+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Connection with other who are planning to go the H1b to PR route

h1b_to_pr

May 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have a job offer from canada and am very seriously thinking about it. I have been lurking around the forum and special this thread. I wanted to connect with people who are in the same boat or are planning to file for PR through express entry.
Is there a whatsapp group for this purpose? Also, can anyone spare some time, I was looking at picking someone's brains who has been through this process/ route? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
How did you get an offer without PR? Its not very common. Do you mind sharing some info about the pay offered? is it close to USA pay?

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
I'm waiting for the FBI clearance to submit my EE application. Planning to start looking for jobs after PR. I tried looking for jobs now but didnt get many responses. Is your pay in Cananda going to be higher than US after exchange rate also? I'm all set to move after getting PR but the only thing that concerns me is the pay. Based on what others have said on this blog you could end up with a 40% cut in pay (compared from US) after you factor in taxes and FX.
Do you mind sharing what's your field of work?

h1b_to_pr

May 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the FBI clearance to submit my EE application. Planning to start looking for jobs after PR. I tried looking for jobs now but didnt get many responses. Is your pay in Cananda going to be higher than US after exchange rate also? I'm all set to move after getting PR but the only thing that concerns me is the pay. Based on what others have said on this blog you could end up with a 40% cut in pay (compared from US) after you factor in taxes and FX.
I am in Tech area. I dont know if converting 1 to 1.34 is the right way to look at it.
for me personaly i cant wait for 12 years to get gc on eb2, its not fair. its complete discrimination. So i am looking forward to taking this step.

ekramece

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Hello, I am also waiting for FBI clearance to submit the application. I sent the fingerprint card to FBI on May 17. When did you submit your application to FBI?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
what if country cap is removed as soon as we all move to Canada?! US GC is lot better than CAD PR!

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
what if country cap is removed as soon as we all move to Canada?! US GC is lot better than CAD PR!
That may very well happen.. Murphy's law.
However US GC is only better in terms of allowing you to work in US which means higher pay than Canada. Canada PR actually has more benefits than US GC. The biggest benefit i see is that one can apply for their parents PR without waiting for citizenship. Whereas in US, you have to wait 5 more years. I believe you also get unemployment benefits on PR unlike GC.

boatyyo

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Hello, I am also waiting for FBI clearance to submit the application. I sent the fingerprint card to FBI on May 17. When did you submit your application to FBI?
I submitted the week of April 10th. As of yesterday they are opening mail from March 31st and it takes about 3 days for them to process the application. So i'm keeping fingers crossed it comes soon. I will be cutting it very close.

Reactions: ekramece

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
That may very well happen.. Murphy's law.
However US GC is only better in terms of allowing you to work in US which means higher pay than Canada. Canada PR actually has more benefits than US GC. The biggest benefit i see is that one can apply for their parents PR without waiting for citizenship. Whereas in US, you have to wait 5 more years. I believe you also get unemployment benefits on PR unlike GC.
One gets unemployment benefits in GC too. Plus US has plenty of weather options to settle.. like west coast, east coast etc. If someone doesn't like snow, they can settle in a warmer place.

And 80% (may be more than that) of top 100 universities in world are present in US. Canada just has 4 or so among the top 100! Four universities are okay for it's population size, but more college technically means more options for kids.

I agree with the parents PR thing. Also they have this super visa which technically lets parents stay permanently with us.

Last edited:

ekramece

Star Member
May 17, 2017
I submitted the week of April 10th. As of yesterday they are opening mail from March 31st and it takes about 3 days for them to process the application. So i'm keeping fingers crossed it comes soon. I will be cutting it very close.
Thanks for the info. Just curious- how did you know the current date as March 31st?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
You can call FBI and ask they will tell you. I too am waiting for FBI PCC - documents delivered on 17th April - so hopeful of getting it by month end or July first week. That and Medicals are pending - which I have planned to get done during holiday in Canada later this month. Received ITA on 17th May

Reactions: ekramece