+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decent Loan Sanction Letter Format (FD and Non FD)

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Most people get stuck when it comes to Education Loan especially under SPP, so just thought about putting my experience and knowledge for aspiring students to not to make any mistakes and thereby facing rejections.

For SPP Students the 80% of first years tuition fees plus living expenses has to be shown on Loan. Loan Sanction letter is a very crucial piece of paper as not only is it the strongest evidence of financial ability but also it saves CHC/Embassy to go through the hassles of checking financial capability of a student to study abroad thus making the VISA process faster.

First of all, it should be clear with the person/bank offering loan that what it is given for. Most of the banks refrain from offering education loan for Diploma/Certificate course and that is what most of us are applying and aiming for. This problem usually occurs when a person is willing to take an Education loan. Even if a person finds a Bank who is read to offer Education loan for our desired course, its a headache to get all the paperwork done and loan approved from them. So the last option that most of us tend to look at as our savior is Loan against FD.

Many banks do offer loan against FD for higher education abroad viz UCO, State Bank of India, State Bank of Patiala (provides loan under Gyan Jyoti Scheme), etc to name a few. I myself acquired loan from SBI. But there are certain things to take care of while going for Loan against FD or even when its a plain education loan. Its not something big but the usual stuff but sometimes Bank tend to forget to include it which may tend to create a problem for us.

Following are the few points that I think a Loan Sanction Letter must contain:

1. First and the most important thing I would like to say is it should be on Banks letterhead and should have Bank name, Branch Name, Branch address and contact number clearly mentioned. (Often Banks also include their Branch number which is not necessary for us to have)

Also the date on which loan was sanctioned should be included.

2. Name and address of the 1st and 2nd applicant (It is advised to have either of your parent as 2nd applicant when the person going for higher education is not earning).

3. Subject (this is not mandatory but it makes the Loan Sanction Letter look more formal). This can contain information like "Loan For Higher Education in Canada" (Also it should clearly mention either in the subject or the body that loan has been sanctioned.)

The following points can then be included in the body:

a) Name of the facility: Here its Loan against FD/FDR/Banks own Deposit

b) Loan Amount: The loan amount and not the FD amount

c) Loan Account number: Now this point is very important, I myself didn't have this in my Loan Letter but mind you FD number and Loan Account number are the two official ways of finding out about your Loan. So this part should not be neglected. Thanks to "Happy Garcha" I got it included in my Loan letter.

Now if there are multiple FD account numbers, its highly recommended to include the Loan Account Number. Even otherwise I would call it mandatory.

Often this Loan Account Number is also mentioned as the reference number or serial number (do check this out).

d) Margin: If your loan is against FD, the Margin that bank holds while giving you the Loan would be mentioned here. Eg. Loan of Rs. 9 lacs against FD of Rs. 10 lacs (so the margin here is 10%).

e) Purpose of Loan: This is again another crucial part, here one should include its purpose of the loan, name of the institution one intends to attend, address of the institution (just the city, state and country is enough) and name of the applicants. Also don't forget to include name of the course and its duration.

If the Bank doesn't agree for writing "certificate course/diploma course" its okay, you can make them mention name of the program and add "program" suffix to it. (Like "Marketing Management Program")

f) Security/Collateral Security: This part would include either name, number and amount of FDs or other security dealt with to get the loan. Even this part is very very important.

g) Loan Repayment terms and conditions (if any should be mentioned)

h) Interest rate/rate of interest should also be clearly mentioned.

i) and lastly the letter should include Stamp of the particular Branch and Seal of the Branch Manager along with his/her signature in its footer.

Another 2 cents:

• Always be prepared with the source of funds that were converted into FD.(By this point I do not intend to scare anyone who is willing to go for Loan against FD but in rare case, yes very very very rare case, if they do invite you to appear for an interview to ask the source of funds, you are prepared with it. So far I have not seen any single case like this.)

• My advice would be to show about 95% (not 80%) of first years fees + living expenses (this excludes payment of the fees of first term).
  • Also do make them include its an Education Loan if possible. Its not mandatory, but I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.

