+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Disappointed with the IELTS result 28th Oct 2017 - Need advice

abbasi123

Sep 4, 2017
Hi all,
I gave Academic IELTS with IDP in 2011 and my score was LRWS 6.5 6 7 7 as I was planning to go to Canada on student visa. I am now planning to apply for Immigration so I gave my first attempt for General Training on 28th October with British Council and my score was LRWS 7 7 6.5 6.

I made some mistakes in listening and reading and I already knew that I won't reach to CLB9, however, I am literally shocked to see my results for writing and speaking. Speaking went so good that I was expecting around 8 band and writing was not bad at all. Although I understand that going for a re-evaluation for writing and speaking will not help me to go up to CLB9, but I feel very disappointed and demotivated because of these results. Is it worth to go for the re-evaluation?

Secondly, I have read alot of blogs specifying that there is no difference in IDP and BC but given the above results, do you think that IDP and BC have different criteria to assess speaking and writing results?

Before the exam, I practiced the following material:
1. 4 Cambridge books from 9 to 12
2. Actual listening test. volume 2 and volume 3
3. Actual writing test 30 topics (Only brainstorming)
I was planning to go for BC 2nd November but now I am really confused because writing and speaking was never a problem for me atleast to get CLB9.

Last edited:

Armour

Oct 28, 2017
Similar situation here. This was my 3rd attempt. In my first attempt I got W7.5, S8 whereas in second attempt my score was W7.5, S7.5. Second attempt was 5 months ago. I am shocked to see my result for Oct 28th exam, which is L8.5, R7, W6.5, S6.5. I was expecting at least 7 in both speaking and writing based on my performance in the exam and previous scores.
In my earlier attempts, I failed to achieve an 8 in Listening which was the main reason for me to reappear this time. I am planning to apply for re-marks for my satisfaction as these results have really demotivated me. Meanwhile, I've already registered myself for 2nd Dec as well.

abbasi123

Sep 4, 2017
Similar situation here. This was my 3rd attempt. In my first attempt I got W7.5, S8 whereas in second attempt my score was W7.5, S7.5. Second attempt was 5 months ago. I am shocked to see my result for Oct 28th exam, which is L8.5, R7, W6.5, S6.5. I was expecting at least 7 in both speaking and writing based on my performance in the exam and previous scores.
In my earlier attempts, I failed to achieve an 8 in Listening which was the main reason for me to reappear this time. I am planning to apply for re-marks for my satisfaction as these results have really demotivated me. Meanwhile, I've already registered myself for 2nd Dec as well.
Sad to know.. have you registered with BC or IDP? and where did you take your exam earlier?

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
I missed in listening by 0.5 on Oct 28 test LRWS (7.5,8.5,7.5,7.5). Your experience sounds scary. I am also taking the test on Dec 2 and am hoping to improve on listening while retaining the scores in other modules.

dante666

Aug 2, 2017
I got L 8 R 8 W 6 S 6.5 on the same day as you. I'm planning to retake the test on 16 December, I couldn't imagine I would get 6 in writing. 7 years ago, I already got 6 in writing when my English was pretty bad (most of the time I had to use google translate, and find it hard to write a long sentence). I thought general writing is quite easier when we just need to write a letter in task 1, so I still have no idea why I can't even get 6.5

Mullaimano

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
I missed in listening by 0.5 on Oct 28 test LRWS (7.5,8.5,7.5,7.5). Your experience sounds scary. I am also taking the test on Dec 2 and am hoping to improve on listening while retaining the scores in other modules.
Hi
Even i missed by 0.5 in listening. Did you reappear on dec2nd. Whats the new score??

sajeri

Jan 21, 2018
A bit late but maybe this helps someone here:
I was super nervous when I had to write the IELTS. I've heard so many stories about English native speakers who failed good results. I was wondering why and started to do some research about the most common mistakes.

Read the instructions carefully. If they want to have one word as answer or a number, never put both to show how good your English is. And never look only for signal words They know about and try to trick you. 8 pts

Also the writing part can be tricky. My story was so boring (would have been the same in my native language) and sheets looked like sh*** . But I couldn't be bothered to waste my time on neat writing and erasing all mistakes. I'd rather spend my time on replacing/adding words and correcting mistakes. 7.5 pts

Listening part was ok, but the topings boring and I lost plot at some point. If you panic in that case, you will fail badly because you can't catch up. I left it blank. When it was time to check the answer sheet, I had to guess. It was something about kids, gardening and later on about jewellery. I picked the answer that appeared most logical to me. 8.5 pts

During the speaking part the questions where kinda odd. One question I remember was if the activities while on vacation with my parents were different from when I was a child in comparison to when I was a teenager. Instead of thinking about what I did 20 years or more ago and losing time, I just said "yes". Now the lady was a bit irritated and asked for the reason like expected. I replied "Well, if you are a teenager, going on vacation with your parents is somehow pretty uncool. I preferred hanging out with friends".
I used informal language, corrected myself and just kept on making up stories when I had nothing to say. That's all part of spoken English and got me 8.5 pts

Reactions: abbasi123