+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DO Canadian IT Firms Consider Indian IT Experience OR Treat Them As Fresher?

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
Now a days I am hearing lot of rumors from every one saying Indian experience is of no use in Canada when you go out for job search.

Can any one please unveil the truth?

Here is the additional information about me:

My Career Info
I am hoping to hit NAIT in Jan with DMIT as my program after two years of IT experience in Cloud Computing (Salesforce).

Question:
Will my 2 years Indian IT experience be considered by Canadian firms or I have to hunt for the job as a fresher after my course completion?

Thanks In Advance,
Jaimal.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Jaimal said:
Now a days I am hearing lot of rumors from every one saying Indian experience is of no use in Canada when you go out for job search.
It is not nowadays, it has been like this for the past 2 decades.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd like to take that up a notch, its happening since Canada came into existence

May 30, 2014
Yes, indian experience is not considered as the equivalent of canadian as this is not surprising. If an immigrant from South Sudan moved to India, would his experience be considered as the equivalent of Indian???

Countries often tend to underestimate skills of people from those countries that they think are less developed.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Jaimal said:
Will my 2 years Indian IT experience be considered by Canadian firms or I have to hunt for the job as a fresher after my course completion?
Fresher, even with 5 or 7 years you will have to start from zero... unless you got lucky....

Add to not being Canadian experience also the problem that it is Indian experience, call centers and offshore teams have given a terrible reputation to Indian IT experience.

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for all the Help!

After hearing all this I am more prepared for the upcoming challenges to accept them as hurdles which ends up a person to one level higher ;)

NewtoPR

Jun 3, 2014
In Canada only Canadian exp matters , even if you worked in US /india they don't count it at all...i had seen examples of people worked 5 years in USA is not even considered for screening due to no Canadian exp.

When we talk about canadian exp it matters as its not only what skills you posses but its more about how much you can deals with people . You can see execptions for IT guys but for other domain its must to have...

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
I can tell you that if you can survive an interview process for a developers position (which I'm assuming you mean with IT) then you will be fine. The interviews are oral exams and problem solving on the fly, and normally 2 hrs, for the first interview.

It's not an easy process. My husband is an applications architect, is involved in the interview process and weeds out people all the time for a major news source in the US, I hear the stories. Get some personal open source projects going that your excited about and can talk in great depth about, and you might just stand a chance.

Good luck!

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
saria1 said:
I can tell you that if you can survive an interview process for a developers position (which I'm assuming you mean with IT) then you will be fine. The interviews are oral exams and problem solving on the fly, and normally 2 hrs, for the first interview.

It's not an easy process. My husband is an applications architect, is involved in the interview process and weeds out people all the time for a major news source in the US, I hear the stories. Get some personal open source projects going that your excited about and can talk in great depth about, and you might just stand a chance.

Good luck!
Respected Saria,

Thanks for infusing new life and energy in me!

I have cracked the IT interview here in India by my own. Will carry the projects competed by me and make sure to understand them by heart as per your instructions. Will definitely get a JOB with my hard work and skill set.

Thanks Again!

iamelle

Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 20, 2014
AOR Received.
March 18, 2014
IELTS Request
CELPIP - Sent with application
Med's Request
Sept 9, 2014
Med's Done....
Sept 19, 2014
Passport Req..
January 21, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2015
LANDED..........
March 28, 2015
I am not from India but I am an IT professional. Yes, they count the experience that I had outside Canada. The interview process is a bit extensive though as you really have to prove that whatever it is that is written in your CV is true and that you know your stuff.

dhanu 786

May 28, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014[CC Charged]
Nomination.....
07-08-2014 [PER MAIL]
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
07-05-2014
File Transfer...
02-09-2014
Med's Request
04-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-01-2015
iamelle said:
I am not from India but I am an IT professional. Yes, they count the experience that I had outside Canada. The interview process is a bit extensive though as you really have to prove that whatever it is that is written in your CV is true and that you know your stuff.
Thanks iamelle 8) 8)

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
iamelle said:
As I said, you got lucky. In fact I am lucky as well as my current employer took into account my non-Canadian experience in a 1-1 ratio....

But that is not the general rule. I have seen even companies getting into trouble because they hire a very experienced guy in a junior role... then when PR comes, job responsibilities-wage-experience seem "odd". In my first job my recruiter told me "yeah I can see you have experience but I can't offer you a senior role because it is not Canadian experience".

brainmoore

Oct 25, 2014
Exceptions are always there with every job, industry, countries etc... But what important is how much we know ourselves and our job..Experience comes next.. So important is too work hard to improve our skills, renew them with time...Opportunities will surely come our way. I am great fan of IT industry.

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
iamelle said:
Thanks for the valuable advice.

Respect!!!

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
brainmoore said:
Exceptions are always there with every job, industry, countries etc... But what important is how much we know ourselves and our job..Experience comes next.. So important is too work hard to improve our skills, renew them with time...Opportunities will surely come our way. I am great fan of IT industry.
Well said bro.. Perfect plan to succeed in any industry.......