+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR, planning to come back to US asap

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
Hi,
My PR was recently approved and I am planning to travel to Canada from US to get the PR Card and complete the landing formalities. I do have couple of questions on the same.

1. As mentioned, I am on H1B. I want to travel to Vancouver and apply for the PR card. I do want to return back to US as soon as possible after the landing. Would that create an issue?

2. Besides applying for SIN, what other formalities would be recommended to complete once I land in Canada?

3. On the PR my preferred destination was Ontario but I would be landing in Vancouver, would that be an issue?

4. I am not going to have tons of goods to follow as my family is still in the US. Would that create an issue?

5. When you cross the border if you have all your funds in the US bank account - do I still need to declare those funds to the customs?

Thanks

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
My PR was recently approved and I am planning to travel to Canada from US to get the PR Card and complete the landing formalities. I do have couple of questions on the same.

1. As mentioned, I am on H1B. I want to travel to Vancouver and apply for the PR card. I do want to return back to US as soon as possible after the landing. Would that create an issue?

NO....

2. Besides applying for SIN, what other formalities would be recommended to complete once I land in Canada?

Health Card and I would suggest to open up a Bank Account...Book an appointment with the bank you would like to open an account with..dont just walk-in...

3. On the PR my preferred destination was Ontario but I would be landing in Vancouver, would that be an issue?

NO....
But If your PR was based on Ontario PNP then they might cross-question you but it should not be a problem...in that case, just tell them that you are there just for the landing formalities and eventually move to Ontario.

4. I am not going to have tons of goods to follow as my family is still in the US. Would that create an issue?

No issues...

5. When you cross the border if you have all your funds in the US bank account - do I still need to declare those funds to the customs?

Declare everything that you might bring into Canada (in future) , WITH YOU....and thats it....You dont have to declare the money in your US account...but if you are planning to get that money in cash, with you, in your pockets or bag or wherever...declare it....simple....
And if you dont get the things with you that you declared then nobody cares...so declare whatever you can think of...it does not harm you....

FYI, By declaring the goods to follow (in future) is for your own benefit so you dont have to pay customs on whatever you declared....

Thanks

Reactions: STCVer

STCVer

Apr 10, 2013
I really appreciate your reply. I plan to give local address that's in Ontario.

I am super confused about returning back to the US. What should be my response if I am asked at the entry about my plans in the Canada? Should I tell them that I plan to stay few days and plan to come back to Canada later?

Also, to satisfy the requirements of PR - my understanding is I need to spend 2 years out of 5 years. Is that correct?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really appreciate your reply. I plan to give local address that's in Ontario.

I am super confused about returning back to the US. What should be my response if I am asked at the entry about my plans in the Canada? Should I tell them that I plan to stay few days and plan to come back to Canada later?

Also, to satisfy the requirements of PR - my understanding is I need to spend 2 years out of 5 years. Is that correct?
Just tell them that you are here to finish up the landing formalities and will move to Canada later as you have some unfinished things that needs to be taken care in US.....I am not making it up....One of my friends just did the same ...He was in Canada just for few hours and then he left...He is in US now....If you want I can connect you with him....

And your understanding about the residency requirement is correct....