Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17 th
I have a distance learning diploma from an american school which states in the official transcript: "The above program has been rated by penn foster faculty ans staff as the equivalent of 66.2 continuing education units (CEUs). One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction and qualified instruction."

This school is accredited from DETC and licensed by the Pennsylvania state board of private licensed schools.

so i calculated that this could be the equivalent of 1 year full time studies 66.2 x10= 662
662 hrs/9 months(academic year)= 73.5
73.5hrs/4 (weeks)= 18+

so would this be acceptable considering full time studies means 15 + hours per week?

note: i am not principal applicant my husband is and even without my education our score is 67. My question is if my calculations is correct can we get extra points?

missioncanada

Star Member
Aug 28, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the op6 manual they described that distance education is acceptable if from recognised university.

adam912

Star Member
Oct 11, 2009
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17 th
Yes missioncanada the school is recognized and accredited in the USA. :) thank you

can someone plz confirm my calculations then? and should i send a letter explaining my calculations along with the transcript?

adam912

Star Member
Oct 11, 2009
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17 th
adam912 said:
I have a distance learning diploma from an american school which states in the official transcript: "The above program has been rated by penn foster faculty and staff as the equivalent of 66.2 continuing education units (CEUs). One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction and qualified instruction."
So The above mentioned would not be enough? Thats what it says on the official transcript, i will ask for another transcript in a sealed envelop and hope that this would be enough cause i don't think they would do that, but i'll ask anyways, thanks for your help

windtunnel

Sep 10, 2009
Yes you should get a letter from the uni because OP6 also says the following about 'distance education'.

"There is a high incidence of fraud in this area. Verification checks should be conducted with
issuing institutions to ensure that program integrity standards are respected."

adam912

Star Member
Oct 11, 2009
Egypt
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo Egypt
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17 th
Thanks again, already contacted school and waiting for their reply. I also wanted to add that i double checked on the DETC website and yes they are recognized and accredited and my school Penn Foster is also affiliated with ISC Canada career school, which is accredited by the Canadian Education and Training Accreditation Commission (CETAC). ICS Canada is also a member of the National Association of Career Colleges (NACC).

Sara Herb

Jul 13, 2020
I have a distance learning diploma from an american school which states in the official transcript: "The above program has been rated by penn foster faculty ans staff as the equivalent of 66.2 continuing education units (CEUs). One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction and qualified instruction."

This school is accredited from DETC and licensed by the Pennsylvania state board of private licensed schools.

so i calculated that this could be the equivalent of 1 year full time studies 66.2 x10= 662
662 hrs/9 months(academic year)= 73.5
73.5hrs/4 (weeks)= 18+

so would this be acceptable considering full time studies means 15 + hours per week?

note: i am not principal applicant my husband is and even without my education our score is 67. My question is if my calculations is correct can we get extra points?
Hi I am also in process of applying for permanent residence, and was also wondering if Penn Foster was accredited in Canada. I know this was years ago that you applied, but was wondering if they validated on your aplication