+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

do I need to work with a Canadian employer to eligible for citizenship?

Jul 20, 2019
Hi,

I am a software engineer by profession. I have Canadian permanent residency in Canada and H1-B visa in US. I wanted to work and reside for a couple of years in Canada thereby gaining Canadian citizenship. For some goddam reason, I am not able to find a job in GTA (Greater Toronto Area) {maybe because I am still in SFO, so companies are not ready for remote interviews or not having enough experience or some other stuff}. By all fairness I am only applying to well funded startups in GTA so I am kind of restricting my choices too.

I was wondering if I make my current employer/new employer in US to allow me to work remotely from GTA, would that period be counted in Canadian citizenship requirement?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am a software engineer by profession. I have Canadian permanent residency in Canada and H1-B visa in US. I wanted to work and reside for a couple of years in Canada thereby gaining Canadian citizenship. For some goddam reason, I am not able to find a job in GTA (Greater Toronto Area) {maybe because I am still in SFO, so companies are not ready for remote interviews or not having enough experience or some other stuff}. By all fairness I am only applying to well funded startups in GTA so I am kind of restricting my choices too.

I was wondering if I make my current employer/new employer in US to allow me to work remotely from GTA, would that period be counted in Canadian citizenship requirement?
Short answer is yes.

Canadian citizneship requires physical residency - that's it. You can certainly work remotely.