+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does this meet our citizenship requirement

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
Hello,

Please we need advice as we need to make decisions soon on what to do.

We landed in July 2007 but stayed for just 14days. Our plan was to come back sometime next year but my husband who is an independent consultant got a contract in Qatar and the pay is too good to pass up.

I read somewhere that if you are employed by a Canadian corporation and you are transferred abroad,you can count the days you are away as been physically here. Because of this,we are looking to set up a corporation,pay tax and all the necessary hassle associated with owning a company. The company will employ us and send us abroad, so we would pay our income tax too.

Does anyone know if this is a viable option? Is it allowed?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
No, it won't work. The regulations state specifically that the company cannot be set up for the specific purpose of maintaining Canadian residency.

There are also other requirements - like that the company must have most of its operations in Canada (or something like that).

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
Thank you very much for your reply.

We have decided that I will move there with the kids and he can do one months off and on.

The new question is,will his days count even when he is away?

I know many people settle there families in Canada and get on with there work in other parts of the world.

Thanks for replying.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tintin said:
Thank you very much for your reply.

We have decided that I will move there with the kids and he can do one months off and on.

The new question is,will his days count even when he is away?

I know many people settle there families in Canada and get on with there work in other parts of the world.

Thanks for replying.
Nope, he has to maintain residence in Canada for 2/5 years to maintain his PR. It is possible if he lives in Canada every 2nd month, but he would never have sufficient time to apply for citizenship.

PMM

tintin

Star Member
Oct 1, 2007
Hi,

Thanks once again.

Are you saying that even with the fact that his family are permanently in Canada,he can't get his citizenship with such arrangement.

What about his family? Would they get citizenship as they were in Canada throughout?

My husband is the main applicant.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tintin said:
Hi,

Thanks once again.

Are you saying that even with the fact that his family are permanently in Canada,he can't get his citizenship with such arrangement.

What about his family? Would they get citizenship as they were in Canada throughout?

My husband is the main applicant.

Thanks.
Immigration and citizenship are two different processes. Your spouse would never obtain 1095 days of physical residence in 4 years for citizenship by residing for 6 months of the year in Canada. If you on the other hand remain for the 1095 days in a 4 year period prior to applying for citizenship, you would be eligible.

PMM