Disclaimer: I have tried to include all the points that I could possibly think of for a loan but if I do miss any point, feel free to mark out my mistakes and I shall change it. This was the format my Loan Letter which was very clear and decent looking letter.

Also I have used the word "one should include/one should mention" etc, by which I don't mean one should print a loan letter at his/her place, its just that when you are applying for the loan or if the branch manager/loan officer asks for suggestions or even if they don't you should ask them to include all of the following details. I heard from my consultant that "Allahbad bank" is reputed for not giving a proper loan letter, I don't know to what extent this is true but if someone has a similar problem one should ask them to include the above mentioned details, atleast the mandatory parts should be included. All the data included here is my personal opinion and it does not come from any official source.

-royalsting

Reactions: yash_kumar

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
Thanks royalsting - nice effort to share all the crucial points. +1 for you

In btwn, is there a problem in cancelling the FD after the visa is approved as I think its better to keep the money in your savings account than pay an interest to the bank for using your own money .

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
canadahelp7 said:
Thanks royalsting - nice effort to share all the crucial points. +1 for you

In btwn, is there a problem in cancelling the FD after the visa is approved as I think its better to keep the money in your savings account than pay an interest to the bank for using your own money .
One can always cancel the loan and dissolve the FD anytime (for SBI minimum time for keeping the FD is 15 days I think). The only reason I am emphasizing on the loan is because its the strongest paper which eases workload off embassy as embassy prefers it anyday over other financial proof. So if someone is financially sound and doesn't want to go for an actual loan OR if bank denies regular higher education loan due to a Diploma/Certificate course, loan against FD is the last resort.

PS. No there shouldn't be any problem in cancelling the FD once VISA is issued as one has already proven his financial ability and received the VISA based on that. But I would advice to keep it intact till the applicant reaches his destination.

Lovely_16

Jun 28, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
Most people get stuck when it comes to Education Loan especially under SPP, so just thought about putting my experience and knowledge for aspiring students to not to make any mistakes and thereby facing rejections.

For SPP Students the 80% of first years tuition fees plus living expenses has to be shown on Loan. Loan Sanction letter is a very crucial piece of paper as not only is it the strongest evidence of financial ability but also it saves CHC/Embassy to go through the hassles of checking financial capability of a student to study abroad thus making the VISA process faster.

First of all, it should be clear with the person/bank offering loan that what it is given for. Most of the banks refrain from offering education loan for Diploma/Certificate course and that is what most of us are applying and aiming for. This problem usually occurs when a person is willing to take an Education loan. Even if a person finds a Bank who is read to offer Education loan for our desired course, its a headache to get all the paperwork done and loan approved from them. So the last option that most of us tend to look at as our savior is Loan against FD.

Many banks do offer loan against FD for higher education abroad viz UCO, State Bank of India, State Bank of Patiala (provides loan under Gyan Jyoti Scheme), etc to name a few. I myself acquired loan from SBI. But there are certain things to take care of while going for Loan against FD or even when its a plain education loan. Its not something big but the usual stuff but sometimes Bank tend to forget to include it which may tend to create a problem for us.

1. First and the most important thing I would like to say is it should be on Banks letterhead and should have Bank name, Branch Name, Branch address and contact number clearly mentioned. (Often Banks also include their Branch number which is not necessary for us to have)

2. Name and address of the 1st and 2nd applicant (It is advised to have either of your parent as 2nd applicant when the person going for higher education is not earning).

3. Subject (this is not mandatory but it makes the Loan Sanction Letter look more formal). This can contain information like "Loan For Higher Education in Canada" (Also it should clearly mention either in the subject or the body that loan has been sanctioned.)

c) Loan Account number: Now this point is very important, I myself didn't have this in my Loan Letter but mind you FD number and Loan Account number are the two official ways of finding out about your Loan. So this part should not be neglected. Thanks to "Happy Garcha" I got it included in my Loan letter.

