Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI guys,

I am in this situation:

- Passport requested on July 16th

- Passport sent out July 18th

I checked status today and finally it has been changed to "decision made"

But passport has been sent out with IOM about 3 and a half weeks ago, we have not received it back.

Any idea about this situation?

Thanks,

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
I am not familiar with your visa office but here are a couple thoughts...

-in our visa office they will often request the passport early, to do background checks, and then once the visa is actually issued, it will change to decision made (do you have an idea of when the E-cas status actually changed?)
-in most cases, once the file is completely done (everything complete & approved), it takes approximately two weeks to receive the passport back, once it has been requested.

From what you are saying, it's highly likely that the passport was requested, and the file was not yet complete - the E-cas changed when they were done, the visa has been issued in the passpart [that is usually when E-cas changes] and will be coming back to you soon...which begs the question, how are you supposed to retrieve it? [Do you have to make arrangements with a courier service or can you (your wife) go in person to pick it up.

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rasha said:
I am not familiar with your visa office but here are a couple thoughts...

-in our visa office they will often request the passport early, to do background checks, and then once the visa is actually issued, it will change to decision made (do you have an idea of when the E-cas status actually changed?)
-in most cases, once the file is completely done (everything complete & approved), it takes approximately two weeks to receive the passport back, once it has been requested.

From what you are saying, it's highly likely that the passport was requested, and the file was not yet complete - the E-cas changed when they were done, the visa has been issued in the passpart [that is usually when E-cas changes] and will be coming back to you soon...which begs the question, how are you supposed to retrieve it? [Do you have to make arrangements with a courier service or can you (your wife) go in person to pick it up.
We deal with IOM for sending out passport. IOM will send the passport and get it back then call us to pick it up.
For my case, the letter that we received confirmed that visa is ready to be issued and that my wife has been aprroved (by that time there was nothing on Ecas...still in process)

Yesterday I checked ecas and the status changed to "decision made" with a few other notes such as :the office will contact....etc.

You were saying "2 weeks", does this count delivery time?

We are hoping to get the passport back this week or the beginning of next week. We are in a hurry since I booked the ticket and everything for Sept and the booking office need a copy of our visa in order to get us a good deal. "it's only $600 to fly from Vietnam to Vancouver"..

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
usually the two weeks is the time it takes for you to get the passport to them [usually one day] ....the time for them to process...and then the time for you to get it back [usually one-two days as well].

Time is obviously of the essence for you. If you don't hear anything by the end of this week, I would use whatever means can get information quickly for you [MP or case specific inquiry, if they will respond to you quickly]. HOWEVER, it's very likely you will be hearing from IOM as the status change is usually done after the visa has been affixed to the passport [CIC-M told me that this past Monday, when I was inquiring on my husband's file]. Good luck.

zeek

Apr 27, 2008
we got decision made on july 27th threw e-cas like you have now. we sent passport in on july 16th threw the IOM in cambodia and on monday august 10th in cambodia or sunday night here canada the IOM called my wife to tell her that her passport and visa is ready for pick up.
it took 2 weeks from the day that e-cas was updated. im sure your passport is in the mail now.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hey nguyentu2001 , as far as I know, when the e-cas update to desicion made after the passport request letter, that means they have stamped your visa on the passport, so you are suppose to receive an email or phone calls telling you that your passport is ready to be picked up, it is matter of days.
Rasha, how did your husband sent the passport, in person or by mail, in person it is faster, he can get it back in few days, because , like boujasim told me, when you pick up your passport in person, they make you read all the info on the passport and on the COPR to make sure the info are right and there is no wrong typing, but when you send it by mail, it is their duty to re-check the info on it

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for sharing your opinions, guys!
Yes, I am certainly hoping the passport will arrive this week.

Regarding my case, I believe CIC updated Ecas when stamping visa on the passport. It surely takes long since it has been lmost 4 weeks already.

IOM in Hanoi never asked us to pay extra 30 dollars so that passport would be sent by courier from Singapore to Vietnam. It is probably the reason why it takes so long to get there and to come back. I just don't feel comfortable dealing with IOM, an intermediary.

Anyway, I am hoping for best! And of course good luck to everyone in this forum for your application.

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
rorita_76 said:
Hey nguyentu2001 , as far as I know, when the e-cas update to desicion made after the passport request letter, that means they have stamped your visa on the passport, so you are suppose to receive an email or phone calls telling you that your passport is ready to be picked up, it is matter of days.
Rasha, how did your husband sent the passport, in person or by mail, in person it is faster, he can get it back in few days, because , like boujasim told me, when you pick up your passport in person, they make you read all the info on the passport and on the COPR to make sure the info are right and there is no wrong typing, but when you send it by mail, it is their duty to re-check the info on it
It's different in Egypt - they didnt' give him the option to drop it off, and said he could only send it by courier [dhl].

nguyentu2001

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi guys,

My wife got her passport with visa affixed yesterday.
Finally after almost 7 months, were are officially done!

Gluck to all those have been waiting.

Cheers,

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Congratulations Nguyen!!!! Have a safe trip and welcome to Canada :0).
Rasha nchalla you are next :0).
Rorita are you studying for your written exam? :0).