+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dear ImmOfficer

SadGirl:(

Jul 20, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seeing that your a "real" IO, then can you tell me on average how long do background checks take?

If the interviewer approves the application and okays it for a Visa and sends the application back for a "routine background" check, then how long is that supposed to take?

Also, will E-CAS be updated when they issue the letter to send in the passport?

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
SadGirl,
My husband had his decision & passport request sent to him by email, 2 working days later ECAS was updated to say 'Decision Made'. We've still not received the hard copy letter in the post but I suspect within the next few days. We have also gone through the London office.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You all know that there is a difference between an IO and a VO? VOs are Visa Officers who work in embassies around the world. IOs are Immigration Officers who work in Canada for CIC and CBSA. ImmOfficer works IN Canada as he stated in a previous post.

There is no set time frame for security checks. They take as long as they take and the kicker is that CIC and the courts can't do anything about it as CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligence Service) has the power to do whatever they deem necessary in the matter of security checks. There are so many factors to consider when you think about the length of these things. For example:

Lived in more than one country for a period of 6 months or more since the age of 18
Military, police or government service
Name or family members name on an international Watch List (or name very similar)
Whether the foreign governments will respond to requests from CSIS and how fast they respond

Your best bet to judge how long a background check is going to take a look at how long it is taking for others dealing with your embassy and use that as a gauge.

I

ImmOfficer

Rjessome is bang on.

I will add that it also depends on what countries you have been living in. Some cooperate more than others.

rich_m0nd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2009
Immofficer,

nice to know that you are willing to help others in this forum and advice. we'll be more than confident and knowledgable with your help and the rest of the others in here that help each other and just give support to others. thanks.

Jul 4, 2009
just a further question on this topic for any of you who may have an answer ...

my husband lived in S. Korea for almost a decade prior to returning to his country........i know that there is a Korean embassy near the local consulate where our application is being processed, any idea how many months it may potentially take for the background check for our situation??

(he only lived in one country besides his own)

thanks and any insight would be appreciated :)

optimistic2009