+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving license for Calgary, Alberta

tran

May 10, 2009
Is it advisable for me to take my driving test in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, before I land in Calgary( I have until October 2010 to make my first landing). Driving lessons and test will cost about 10 million VND( about C$540). Will my Vietnamese driving license cut
short the time for me to get my Calgary driving license? Thanks

Yahoo India

Feb 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 2010
Doc's Request.
15-03-2010
AOR Received.
27-04-2010
IELTS Request
03-2010
File Transfer...
15-03-2010
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
As soon as I get Visa
I doubt it will not. You have to give a test in Calgary, however, they will know that you are not a novice. So better if you give in Calgary directly if you know driving well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tran said:
Is it advisable for me to take my driving test in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, before I land in Calgary( I have until October 2010 to make my first landing). Driving lessons and test will cost about 10 million VND( about C$540). Will my Vietnamese driving license cut
As a newly licensed driver, your experience won't be counted. See: http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers_newdrivers.html on how to obtain a license.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you show up in Alberta and want to get licensed as a new driver and do not have an existing drivers license from another country, what will happen is this:

You will be placed in the graduated drivers license program where you are allowed a learners permit (class 7) after passing the written exam. You will then only be allowed to drive with another fully licensed person with you in the car. You need to wait a year until you are allowed to take the basic road test and get a GDL license which will allow you to drive by yourself.

The difference if you have a full license from another country, even if you can not prove driving experience is that you would then be allowed to take the basic road test without waiting a year and get a GDL license.

So.. it's up to you if you want to wait a year or not.

If you go for the Vietnamese license, you need to either get it translated into English by a certified translator or get an international license in Vietnam to bring with you to Canada to prove that what you have in your hand is a drivers license and not a library card.

Here's some info on exchanging a non-AB drivers license: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/drivers_licence.cfm#Exchanging_a_Non-Alberta_Operators_Licence

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
tran said:
Hi Tran

Better for u to just a drivers licence in Vietnam but have it translated in english then when u land in Calgary, AB. U need to take yr licence to the test centre to have yr theory or basic test and then take yr drivers basic test and also the driving test. As mentioned, the only advantage is u can have yr GDL license without having to wait for 1 yr to drive independently.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Anyone from Calgary, AB now, who can help or provide advice. I have had an Alberta drivers licence before in 1991 but have left Calgary and have not renewed it since i left but i have Singapore drivers licence since 1993 till now, i also have a China drivers licence now. Can i get to calgary and ask if they have my records and also show my current licences so that i do not have to take the practical drivers exam and just take the theory based exam only? Any one can help would be valuable.

cono_sur

Star Member
Feb 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
Anyone from Calgary, AB now, who can help or provide advice. I have had an Alberta drivers licence before in 1991 but have left Calgary and have not renewed it since i left but i have Singapore drivers licence since 1993 till now, i also have a China drivers licence now. Can i get to calgary and ask if they have my records and also show my current licences so that i do not have to take the practical drivers exam and just take the theory based exam only? Any one can help would be valuable.
I think you will be able to do a straight exchange because you previously held an Alberta driver's licence.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/drivers_licence.cfm
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType47/Production/reciprocallicensing.pdf