+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dual intent

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Can anyone clarify this "dual intent"? It's not very clear on the website (at least for me). Thanks!

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Pretending to go to Canada for one reason,But Actually going for another reason,For example going as a temporary Foriegn Worker,But intending to Immigrate instead

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

malcesine said:
Can anyone clarify this "dual intent"? It's not very clear on the website (at least for me). Thanks!
Read : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/intent.asp which gives the definition of dual intent for students, it applies to visitors and workers as well.

PMM

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Thanks BCguy and PMM!

Do either of you two have any idea what the chances of being DENIED a study permit to someone from Europe??

:)

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Back to the dual intent, as I'm still not clear about it in my friend's case. Does the person have to be enrolled in a College or University course. Or can it be an ESL course. Secondly, if someone does come here to study English, then change course or program, and after that wants to live here . How long (roughly) will it take to get Permanent Resident? Will they be denied??

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Dual intent means...

You have a permenent residence application in to immigrate here.

You also want to come visit while you are waiting and get a Temporary visa for the visit.

Basically you are allowed to visit for other reasons while you are trying to immigrate as well. You still have to follow all the rules of the temporary visa.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
This explains it very well. Basically, dual intent means that while you may intend to immigrate to Canada permanently (i.e. you have an open PR application), you can still enter Canada as a visitor in the meantime. However, if you are going to do this, ask your lawyer (if you have one) for a letter explaining dual intent so you can show it to the BSO if they are having a hard time figuring it out.

frolic said:
Dual intent means...

You have a permenent residence application in to immigrate here.

You also want to come visit while you are waiting and get a Temporary visa for the visit.

Basically you are allowed to visit for other reasons while you are trying to immigrate as well. You still have to follow all the rules of the temporary visa.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Pretending to go to Canada for one reason,But Actually going for another reason,For example going as a temporary Foriegn Worker,But intending to Immigrate instead
This is wrong. That is just lying and trying to sneak into Canada illegally.

Dual intent means you are allowed to have TWO intentions. You intend to immigrate, and you intend to just visit in the meantime. This is allowed because Canada allows dual intent.

The opposite is true in the U.S....they do not accept dual intent so if you apply to immigrate...you will never get a visitor visa at the same time.

Reactions: EsterO

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
More info on dual intent:
http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-canada-dual-intent.html

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
I found this on the CanadaVisa site:

An individual submits an application for a Canada Immigration Visa. Before receiving the Canada Immigration Visa, the individual wishes to visit Canada for a short time and applies for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), or appears at the Port of Entry, if a national of a TRV exempt country. This is perfectly acceptable as long as the individual intends to leave Canada at the end of the visit.

If one intends to Immigrate to Canada, how can one then state that they will leave at the end of the visit? Help me to understand this. It seems quite contradictory.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is like if you are applying for your immigration but while you are waiting (for months or even years) you decide to make a short visit of a couple of weeks to research the job market or the housing market or check out the landscape or whatever and you are going to leave Canada at the end of this short vacation and continue to wait for your immigration back in your homeland.

malcesine

Oct 31, 2008
Ok, thanks Leon. That would mean that you have some kind of "grounds" for the initial application of immigration.

Polaris

Apr 6, 2010
Dominican Republic
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
NOC Code......
0111 & 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan'2008
Doc's Request.
Jul'2010
File Transfer...
feb'2010
Med's Request
nov'2010
Med's Done....
nov'2010
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
Dec'2010
LANDED..........
Thanks for this. I was getting a bit confused too. I see now it's perfectly normal and I'm allowed to ask for TR Visa while waiting for my PR

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
hay guys

Is that same in case PR file in process and applying for student visa. If I manage to convince VO officer?
I mean I can show home ties and all