+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently in Canada (SOWP), wanting to apply for Work Holiday Visa - Initial questions

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hi guys,

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Background:
I am currently in Canada (waiting for my SOWP that has been delayed due to no biometrics) and my husband's temporary work permit is ending early 2021 and cannot be extended due to the nature of the permit.
We are currently also in the pool for Express Entry (FSW class with me as the main applicant), however, our score is in mid 460s, which based on recent draws looks slightly unlikely to be successful this year.

Thinking and questions:
Based on the criteria for Canadian work holiday visa (Slovenian citizen, 32 years old), I would be eligible for a working holiday visa. This way we could, if approved, remain in Canada for another 12 months (or maybe even 24, as based on my citizenship, I get two participations at WHV, although I'm unsure of the criteria for that). It would also enable me to get 1 year (or more) work experience in Canada (which was the original plan with my SOWP, but that can no longer happen as I only have just over 6 months left if the biometrics opened today and my SOWP was issued). With that 1 (or more) year of Canadian work experience, I could improve my CRS score and perhaps give it another go and enter EE after I have my Canadian experience.

Can anyone give me any advice if this is possible?
Can I have an open EE pool application and apply for WHV?
I'm not sure what kind of documents you need for WHV, but if any are the same as for EE FSW pool, can I re-use any of my papers?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Background:
I am currently in Canada (waiting for my SOWP that has been delayed due to no biometrics) and my husband's temporary work permit is ending early 2021 and cannot be extended due to the nature of the permit.
We are currently also in the pool for Express Entry (FSW class with me as the main applicant), however, our score is in mid 460s, which based on recent draws looks slightly unlikely to be successful this year.

Thinking and questions:
Based on the criteria for Canadian work holiday visa (Slovenian citizen, 32 years old), I would be eligible for a working holiday visa. This way we could, if approved, remain in Canada for another 12 months (or maybe even 24, as based on my citizenship, I get two participations at WHV, although I'm unsure of the criteria for that). It would also enable me to get 1 year (or more) work experience in Canada (which was the original plan with my SOWP, but that can no longer happen as I only have just over 6 months left if the biometrics opened today and my SOWP was issued). With that 1 (or more) year of Canadian work experience, I could improve my CRS score and perhaps give it another go and enter EE after I have my Canadian experience.

Can anyone give me any advice if this is possible?
Can I have an open EE pool application and apply for WHV?
I'm not sure what kind of documents you need for WHV, but if any are the same as for EE FSW pool, can I re-use any of my papers?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Likely feasible.

- WHV program is closed until further notice and not issuing invitations due to COVID-19. We don't know when the program will reopen but hopefully this will be resolved by the time you are ready to apply.
- Yes, you can have an open EE pool application and apply for a WHV. No issues.
- Different set of documents. You can find everything on the IRCC web site: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/apply-work-permit.html
- You can participate more than once in the program but not in the same cateogry.
- Note that it's a lottery and Slovenia has a very small quota. So you are not guaranteed to be selected.

Kat_

Jun 17, 2020
Category........
FSW
Likely feasible.

- WHV program is closed until further notice and not issuing invitations due to COVID-19. We don't know when the program will reopen but hopefully this will be resolved by the time you are ready to apply.
- Yes, you can have an open EE pool application and apply for a WHV. No issues.
- Different set of documents. You can find everything on the IRCC web site: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/iec/apply-work-permit.html
- You can participate more than once in the program but not in the same cateogry.
- Note that it's a lottery and Slovenia has a very small quota. So you are not guaranteed to be selected.
Thanks scylla for your reply. Regarding the WHV program being closed, is there a link I can monitor to see when this changes?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.