - she will be staying with you the whole time and provide your residence address and contact numbers.

Also, it will not hurt is you and your husband also write a preface letter - stating why you will need your mom here (i.e. assistance in the newborn, while you are pregnant etc.). And make sure it is attached to the application. This supports your mom's reason for applying for an extension.

Good Luck.

mrs_peters

Jan 8, 2012
By the way,
we got an affidavit of Support when we applied my mom's TRV.
Maybe we can use that to proof that we are supporting her needs.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Certainly you can use that in support of your application. Take care of the validity - if there ever is one, and also, look if there is something specific in that affidavit that ties it only to the initial TRV (date of visit, duration etc.). If it is generic or 'vanilla' (non-specific) then I think you can still reuse it. If ever I learned anything from my experiences with CIC, it is that they tend to favor specific reasons why an request is made (i.e. extension, permit, visa).

mrs_peters

Jan 8, 2012
Goodnews!

My mom's application to extend her visitors record has been approved..
and the awesome thing is they gave her 2 years to stay here and cic didn't ask anything about Medical Insurance..
We applied online and it took 1week and we got the approval letter :)

shaznaz75

Feb 25, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2015
Doc's Request.
24-11-2015
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
19-05-2016
Med's Done....
20-11-2015
Interview........
10-02-2017
Passport Req..
10-02-2017
LANDED..........
10-02-2017
Great News. And good luck with your pregnancy.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Excellent news! Then you have more time to have your mom here to help you and bond with her grandchild!

sweet_mahsa

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Mrs Peters,

I was wondering if you can help me out, I want to apply for an extension, what documents were exactly needed? copy of passport, and the document received upon entry and proof of my income and medical insurance? is that all that is needed or is there more?

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
mrs_peters said:
Goodnews!

My mom's application to extend her visitors record has been approved..
and the awesome thing is they gave her 2 years to stay here and cic didn't ask anything about Medical Insurance..
We applied online and it took 1week and we got the approval letter :)
Congrats.