+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experiences on U.S. Citizen getting Spousal PR Medicals done in Canada

astachel

Oct 14, 2008
Hello,

I'm new to the forum but it appears to be a very valuable resource. I'm about to be sponsored by my new wife for PR. I am visiting her where she lives in Canada. I have seen many posts that say it is legal to get the medical exam done in Canada as long as the appropriate form is used. What I'd like to know is whether people that have done this have encounter issues later due to this (particularly with the forms going to the wrong place)? I'd like to make an informed decision about doing it now or waiting until I get back to the States to have it done there, since we've decided to apply outland.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are still supposed to get all the forms together and send them to the same place if I remember correctly. After sponsorship is approved, it would be immigration Canada that sends them to Buffalo. I've heard that it's cheaper to get it done in Canada. I have never heard about anybody having any problems with it.

thelovelymrst

Mar 17, 2008
I've just sent my application off, but I wanted to reply because I had my medicals done in Canada. During the appointment, I specifically specified that I was going to do an Outland application, something the office easily did for me. I watched them fill out the appropriate form, and they gave me receipt to send with my application. I don't know if Inland has that. I think the DMP sends the results directly to the appropriate person. With me, they gave me a medical receipt form, affixed an immigration picture on the front page, stamped it with their DMP number, and had me fill out some info. You will know that you are sending the right form, because with an Outland application, you will need to send the medical receipt to show that you had the medical done. I can't remember the wording, but it does indicate that it's for an outland application.

I hope this helps you.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
There are different forms to use for outland as opposed to inland - they're included in the respective application packets. Take the appropriate form with you to the DMP (whether s/he is in Canada or in another country). The DMP will give you the form you need to include with your PR application, and will send your results to the Regional Medical Centre for your area. When CIC is ready to review the results, they request them from the RMC.

I had my exam done in Canada - using inland forms because, at the time, we thought we were going to file inland. We ended up filing outland, but because the RMC in Ottawa handles inland applicant's results as well as US applicant (outland) results, Buffalo was able to request ours without incident.

Worried

Nov 10, 2008
Would it cost anything for an American to get a medical check done while waiting in Canada as a visitor, since they wouldn't be covered by the health care system?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, even if they were covered by healthcare, it would cost. Healthcare covers things you need done for your health, not things you need done for insurance, immigration or other purposes.