+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Contract job !!!

Mujahed28

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi all,
I recently got a job offer from very big company.
But its a 10 month contract job,with hourly wages and entry level position.
Should i accept it ?
I heard that if your work is good or they like you ,they might hire you permanently.
Is this true or i will be wasting my time and should look for permanent job with better pay?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
Should i accept it ?
I heard that if your work is good or they like you ,they might hire you permanently.
Is this true or i will be wasting my time and should look for permanent job with better pay?
It's impossible for any of us to say if this can turn into a full time job. You will need to ask the company.

Sometimes companies hire contract workers and later turn them into permanent employees. However there are also many cases where companies just need contract workers for a period of time and have no plans to make them permanent.

Again, impossible for any of us to comment on your specific situation.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
All depends upon your situation. Are you currently without a job? Are you in a position money wise where you can hold out for that permanent dream job that has all the bells and whistles you are looking for ? Some take the contract job because it gives them valued experience and networking they can use moving forward when they are looking for another position. You could always search online for past workers experience regarding if they hire from contract to permanent , or even better ask some that already work there.
If you do take the contract position, it is not for very long. Get some valuable experience under your belt, and continue looking. However I always advise people when taking the contract, work your contract to fruition. Never burn your bridges, especially if it is with a large firm. Especially if you leave before the contract is up, and you put that firm as a reference.
One thing you might want to ask is, if you are going to be placed on the payroll, versus you being a independent contractor. Some companies like to classify people as contractors versus employees so they do not have to pay any payroll taxes. And you file your taxes as a independent contractor That opens up another whole other barrel of wax when the employee employer relationship is examined, and whether a arms length relationship exists

Last edited:

Mujahed28

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
T
All depends upon your situation. Are you currently without a job? Are you in a position money wise where you can hold out for that permanent dream job that has all the bells and whistles you are looking for ? Some take the contract job because it gives them valued experience and networking they can use moving forward when they are looking for another position. You could always search online for past workers experience regarding if they hire from contract to permanent , or even better ask some that already work there.
If you do take the contract position, it is not for very long. Get some valuable experience under your belt, and continue looking. However I always advise people when taking the contract, work your contract to fruition. Never burn your bridges, especially if it is with a large firm. Especially if you leave before the contract is up, and you put that firm as a reference.
One thing you might want to ask is, if you are going to be placed on the payroll, versus you being a independent contractor. Some companies like to classify people as contractors versus employees so they do not have to pay any payroll taxes. And you file your taxes as a independent contractor That opens up another whole other barrel of wax when the employee employer relationship is examined, and whether a arms length relationship exists
Thank you

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi all,
Should i accept it ?
Its easier to get a "job" when you already have a "job". If you aren't currently employed, it probably makes sense to accept the contract do your best and shine at what you do while you keep looking for a better job.

Worst case scenario would be the contract ends and you have excellent professional references which you can leverage when searching for your next role.