+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to change my status?

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Hey all,

I'm hoping to be selected in the 6th June draw (454 points) and then submit supporting docs asap and apply for the BOWP via mail before my work permit expires on the 15th June. Once my permit expires on 15th June, do I need to change my status to visitor or can I just do nothing as I'm on implied status until they make a decision regarding BOWP? I'm going to stop working. I'm an Australian living in Canada.

Thank you

EDIT: I just read somewhere else that if I apply for visitor visa, I am no longer under implied status and would therefore cancel my BOWP application. So I just sit tight and do nothing right?

Last edited:

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Do you have a particular reason for submitting BOWP by post?

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Do you have a particular reason for submitting BOWP by post?
Well if I understand correctly you need to upload your AOR when you apply online for BOWP, and considering ill only have a couple of days before my work permit expires I dont think I’ll have it in time. By the time they get around to processing my BOWP application via mail, they look in the system and see I have AOR and it’s in the next approval stage (or something to that effect - it’s early!)

Correct me if I’m wrong

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
You will recieve an online e-AOR within 24 hours (and normally quicker) of submitting an online PR application. You can use this to proceed with an online BOWP application. The system previously required the written AOR letter confirming eligibility approval (R10) to have been received prior to submitting the BOWP but this was changed. Now the BOWP application can be submitted as soon as the PR application e-AOR has been received but a decision on the BOWP will be held until the R10 eligibilty for PR has been assessed and approved. I submitted a BOWP application the day after PR and received a decision confirmation of both on the same day.

Reactions: Alyssa659

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
You will recieve an online e-AOR within 24 hours (and normally quicker) of submitting an online PR application. You can use this to proceed with an online BOWP application. The system previously required the written AOR letter confirming eligibility approval (R10) to have been received prior to submitting the BOWP but this was changed. Now the BOWP application can be submitted as soon as the PR application e-AOR has been received but a decision on the BOWP will be held until the R10 eligibilty for PR has been assessed and approved. I submitted a BOWP application the day after PR and received a decision confirmation of both on the same day.
So the only way my BOWP could be rejected is if I miss something in my application or something of the sort? I saw this in another thread...

"Before issuing a BOWP, officers must check the Global Case Management System (GCMS) to ensure that the CIO has reviewed the application and determined that it meets the requirements of a complete application as described in sections R10 and R12.01. If the e‑APR is incomplete, the application for a BOWP must be refused."

Are you saying that a) it's no problem for my BOWP to be held at the visa office until eligibility has been passed
or b) if they check it and eligibility hasn't been passed, is that deemed incomplete and gets rejected?

Last edited:

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Yes if your PR application is rejected because it is incomplete or because you do not meet PR eligibility then the BOWP application will also be rejected. Effectively that would mean you would lose status if you did not have a valid work permit. Although I did see one poster on this forum had a PR application rejected for an administrative error and managed to get their BOWP resurrected when they resubmitted for PR quickly.

The statement you quote is correct but the BOWP application can be submitted and will be held awaiting R10 / R12.01 approval stage in your PR application.

In answer to your queries:
Yes it will await PR eligibilty checks. Obviously the BOWP does not rely solely on the PR eligibilty there are some conditions attached to the BOWP and the BOWP forms have to be correct. e.g. You can only apply for BOWP if you are within 4 months of your old work permit expiring and you must have a valid work permit when you apply.

HTH

Last edited:

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Yes if your PR application is rejected because it is incomplete or because you do not meet PR eligibility then the BOWP application will also be rejected. Effectively that would mean you would lose status if you did not have a valid work permit. Although I did see one poster on this forum had a PR application rejected for an administrative error and managed to get their BOWP resurrected when they resubmitted for PR quickly.

The statement you quote is correct but the BOWP application can be submitted and will be held awaiting R10 / R12.01 approval stage in your PR application.

In answer to your queries:
Yes it will await PR eligibilty checks. Obviously the BOWP does not rely solely on the PR eligibilty there are some conditions attached to the BOWP and the BOWP forms have to be correct. e.g. You can only apply for BOWP if you are within 4 months of your old work permit expiring and you must have a valid work permit when you apply.

HTH
Thank you kindly, monkeyspanner.

I will try and keep my questions to a minimum... I am trying to find the info online but if you have gone through it, that helps.

Ok so get ITA, apply for BOWP, be on implied status.

Problem is I wanted to surprise my parents in Hawaii on 9th August. I know if I leave the country my implied status is no longer. I'm assuming (if I do go), I can just get a new ETA and return on Aussie passport, and show as much documentation as possible when I land in Canada (PoFs, receipts, AOR, etc). I'm trying to work out a timeline on when the BOWP may be approved but not having much luck... online says 45 days, is that 45 days from when I submit, or 45 days from when R10 is passed? (Sorry if that seems stupid, I have read so much information I actually think I have lost my mind).

How long did yours take from applying for BOWP to receiving it in the mail? I am trying to assess how long I would be out of work after I return mid-August from USA (not a huge, huge deal *I suppose* as I thought I wouldn't have worked for 3 or so months after submitting BOWP via mail - I thought I couldn't work until I physically received my next work permit... strange I know).

