+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DS 160 questions for daily commuters on H1B visa

TejS

Jun 10, 2019
Daily commuters from Canada to US on H1B visa: how to answer the "how long do you intend to stay in USA,"and "place of stay" questions on DS 160 while renewing the H1B visa for self and H4 visa for spouse? Anybody gone through the renewal process? Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Daily commuters from Canada to US on H1B visa: how to answer the
1. "how long do you intend to stay in USA,"and
2. "place of stay" questions on DS 160
3. while renewing the H1B visa for self and
4. H4 visa for spouse?
5. Anybody gone through the renewal process? Thanks!
1. Mention the number of months of the approval period of I797.
2. Address: Undertermined. City and state: Your office city and state.
I had no issue in getting stamped on using like above in my application during last 2 times stamping in Canada while the home address i mentioned is Canada.
3. It seems that this is the first time stamping at Canada location as you are asking these questions. Also there is no difference between first time and nth time or at same/different location. Just mention the detail as if its first time.
4. For not moving to US, i dont know if you can apply for H4. My attorney wont allow me to process H4 unless i am planning to move to US. Check with your immigration team on it.
5. You mean second time stamping in Canada or second time stamping for the same visa type? I assume that this is your first time stamping in Canada.
But yes, i have gone through the process stamping second time in Canada while being a commuter. Again there is no difference between first/second time at same/different location with respect to eligibility.

Not sure why you are posting in multiple threads but next time please dont post in multiple threads.

Last edited:

TejS

Jun 10, 2019
1. Mention the number of months of the approval period of I797.
2. Address: Undertermined. City and state: Your office city and state.
I had no issue in getting stamped on using like above in my application during last 2 times stamping in Canada while the home address i mentioned is Canada.
3. It seems that this is the first time stamping at Canada location as you are asking these questions. Also there is no difference between first time and nth time or at same/different location. Just mention the detail as if its first time.
4. For not moving to US, i dont know if you can apply for H4. My attorney wont allow me to process H4 unless i am planning to move to US. Check with your immigration team on it.
5. You mean second time stamping in Canada or second time stamping for the same visa type? I assume that this is your first time stamping in Canada.
But yes, i have gone through the process stamping second time in Canada while being a commuter. Again there is no difference between first/second time at same/different location with respect to eligibility.

Not sure why you are posting in multiple threads but next time please dont post in multiple threads.
Great! Thanks! This is very helpful. Sorry about the multiple posts. Wasn't sure about the right thread. Yes, this is the first time I am renewing H1B while not living in USA. Would you recommend getting a visitor Visa instead of H4 for spouse?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Great! Thanks! This is very helpful. Sorry about the multiple posts. Wasn't sure about the right thread. Yes, this is the first time I am renewing H1B while not living in USA. Would you recommend getting a visitor Visa instead of H4 for spouse?
H4: Yes as per my attorney. But please check with your immigration team.
In reality: If your wife needs to travel to just visit US for shopping or visiting places/family/friends then visit visa is more than enough. While being in Canada, US side doesnt create any problem even if H4 visits weekly.