+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Csq & workpermit expiring in federal stage (QSWP)

werwe05

Jul 16, 2019
hey,
could someone share/suggest your experience regarding my issue.

QSWP( PR)
#documents send- 11 jan 2019
#file received by IRCC - 17 jan 2019
#AOR ( file no & email stated "application received..., file no **** & link your application online" )- 2 April 2019
*****status bar shows = estimated time to complete file {{ 17 oct 2020 }}
#reviewing your application
# background check is in process
# medicals & biometrics &interview & extra documents -NOT NEEDED NOW
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS
my work permit expires - march 2020
my csq expires - aug 2020
***********MY DOUBTS :
1) how to stay in quebec after my workpermit expires ???
2) how do i maintain my status in quebec untill i receive PR???
3) My CSQ expires before a decision is made is it a problem?? if "yes" what can i do??

PLZ PLZ PLZ help me out...:(:(

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
hey,

QSWP( PR)
#AOR ( file no & email stated "application received..., file no **** & link your application online" )- 2 April 2019
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS
***********MY DOUBTS :
If you are working, you can apply for a closed wp through your employer. It's a simple process, no LMIA needed as you have csq.
As answered above
3) My CSQ expires before a decision is made is it a problem?? if "yes" what can i do??
No problem once you get on cwp

Answered in bold. All the best

werwe05

Jul 16, 2019
Hey immstu,

Thanks for suggestion. But, even if i apply closed WP . I will receive it till my csq expiry date only i guess..
In that case through CSQ also ill get till 2020 aug. but my PR decision will be made by 2020 oct.so, ill be without status 2months( aug, sept). What can i do for that time period.

Thanks..

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey immstu,

Thanks for suggestion. But, even if i apply closed WP . I will receive it till my csq expiry date only i guess..
In that case through CSQ also ill get till 2020 aug. but my PR decision will be made by 2020 oct.so, ill be without status 2months( aug, sept). What can i do for that time period.

Thanks..
you can apply for TRV -as visitor with in Canada during that period.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
@Immstu I will have the same issue in near future because the Federal process is now 21 months !!.

So you are saying that even if my CSQ is going to expire and I have an AOR from Federal stage, I can apply for an LMIA exempt closed work permit with that ? The work permit will be granted for 2 more years ?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
@Immstu I will have the same issue in near future because the Federal process is now 21 months !!.

So you are saying that even if my CSQ is going to expire and I have an AOR from Federal stage, I can apply for an LMIA exempt closed work permit with that ? The work permit will be granted for 2 more years ?
I believe so

Reactions: ncat99

Maxsharma12

Jun 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Yes, you can.... and work permit will be of 2 years or upto the date of expiration of your passport.(depends which will come first).

Reactions: ncat99

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Yes, you can.... and work permit will be of 2 years or upto the date of expiration of your passport.(depends which will come first).
Thanks @Maxsharma12 I am much relieved now.
@werwe05 All your concerns are answered below. Do not worry, because you have CSQ and AOR in hand. Your employer can extend job offer or a new employer can give you a job offer and with that you can extend your work permit, even if your CSQ is expired.

I also found official documentation for this. Pasting it here for everyone else.

On June 1, 2012, Quebec’s Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) implemented provisions that allow some work permit holders who are present in Quebec to submit an application to renew or extend their work authorizations in Canada without the employer having to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) or Service Canada (SC) and a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from MIDI.

Section 108 of the Règlement sur l’immigration au Québec (RIQ), which came into effect on August 2, 2018, specifies that Quebec Selection Certificates (CSQs) issued after the coming into force of the RIQ are valid for a duration of 24 months or until a decision is rendered on the permanent residence application by virtue of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).

Therefore,
:D since August 2, 2018, MIDI has no longer been renewing CSQs. CSQs are now issued for 24 months and remain valid for the duration of the permanent residence application, even if the 24-month period has passed. In addition, CSQs issued before August 2, 2018, that are valid for 36 months remain valid for the duration of the permanent residence application, even if the 36 months have passed. :D

Work permits are valid for the duration of the job offer or until the expiry of the travel document, whichever is earlier, and cannot exceed 2 years. The work permit validity should not be impacted by the CSQ’s validity. This time limit should allow the applicant sufficient time to submit an application for permanent residence before the work permit expires.

Work permits are issued by the authority of paragraph R205(a).

:( Only employer-specific work permits are to be issued (no open work permits). :(Entrepreneurs and self-employed applicants are not eligible to apply under this exemption (they may be eligible as Entrepreneurs/self-employed candidates seeking to operate a business under the LMIA exemption code C11).

Spouses or common-law partners who are accompanying the principal applicant and who are currently in Canada are entitled to apply for an open work permit for the duration of the principal applicant’s work permit, irrespective of the skill level of the principal applicant’s occupation (LMIA exemption code A75).

Sources for this information :

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/quebec-cases/labour-market-impact-assessment-exempt-work-permit-renewals-extensions-certain-quebec-selection-holders.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/quebec-cases/labour-market-impact-assessment-exempt-work-permit-renewals-extensions-certain-quebec-selection-holders.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Immstu
Jul 6, 2018
Hello,
I'm a CSQ holder from December 2016 , have applied for PR in 2017 . Mean while I received a letter from Quebec immigration to apply for a work permit to get early entry in Quebec and start business. When I applied for my work permit my CSQ was valid, unfortunately after 13 months federal immigration rejected my application with few concerns and adives me to reapply if I can address the concerns, now my question is that if I reapply has my CSQ be valid? Because it's a kind of continuation of the first application?

shielassi

Feb 19, 2020
Hello,
I'm a CSQ holder from December 2016 , have applied for PR in 2017 . Mean while I received a letter from Quebec immigration to apply for a work permit to get early entry in Quebec and start business. When I applied for my work permit my CSQ was valid, unfortunately after 13 months federal immigration rejected my application with few concerns and adives me to reapply if I can address the concerns, now my question is that if I reapply has my CSQ be valid? Because it's a kind of continuation of the first application?
Hi,

Did you request for the "letter to get early entry" or MIDI just sent it to you? Under what category is your CSQ by the way? Thank you.

prabhsar

Feb 1, 2021
hey,

QSWP( PR)
THE MAIN PROBLEM IS
***********MY DOUBTS :

Hi, I am in the same situation now, is your employer based out of Quebec ?