+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Canada - USA) Citizenship Path

prudhvi

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

This is Prudhvi, coming back to the Canada visa forum after 2 years. I created the daily commute thread and was surprised to see the tremendous response for that thread. Glad it's helpful for the people who wanted to work in USA and stay in Canada.
I am creating this thread for the people who are going to apply for Canadian citizenship from the daily commute group.

I know there will be little scrutiny for the people like us on the road to citizenship path (also chances of queries and delaying application if we miss a document) and I need suggestions from each and every one of you regarding citizenship application.

I am planning to apply for citizenship this December. I realized that few times the Canadian border officers are not scanning our PR card, and entry is not logged in our travel history. How to justify this when we are applying for Canadian citizenship?

At the time of applying for Citizenship we need to mention the In and Out dates, do we need to log each and every day or do we need to log only the days left Canada for more than two? (need suggestions from the people who already applied for Citizenship)

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
I am in the same path but we need to wait 3 more months to finish our 1095 days, I think March 15th I am planning to drop my application packet to CIC, and regarding the daily commute chart, yeah you have to mention each and every day you go out of Canada even for 1 sec, my friend and his wife recently applied for their citizenship where there both work in States, and after 4 months they now got file numbers, and may be another 4-5 months for approval and date for the test, Even though border officer wont scan your card they automatically scan your card from certain distance I seen this lot of times, but even some times you are correct you will miss few days, that is why maintain excel sheet or it takes at least 1 month to prepare month by month ( which happened to my friend and his wife I mentioned above ) just to prepare the days calculation. anyways I hope you applied by this time as it is already mid of December please update me the things with me, because I am just few months away from you

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
More info
Hi guys,

This is Prudhvi, coming back to the Canada visa forum after 2 years. I created the daily commute thread and was surprised to see the tremendous response for that thread. Glad it's helpful for the people who wanted to work in USA and stay in Canada.
I am creating this thread for the people who are going to apply for Canadian citizenship from the daily commute group.

I know there will be little scrutiny for the people like us on the road to citizenship path (also chances of queries and delaying application if we miss a document) and I need suggestions from each and every one of you regarding citizenship application.

I am planning to apply for citizenship this December. I realized that few times the Canadian border officers are not scanning our PR card, and entry is not logged in our travel history. How to justify this when we are applying for Canadian citizenship?

At the time of applying for Citizenship we need to mention the In and Out dates, do we need to log each and every day or do we need to log only the days left Canada for more than two? (need suggestions from the people who already applied for Citizenship)
What to record
  • The date you left and the date you came back to Canada, even if it’s the same day
  • Countries you visited
  • Why you left – give examples like vacation, work, family, etc.
  • Include any day trips (less than 24 hours), including to the United States
  • When the journal is full, keep it safe and print a new copy
Example of how to fill out the travel journal

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi Guys,

I saw you guys in Windsor-Detroit group as well. I also just became PR earlier this year and moved to Windsor and still working in Detroit.
I am hoping both of you guys (prudhvi and dr kbknaidu) have applied for citizenship by now.
Can you guys provide some info on whether there was any specific concern from CIC on working in the states?
Please let me know.
Thanks

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Any success for citizenship application guys?
Yes!
Daily commuter Windsor-Detroit and applied for citizenship Sept 2021. Application approved and took oath Nov 2022.
I had to have an interview though so they could verify the reason for the multiple border crossings. It was just a simple check o validate.
Oh and I had moved to the US as they were processing the citizenship application; no issues.

Reactions: scylla

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Yes!
Daily commuter Windsor-Detroit and applied for citizenship Sept 2021. Application approved and took oath Nov 2022.
I had to have an interview though so they could verify the reason for the multiple border crossings. It was just a simple check o validate.
Oh and I had moved to the US as they were processing the citizenship application; no issues.
Thanks for the reply. And many congrats on your citizenship approval! Do you happen to have the law clause which allows people to live in Canada at night and work in USA in the day time and those days all count ?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Thanks for the reply. And many congrats on your citizenship approval! Do you happen to have the law clause which allows people to live in Canada at night and work in USA in the day time and those days all count ?
No, I don't have the clause but you can search through the forums, I belive I've seen a discussion on that. There isn't a law or clause that allows you to live in Canada at night and US in the day. However, any amount of time, even 1 hr that you spend in Canada counts as 1 day. The important thing is to establish your residency in Canada so there won't be any doubt that you lived in Canada.

Reactions: swan0206 and NeoJ

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hi Guys,

I saw you guys in Windsor-Detroit group as well. I also just became PR earlier this year and moved to Windsor and still working in Detroit.
I am hoping both of you guys (prudhvi and dr kbknaidu) have applied for citizenship by now.
Can you guys provide some info on whether there was any specific concern from CIC on working in the states?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Hello,
I am planning to move to Windsor(PR) from Detroit and commute daily on H1B. Can you suggest to me some good areas to live in Windsor for daily commuting and some apartment information? It is very less information on Apartment.com websites and most of them are privately owned basement rent-outs but not many lease apartment options I can find.
So any help will be appreciated!

zoh7009

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hello,
I am planning to move to Windsor(PR) from Detroit and commute daily on H1B. Can you suggest to me some good areas to live in Windsor for daily commuting and some apartment information? It is very less information on Apartment.com websites and most of them are privately owned basement rent-outs but not many lease apartment options I can find.
So any help will be appreciated!
Adding VOBuckeye and
NeoJ for your feedback too

thank you