+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual Registration of a Vehicle

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I was doing some research and it seems my former U.S. state, which I visit regularly, actually requires you to title and register your vehicle there if it will be in the state for more than 60 days in any calendar year. The days do not even have to be consecutive. There is a provision in the law that allows a non-resident to dually register their cars: meaning that they are registered and titled in more than one state at the same time. I called the DMV there and asked if this applied to vehicles registered in Canada and the response was a flat out NO.

Seems like this raises a strange situation, where I am unable to comply with the law. I am not eligible for a non-resident permit, but also can't dually register my car. Has anyone else encountered this situation? Can a vehicle be dually registered in the U.S. and Canada? Do Canadian snowbirds encounter this situation?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You don't see a conflict there?

The law requires me to register my car in the state if it is there more than 60 days out of a calendar year. Yet, they said you cannot dual register a Canadian car. There is no obvious way for Canadians to comply with the state law.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
As the person at the DMV said, the law doesn't apply to cars registered in Canada.

So that means you don't do it. Even if you have 60 days in the state.

You only dual-register your car if you're living in 2 states - not 2 countries.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
OK, that's what I will tell the cops when the nosey neighbors report my vehicle to the police. Thanks!