+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driver license - can someone keep US license and get new one in Canada

indianrambo

Jun 6, 2008
I have US license. Recently landed in Canada. Can I keep US license and apply new driver license in Alberta?

I do work in US as and when required, client has locations in US and Canada. So want to keep US license if possible.

Thx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

indianrambo said:
I have US license. Recently landed in Canada. Can I keep US license and apply new driver license in Alberta?

I do work in US as and when required, client has locations in US and Canada. So want to keep US license if possible.

Thx
Nope, they take your US license off of you.

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
What driver's license you hold normally depends on where you live. A Canadian license is valid in the U.S. and vice versa, so don't worry about it, you can drive legally in either country.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

links18 said:
What driver's license you hold normally depends on where you live. A Canadian license is valid in the U.S. and vice versa, so don't worry about it, you can drive legally in either country.
Not quite a person residence in Canada for between 60-90 days (depends on the province) must obtain a Provincial license.

PMM

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
indianrambo said:

Thx
you must surrend your driving licence once you get the new one (canadian of course)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nabeez, your info is only about Ontario. Each province has slightly different rules. The info he needs to exchange his license for an AB license is here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm#Exchanging_a_Non-Alberta_Operators_Licence
Alberta requires him to get an AB license within 90 days after he moved there. If he is exchanging a US license, he will have to give it up. He will be able to use his AB license to legally drive in the US. He might be able to get a new license in the US to replace the one he had to give up to get his AB license but having 2 drivers licenses might be against the law in AB.