Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
My Chinese wife will be submitting an application for a temporary visa to Canada, soon.

There are two forms that I am uncertain whether to complete or not: the Education and Employment form, and the Family Composition form.

Neither are mentioned in the Document Checklist, but they are included at the end of the Instructions (IMM5256).

First, are they required?

If so, where can I access them to be able to complete them by computer, then print out, like I can with the IMM forms? Otherwise I’ll have to print out and complete by hand. If you’ve seen my handwriting you’ll understand why I want to type the information.

Thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
toby said:
My Chinese wife will be submitting an application for a temporary visa to Canada, soon.

There are two forms that I am uncertain whether to complete or not: the Education and Employment form, and the Family Composition form.

Neither are mentioned in the Document Checklist, but they are included at the end of the Instructions (IMM5256).

First, are they required?

If so, where can I access them to be able to complete them by computer, then print out, like I can with the IMM forms? Otherwise I'll have to print out and complete by hand. If you've seen my handwriting you'll understand why I want to type the information.

Thanks.
Your wife needs to complete form IMM 5257. For questions 9 and 10, write her current position/job and name and address of her employer (if she's working), or if student, her course and the name and address of her school/university/college. For question 11, just that names/addresses of persons or places she's going to visit. No additional forms except IMM 5409 if you are in a CLP or IMM 5476 if you're applying thru a representative.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Thanks, but what's a CLP? I need to buy a vowel! :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Thanks for your advice. You're sure, right?

WHy, I wonder, would Immigration confuse the issue by adding two forms (calling for a lot of education information and Family information) at the end of an illustration of how to complete the application, when those forms are not required? Just to yank our chains?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Re: Education and Family composition forms -- deliberate confusion??!!

It gets even more curious!!

Now the local Visa Application Centre says the Family Composition Information form and the Details of Education and Employment form ARE required as part of an applicatin for a temporary (visitor's) visa. I even emailed them a copy of each form to be sure we were talking about the same forms.

So, the question remains, if Canada wants these forms to be completed, why do they hide them as an add-on to an illustration of how to complete the application -- that not everyone will bother reading? Why are these forms in a "dead" format, so that I must print them out and complete by hand, but I cannot input the information by computer as is possible with all the IMM forms? ANd why are these forms not mentioned in the document checklist -- IMM5484?

It's as if Canada wants us to submit an incomplete application!!

Has anyone submitted a temporary visa application WITHOUT these forms?

Toby

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Re: Education and Family composition forms -- deliberate confusion??!!

toby said:
It gets even more curious!!

Now the local Visa Application Centre says the Family Composition Information form and the Details of Education and Employment form ARE required as part of an applicatin for a temporary (visitor's) visa. I even emailed them a copy of each form to be sure we were talking about the same forms.

So, the question remains, if Canada wants these forms to be completed, why do they hide them as an add-on to an illustration of how to complete the application -- that not everyone will bother reading? Why are these forms in a "dead" format, so that I must print them out and complete by hand, but I cannot input the information by computer as is possible with all the IMM forms? ANd why are these forms not mentioned in the document checklist -- IMM5484?

It's as if Canada wants us to submit an incomplete application!!

Has anyone submitted a temporary visa application WITHOUT these forms?

Toby
What visa office are you applying from?

Application for a Temporary Resident Visa
(IMM 5257)
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union
(IMM 5409)
Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)
Document Checklist (IMM 5484)

From CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/pdf/kits/guides/5256E.PDF

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
A local visa office sometimes asks for additional documents or information. You have to submit the "package" that the local visa office is asking for or they return your application for being "incomplete".

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This must be the case. I used the application forms and guide you cited, but happened upon TRV_KIT_2008 obtained at the Beijing embassy website.

There, Beijing tells you to complete the IMM forms you mention, but at then end of the guidelines, there is an almsot empty page, and then they attach the two forms. Very easy to miss them. Almost like its a test or something nefarious.

ANd the more curious thing is that the Hong Kong Visa Office encourages me to use the Visa Application Centre in Guangzhou, and this office has the choice of forwarding the application to either Hong Kong or Beijing. Yet only Beijing requires these two extra forms.

It seems a prescription for misunderstanding and incomplete applications through no fault of the applicant.