+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19 lay off hours

zen_zen

Jul 3, 2020
Hey Guys

I was planning on applying for Canadian Experience PR with my current job. I started in my manger position on sept 1st 2019 and would have gotten my 1 year experience by sept 1st 2020 but due to Covid-19 I was laid off from the start of April until the end of June and I am worried they will not count this time towards my 1 year experience even though I was never terminated and started straight back full time in June. I am currently on an open work permit and I am thinking about asking for an extension to gain my hours of experience so I can apply for the PR, my current employer is willing to write a letter stating that I will continue to be employed in my role and gain the hours I need to qualify for the Canadian Experience PR. Is this the best route or will my hours while being laid off still be counted towards PR as I was still employed by the company.

I know this is long and confusing, sorry but I appreciate any help.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Guys

I was planning on applying for Canadian Experience PR with my current job. I started in my manger position on sept 1st 2019 and would have gotten my 1 year experience by sept 1st 2020 but due to Covid-19 I was laid off from the start of April until the end of June and I am worried they will not count this time towards my 1 year experience even though I was never terminated and started straight back full time in June. I am currently on an open work permit and I am thinking about asking for an extension to gain my hours of experience so I can apply for the PR, my current employer is willing to write a letter stating that I will continue to be employed in my role and gain the hours I need to qualify for the Canadian Experience PR. Is this the best route or will my hours while being laid off still be counted towards PR as I was still employed by the company.

I know this is long and confusing, sorry but I appreciate any help.
Thanks
No - unfortunately the time period you were laid off cannot be counted as work experience. You'll need to work additional months in the manager role to make up for the months you were laid off.

PGWP cannot be extended.

If you want to work beyond the validity of your PGWP, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit.

zen_zen

Jul 3, 2020
No - unfortunately the time period you were laid off cannot be counted as work experience. You'll need to work additional months in the manager role to make up for the months you were laid off.

PGWP cannot be extended.

If you want to work beyond the validity of your PGWP, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit.
Hey Thanks for your reply. I am not on a PGWP I am on an Open Work Permit, can this get extended with "Guide 5553 - Applying for a work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions, initial and open work permits - online application

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Thanks for your reply. I am not on a PGWP I am on an Open Work Permit, can this get extended with "Guide 5553 - Applying for a work permit inside Canada – extend, change conditions, initial and open work permits - online application
Ah - that may change things.

What kind of open work permit? On what basis did you receive it?

zen_zen

Jul 3, 2020
Ah - that may change things.

What kind of open work permit? On what basis did you receive it?
It is an open work permit that I obtained as a bridging visa while applying for common law PR. a few months after receiving my visa and while my common law PR was in the last stages of processing my partner and I split up closing my PR application but my work permit remained active.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is an open work permit that I obtained as a bridging visa while applying for common law PR. a few months after receiving my visa and while my common law PR was in the last stages of processing my partner and I split up closing my PR application but my work permit remained active.
We are back to the original answer.

Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can swtich to a closed work permit.

You cannot extend the open work permit since your family sponsorship application has been canceled. That sponsorship application was the reason why you qualified for the OWP.

Reactions: thevisawhisperer

rs572

Dec 10, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Visa Office......
Delhi
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017,
AOR Received.
Application received on 18-05-2017
Med's Done....
Medical test passed on 27-05-2017
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
June 1, 2018
We are back to the original answer.

Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can swtich to a closed work permit.

You cannot extend the open work permit since your family sponsorship application has been canceled. That sponsorship application was the reason why you qualified for the OWP.
Hii i am on the pgwp and lost hours due to covid 19 lay off.. i read that people have raised petition in ontario to extend pgwp for candidates like us...after all, it is not our fault..either they must extend pgwp or they must consider lost hours as work experience...LMIA procedure is very complicated and not all employers willing to do it..