Now if there are multiple FD account numbers, its highly recommended to include the Loan Account Number. Even otherwise I would call it mandatory.

Often this Loan Account Number is also mentioned as the reference number or serial number (do check this out).

d) Margin: If your loan is against FD, the Margin that bank holds while giving you the Loan would be mentioned here. Eg. Loan of Rs. 9 lacs against FD of Rs. 10 lacs (so the margin here is 10%).

e) Purpose of Loan: This is again another crucial part, here one should include its purpose of the loan, name of the institution one intends to attend, address of the institution (just the city, state and country is enough) and name of the applicants. Also don't forget to include name of the course and its duration.

If the Bank doesn't agree for writing "certificate course/diploma course" its okay, you can make them mention name of the program and add "program" suffix to it. (Like "Marketing Management Program")

f) Security/Collateral Security: This part would include either name, number and amount of FDs or other security dealt with to get the loan. Even this part is very very important.

i) and lastly the letter should include Stamp of the particular Branch and Seal of the Branch Manager along with his/her signature in its footer.

Another 2 cents:

• Always be prepared with the source of funds that were converted into FD.(By this point I do not intend to scare anyone who is willing to go for Loan against FD but in rare case, yes very very very rare case, if they do invite you to appear for an interview to ask the source of funds, you are prepared with it. So far I have not seen any single case like this.)

• My advice would be to show about 95% (not 80%) of first years fees + living expenses (this excludes payment of the fees of first term).
  • Also do make them include its an Education Loan if possible. Its not mandatory, but I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it.

Disclaimer: I have tried to include all the points that I could possibly think of for a loan but if I do miss any point, feel free to mark out my mistakes and I shall change it. This was the format my Loan Letter which was very clear and decent looking letter.

Also I have used the word "one should include/one should mention" etc, by which I don't mean one should print a loan letter at his/her place, its just that when you are applying for the loan or if the branch manager/loan officer asks for suggestions or even if they don't you should ask them to include all of the following details. I heard from my consultant that "Allahbad bank" is reputed for not giving a proper loan letter, I don't know to what extent this is true but if someone has a similar problem one should ask them to include the above mentioned details, atleast the mandatory parts should be included. All the data included here is my personal opinion and it does not come from any official source.

-royalsting

+10 for royalstring. Thanks bro for such useful info. It will be beneficial to everyone who are seeking for loan including me. You have answered almost all my queries regarding loan.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Lovely_16 said:
+10 for royalstring. Thanks bro for such useful info. It will be beneficial to everyone who are seeking for loan including me. You have answered almost all my queries regarding loan.
I am glad I could help. Actually once I was in the same situation, LOAN was only a question and I couldn't find a proper answer. Thanks to happygarcha and this community for proper help and guidance then. So I decided to write all my questions and answers together in one place and create this thread.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
royalsting said:
One can always cancel the loan and dissolve the FD anytime (for SBI minimum time for keeping the FD is 15 days I think). The only reason I am emphasizing on the loan is because its the strongest paper which eases workload off embassy as embassy prefers it anyday over other financial proof. So if someone is financially sound and doesn't want to go for an actual loan OR if bank denies regular higher education loan due to a Diploma/Certificate course, loan against FD is the last resort.

PS. No there shouldn't be any problem in cancelling the FD once VISA is issued as one has already proven his financial ability and received the VISA based on that. But I would advice to keep it intact till the applicant reaches his destination.
Ahhh the reason I asked is the manager at Andhra bank is giving me some lame reasons that I should keep the FD active for a minimum of 6 months as CIC can verify with them . I told him that the embassy will verify only at the time of deciding the application so once approved , no further checks are done. But he kept beating around the bush - saying there is a clause to keep the FD active , blah blah blah .... would you know who I can turn to if this guy is going to keep this stand when I try to cancel the FD ?

Thanks again royalsting !

