+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Duty on new Items in Alberta.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Hi All,

I am landing in Calgary, I have a question about Duty on new items. I have some items that I purchased recently - can someone please shed some light on how much the duty would be for lets say $1000.00.

I need to know this before I land so I appreciate if someone give some insights.

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

NewYorker said:
Hi All,

I am landing in Calgary, I have a question about Duty on new items. I have some items that I purchased recently - can someone please shed some light on how much the duty would be for lets say $1000.00.

I need to know this before I land so I appreciate if someone give some insights.

Thanks,
1. The question falls into the category of "how long is a piece of string"
2. Duty and taxes are based on where the item was manufactured. If the item was made in the US or Mexico, the duty would be negligible, but you would pay GST. But if it was jewelry made outside N/A then then the duty could range to 60% of value.
3. Your best bet is to phone CBSA (no. on their web site) and ask specifically for the items what the rate is.

PMM

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for your reply,

60% sounds too much, I have a flat screen which is made in Mexico plus some other small electronics which are not made in Mexico. That is too expensive - is it okay to say only TV is new and rest is old? What if they open my shipment? Lets say the total is about $1500 if this will subject to 60% then I will end up paying $900.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Hello All,

I just talk to CBSA and asked them the details on the goods to follow. They told me that it doesn't matter if the goods are newer and less than 6 months old, the 6 months rule is for the people who are returning to Canada not for the first time immigrant like me. So if I bring new items, its not a problem as long as they were in use prior to bringing them in Canada.

She told me that if the things were purchased even 1 month ago and you open and used them, then you can bring them in for duty free and there will be no tax either.

I just wanted to let everyone know who may be interested. I talked to the CBSA agent directly and their number is 204-983-3500 ( From outside Canada)

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good luck with your Canadian life, NewYorker! Wondering if cars are also classified the same way as other goods?

Best Regards
OrangeCounty

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Yes they are if they are used in the US of A - which means no duty. The only problem with the car is you need lots of paperwork from both sides of the border and its a hassle which I don't want and anyway I don't own a title on a car so I can't import.

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
I recently landed in Canada and drove across the country to Calgary from Ontario... When I crossed the border the items I declared were all duty free. Granted the most expensive item was my Saturn with an estimate value of @ $3000.00. Yes you will be asked if you have any items that are worth $10k or more and you should declare those items and having a receipt would be helpful or having the item appraised with a certificate would be handy.

You will luck out in Alberta as the GST is only 5%

If you are importing your vehicle, be sure you EXPORT it from the USA first...

Good Luck