+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Costs of Giving Birth in Canada - Permanent Resident (Health Card)

craunchi

Jan 9, 2012
My wife is expecting and most probabely will give birth in Mississauge. Can someone who went through the same process advice about the expected costs and procedures, experience. My wife has a valid Health Card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she has a valid health card, she shouldn't have to pay for anything. Just if you happen to call an ambulance to take you to the hospital rather than go in your own car, then you will have to pay for the ambulance.

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
normal delivery 5 to 8 k CAD C section 10 to 12 k CAD with 2-3 days hospital stay.
above amount does nt include and complications and bill can be very high in that case.

if u have OHIP then its free except for semi or private room charges.

cjava22

Apr 5, 2012
Hi, agood day to you all. Me and my wife would like to ask you guys for advice regarding our situation. We landed in 2009 and got our PR card but been in and out of canada since then. We never stayed long enough to get a health card in toronto where we initially landed and stayed. Now my wife is pregnant and expecting to deliver in June and we are currently staying outside Canada since 2010. Is there a way to get the health card and its benefits if she give birth in Canada without the 3 months waiting period. Thank you in advance.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cjava22 said:
Is there a way to get the health card and its benefits if she give birth in Canada without the 3 months waiting period.
Not if you are planning on living in Toronto. They make no exceptions to the 3 month waiting period. Even if you had at some point stayed for 3 months and applied for your health cards, you would have lost your coverage again being outside Canada that much. OHIP makes it a requirement that you stay for at least 5 of the first 6 months as you qualify to get your OHIP and after that at least 6 months a year.

If you were to move to another province, not BC or NB either and not Ontario, the health care there might consider that you never actually settled in ON and may treat your move as an international move and give you first day coverage. However, all health care systems in Canada require living in the province for 6 months a year to be eligible for their health care so if you leave after less than 6 months, they may decide that you never should have been eligible in the first place and you may get backcharged for the services you received.

Quebec does have a 3 month waiting period but makes exceptions for pregnant women. However, I have also heard of a case where a PR family was refused coverage for the birth of their 2nd child in Quebec as they had not stayed in Quebec after their first child had been born there.

cjava22

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the reply and usefull info. Leon. You have mentioned that other province offer coverage on the first day, can you please tell us which province are these? Thank you again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cjava22 said:
Thanks for the reply and usefull info. Leon. You have mentioned that other province offer coverage on the first day, can you please tell us which province are these? Thank you again.
Just to clarify, that is coverage on the first day if you are moving from another country. If you move within Canada, you would still have to do a 3 month waiting period but if you have a health card from the other province already, they would cover you for 3 months in the new province until you get a health card there.

Provinces with first day coverage are as far as I know all of them except Ontario, BC, NB (they were talking about changing it) and Quebec (which has exceptions for pregnant women though). However, if you are thinking about some province in particular, you might want to contact their health care and make sure that 1st day coverage applies.

walter8299

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
shekhawatmx said:
normal delivery 5 to 8 k CAD C section 10 to 12 k CAD with 2-3 days hospital stay.
above amount does nt include and complications and bill can be very high in that case.

if u have OHIP then its free except for semi or private room charges.
does the fee include the doctor fees and staying overnight for 24 hrs (let say it is a normal delivery with no complications).?

we already pay the obs doctor $5000, does that mean we already paid the doctor portion of the fee?
i have read somewhere it is along the line of $1000 per night which includes the delivery/labour room when the baby comes.

any more insights into this?

Janna3D

May 17, 2012
Kanata, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2012
File Transfer...
24-08-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
09-12-2012
Just fyi- I had a very complex emergency c-section which required bringing in the head of obstetrics to perform the surgery. People on immigration forums(not this one!) scared me with quotes of up to $20k!!! But the total was only $8800 for everything and mine was a complex surgery! I had a friend give regular birth at the same hospital and it was $4500. She opted for anesthesia, but if your wife opts for natural birth, the cost should only be about $2500.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Janna3D said:
Just fyi- I had a very complex emergency c-section which required bringing in the head of obstetrics to perform the surgery. People on immigration forums(not this one!) scared me with quotes of up to $20k!!! But the total was only $8800 for everything and mine was a complex surgery! I had a friend give regular birth at the same hospital and it was $4500. She opted for anesthesia, but if your wife opts for natural birth, the cost should only be about $2500.
Which province was that and which hospital? Maybe it could help somebody else to know that.

I have heard of costs between 5 and 10,000 to be common but I have also heard of cases where they went over 20. I guess it depends on if there are complications afterwards.

Janna3D

May 17, 2012
Kanata, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2012
File Transfer...
24-08-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
09-12-2012
Leon said:
Which province was that and which hospital? Maybe it could help somebody else to know that.

I have heard of costs between 5 and 10,000 to be common but I have also heard of cases where they went over 20. I guess it depends on if there are complications afterwards.
It was Ottawa Civic Hospital in Ontario. They were awesome btw, amazing team of doctors and nurses who treated me well. Should anyone choose this hospital, make sure you tell the administratirs that your spouse is Canadian. They have discounted fees for people like us.

soulli

May 10, 2012
hi,

they ask if you are canadian?what they ask also? do you have to show them any paper?

REGARDS?

goibi

Jun 26, 2010
hi everyone!my wife is a TFW here in Sask..but already been applied for her PR and is already in the federal process.btw,{we just met here in Sask and I first applied for PR before we even got married.}now she is pregnant and we just want to know how much it will cost us when she give birth?She has her health card and an insurance though.thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goibi said:
hi everyone!my wife is a TFW here in Sask..but already been applied for her PR and is already in the federal process.btw,{we just met here in Sask and I first applied for PR before we even got married.}now she is pregnant and we just want to know how much it will cost us when she give birth?She has her health card and an insurance though.thanks in advance
If she has a health card, it will be covered under your health care and will cost you nothing.

goibi

Jun 26, 2010
ok.that sounds good..thanks!and another thing..she's worried about her being pregnant like will it affect her PR application in anyway?