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
canadahelp7 said:
Ahhh the reason I asked is the manager at Andhra bank is giving me some lame reasons that I should keep the FD active for a minimum of 6 months as CIC can verify with them . I told him that the embassy will verify only at the time of deciding the application so once approved , no further checks are done. But he kept beating around the bush - saying there is a clause to keep the FD active , blah blah blah .... would you know who I can turn to if this guy is going to keep this stand when I try to cancel the FD ?

Thanks again royalsting !
Hey,

Every bank has their own policies when it comes to cancellation, I was actually talking about SBI as most of the people prefer SBI. But you can always ask for documents that has/shows/proves such a clause. Try SBI, they do not have any such policy.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:

Another 2 cents:

-royalsting

Hi,

Very informative post. I will use your post as a reference.

+1 for you.

Rupak14

Sep 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/11/2011
Med's Request
Med's Done
Med's Done....
14/07/2011
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Never
royalsting said:

Another 2 cents:

-royalsting
Great post! +1 for you bro

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
royalsting said:
Hey,

Every bank has their own policies when it comes to cancellation, I was actually talking about SBI as most of the people prefer SBI. But you can always ask for documents that has/shows/proves such a clause. Try SBI, they do not have any such policy.
I wish this post was read before I progressed with the FD - now its too late to change etc as I am running out of time.
Good suggestion to ask them if such a clause exists in writing . Thanks again !

ashuabbi

Nov 16, 2011
Hi Royal..

I am applying for a bank loan against FD. Total funds required to show is around CAD $ 28,500 (1st year tuition fees-CAD $17,100 + CAD$ 10,000 as living expenses and CAD$ 1,000 as travelling expenses). I have already paid my 1st semester fees CAD$ 8,555 from my father's savings. Kindly let me know for how much amount of loan should i go? as per SPP , it should be 80 % of the CAD$ 28,500.

Jyoti Dhillon

Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/11/11
IELTS Request
6 bands
Med's Done....
7/11/11
Interview........
weived
VISA ISSUED...
waiting for that.. baba g visavde do ....
ashuabbi said:
Hi Royal..

I am applying for a bank loan against FD. Total funds required to show is around CAD $ 28,500 (1st year tuition fees-CAD $17,100 + CAD$ 10,000 as living expenses and CAD$ 1,000 as travelling expenses). I have already paid my 1st semester fees CAD$ 8,555 from my father's savings. Kindly let me know for how much amount of loan should i go? as per SPP , it should be 80 % of the CAD$ 28,500.
Just minus your 1st semester fees from the total amount u need 9.50 lacs of loan try to get 10lacs

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
ashuabbi said:
Hi Royal..

Educational Loan from an Indian Chartered Bank equivalent to at
least 80% of tuition +living + travel expenses for one academic year (normally,
first year's tuition, unless already paid, plus $8000).

Hey,

80% of first years tution fees = around CAD $14,000 + living which should be around 8k as suggested by the checklist but due to inflation and volatile currency market $10k as you suggested + traveling expenses $1000

14,000 (rounded off)
- 8,555 (first semesters fee)
+10,000 (living expenses)
+ 1,000 (traveling expenses)
________
16,500 (rounded off)
x 51 (approximate current CAD to INR conversion rate on higher side)

So take a loan of around Rs. 8.5-9 lacs but I would suggest loan of Rs. 10 lacs to be on a safer side.

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
+1 to you royalsting...great information.

and thank you for the same.

royalsting said:
Educational Loan from an Indian Chartered Bank equivalent to at
least 80% of tuition +living + travel expenses for one academic year (normally,
first year's tuition, unless already paid, plus $8000).

Hey,

80% of first years tution fees = around CAD $14,000 + living which should be around 8k as suggested by the checklist but due to inflation and volatile currency market $10k as you suggested + traveling expenses $1000

14,000 (rounded off)
- 8,555 (first semesters fee)
+10,000 (living expenses)
+ 1,000 (traveling expenses)
________
16,500 (rounded off)
x 51 (approximate current CAD to INR conversion rate on higher side)

So take a loan of around Rs. 8.5-9 lacs but I would suggest loan of Rs. 10 lacs to be on a safer side.