+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

complicated story but could really use some help

KimP

Nov 26, 2008
hi everyone,

I'll try to explain my story as quickly as possible. My boyfriend and I have been together for over 1 1/2 yrs. I'm American and he's a Canadian citizen. Back in August I tried to go up there and visit him for 6 months to establish common law as well as to look at jobs and schools. My job and lease in the US has expired so they deemed me "inadmissable" saying that I was trying to enter the country illegally and had no intention on leaving even though I told them I would and was willing to provide them with an address where I would be staying. Since then I am not allowed to enter Canada even though I have no felony convictions and am in no way a threat the Canadian security (I looked up the definition of "inadmissable") We would like to get married some day and I didn't want to do it just to be able to immigrate but I am very serious about becoming a permanent resident and would be a productive member of society. This is not simply a way for me to get into Canada but a real and loving relationship with the full intention of marriage and children. Since we aren't yet married and have not been able to show common law what does everyone think our best course of action is to get me there as soon as possible? I used to visit frequently and am now unable and it is very hard on us. Thank you, Kim

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't really have too many options. If they've already banned you from visiting because they believe you will stay, that may cause them to deny you any other kind of temporary visa unless you can somehow prove that you will not stay. It's probably easier if you just get married, then he can sponsor you.

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
You see, this is how I and other people see it.
If you love him and want to "Eventually" marry him, and he is the main reason you want to be a permanent resident to Canada... then you should marry him easily, do the process and be here in less than a year.

If he is NOT the main reason to become a PR, then...you shouldn't, and you have to apply as an independent and wait however long it takes to get it.

As hard as it is, you must choose. Canadian Immigration is tough and getting tougher, so everyone is in the same boat, including US residents.