+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counting work experience for CEC

11CECapp

Star Member
Oct 14, 2019
Hi all,
I’m hoping someone can verify that I’m calculating my work experience hours correctly.

I started counting hours weekly from Aug 6 2018, the day I applied for my PGWP (PGWP issued Oct 6). I have not counted any hours above 30 a week.

On Oct 27 2019,I will have been working PT for 64 weeks (Aug 6 to Oct 27). However, there was a period of 6 weeks where I went to visit my parents in my home country and renew my passport and so I have excluded this time in my calculation as it was unpaid time off (I will explain this when submitting my application). That said, this means that by Oct 27, I will, have worked 1561.25 hours in 58 weeks, which amounts to 26.9 hours a week, on average.

to convert this into full time weeks:
26.9/30 x 58 weeks= 52 full time weeks.

Does this look ok to you guys? Am I missing anything?

I have literally counted hours week by week from Aug 6 and on Oct 27 it’ll add up to 1561.25, but I hear that what matters is the full time weeks worked so I’ve converted my hours into full time weeks to see if it’s matching up.

thanks in advance for your input!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Sounds OK to me. However, to be on the safe side you may want to wait another week and add another 20+ hours. As it stands, you're only 75 minutes away from being ineligible.. not worth the risk in case you made a mistake somewhere.

Reactions: jes_ON

11CECapp

Star Member
Oct 14, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Fair enough, I’ve been thinking the same. Better to have more hours/Weeks than required to be safe.

I have one more question, maybe you can help? I actually started working this job when I was still in school to get my foot in the door and when I finished school my hours increased as I took up more responsibilities. Only worked 14 hours a week in school, so didn’t violate the condition or anything, and I’ll make sure my employer mentions this when they write my reference letter. Plus I have all the pay stubs to verify all this. Just wondering if you think this matters at all or will affect my application?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the reply! Fair enough, I’ve been thinking the same. Better to have more hours/Weeks than required to be safe.

I have one more question, maybe you can help? I actually started working this job when I was still in school to get my foot in the door and when I finished school my hours increased as I took up more responsibilities. Only worked 14 hours a week in school, so didn’t violate the condition or anything, and I’ll make sure my employer mentions this when they write my reference letter. Plus I have all the pay stubs to verify all this. Just wondering if you think this matters at all or will affect my application?
You need to exclude any hours you gained while you were a full-time student. It sounds like you aren't including them, so you should be ok.

Other than that, it doesn't matter that you worked legally while you were a student. Those hours won't count, that's all.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html
Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)].

11CECapp

Star Member
Oct 14, 2019
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, haven’t counted any hours worked while a student, only from when I submitted my application for PGWP.
Thanks so much for the responses!