Last edited:

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Yes if you leave Canada you will lose implied status.
An eTA is your alternative to re-enter Canada, remember to bring proof of funds as you may have to demonstrate to the immigration officer that you can support yourself whilst waiting for PR.
I am not sure if the online application leadtimes published refer to days from application or days from R10. At the time the BOWP lead time was published as 55 days and I received PR (PPR) and BOWP on the same day 59 days after application. BOWP's are issued by e-mail and in my case an eTA was issued at the same time (without my asking for one), both appeared on my online account. From what I have seen I was lucky with the speed of my PR application which was processed without additional info being required. I would have thought you would be lucky to complete both applications and get your BOWP prior to 9th August but it could happen.
Are you ready to submit e-APR i.e. do you have all docs and info you need? Medical exam, qualification verification, language tests, police check/s, employer letters, residence and travel historys? It is several hours work just to upload the e-APR.
I assume Australia is a visa exempt country, if it is once you get PPR you do not have to physically submit your passport but you have to mail a copy and form to IRCC then they will send you a physical CoPR document that will allow you to "land". Landing confirms your PR then you wait for your PR card which you need to travel.
Have a great time in Hawaii, hope the volcano has settled down by then!

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Yes if you leave Canada you will lose implied status.
An eTA is your alternative to re-enter Canada, remember to bring proof of funds as you may have to demonstrate to the immigration officer that you can support yourself whilst waiting for PR.
I am not sure if the online application leadtimes published refer to days from application or days from R10. At the time the BOWP lead time was published as 55 days and I received PR (PPR) and BOWP on the same day 59 days after application. BOWP's are issued by e-mail and in my case an eTA was issued at the same time (without my asking for one), both appeared on my online account. From what I have seen I was lucky with the speed of my PR application which was processed without additional info being required. I would have thought you would be lucky to complete both applications and get your BOWP prior to 9th August but it could happen.
Are you ready to submit e-APR i.e. do you have all docs and info you need? Medical exam, qualification verification, language tests, police check/s, employer letters, residence and travel historys? It is several hours work just to upload the e-APR.
I assume Australia is a visa exempt country, if it is once you get PPR you do not have to physically submit your passport but you have to mail a copy and form to IRCC then they will send you a physical CoPR document that will allow you to "land". Landing confirms your PR then you wait for your PR card which you need to travel.
Have a great time in Hawaii, hope the volcano has settled down by then!
Just confirming, I can apply for BOWP, leave canada (this is all a maybe at this point), lose implied status, not work until I receive the next work permit in the mail, then go back to working?

Wow, you were extremely lucky!

I am waiting on WES results (says 30th May so fingers crossed), have done IELTS, got my police cert sent to my parents place in Aus and and they scanned it to me, have two employment letters, have the funds across a canadian account and aus account, doing medical on 29th May...

Question:
1. Do I just need my employment letters, or do I need other things such as pay slips etc?
2. What do we need for travel history? I thought we just needed to enter it all in... or are you saying get those dates organised so I can just enter them in?
3. As I'm doing upfront medical, they should give me some kind of form on the day that I can upload when I get ITA? I might call them and see if I need to bring any forms
4. Does everyone need to submit photos, or is that just dependent on the application? They sound like a pain

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
Yes I believe that will be the process although I did not leave during BOWP application process. Would be worth double checking you can leave whilst BOWP in progress.

You seem well prepared.

1. I also loaded payslips but mainly because I had irregular hours from multiple part time and full time jobs. Some people also load T4s and Canadian revenue NOAs I did not upload these.
2. Yes you need travel by exact dates for the last 10 years or since you were 18 years old. Luckily my parents keep records. Its easier if you have a list. You also need residency list and personal history list which is what you were doing e.g. study, vacation, unemployed, employed.
3. Yes I got a form with photo and passport data to confirm medical was done. Not sure if all providers give you that straight away. Results go straight to IRCC and you don't see the results.
4. Yes you will need a photo file to upload. I went to a local photographer and they provided file and hard copies in the right format for the e-APR and subsequent request for confirmation of passport details you will be asked for when your aplication is approved.

One thing to note is that IRCC imply you will get a personalised document list but the document requirements are not given until you start the e-APR.
HTH

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Yes I believe that will be the process although I did not leave during BOWP application process. Would be worth double checking you can leave whilst BOWP in progress.

You seem well prepared.

1. I also loaded payslips but mainly because I had irregular hours from multiple part time and full time jobs. Some people also load T4s and Canadian revenue NOAs I did not upload these.
2. Yes you need travel by exact dates for the last 10 years or since you were 18 years old. Luckily my parents keep records. Its easier if you have a list. You also need residency list and personal history list which is what you were doing e.g. study, vacation, unemployed, employed.
3. Yes I got a form with photo and passport data to confirm medical was done. Not sure if all providers give you that straight away. Results go straight to IRCC and you don't see the results.
4. Yes you will need a photo file to upload. I went to a local photographer and they provided file and hard copies in the right format for the e-APR and subsequent request for confirmation of passport details you will be asked for when your aplication is approved.

One thing to note is that IRCC imply you will get a personalised document list but the document requirements are not given until you start the e-APR.
HTH
I started this whole thread under CEC however I’m applying under the Federal Skilled Worker stream. So I don’t have Canadian payslips etc to upload.
Ah good to know about the photo... I was unsure if it was only certain people that had to provide it or it was everyone. Damn! Off to try and sort that...

I may have other questions later on. I really appreciate your help for a totally clueless person like me