+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law statutory declaration

pea

Apr 23, 2008
Hi,

I am canadian and my common-law partner and I are currently living in London, UK and will be sending off our application soon (as soon as we received our police certificate from UK).

I was reading about having to submit at least 2 statutory declarations from individuals who have personal knowledge of our relationship to prove that our relationship is genuine and continuing - do these statements need to be notarised? (its really expensive to do that in the UK, £60 a pop - which means it will cost over £100 - CAD$200!!!!) can I send just statements without notarisation? I'm already including photocopy of my resident stamp from the UK (which I got by proving that me and my partner are common-law partners in the UK through the European Law).

Do you suggest that we wait till we get married before sending the application? we are planning to do so in July anyway. that way, don't have to prove our common-law relationship. the only worry I have is that he did his medical examination 19th May so is it too long of a wait? (maybe we did this too early! but I was stressed out and wanted to get all we can do done asap)

this application business is really stressing me out!! appreciate any help we can get!!! thanks in advance!!

pea

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pea said:
Hi,

I am canadian and my common-law partner and I are currently living in London, UK and will be sending off our application soon (as soon as we received our police certificate from UK).

I was reading about having to submit at least 2 statutory declarations from individuals who have personal knowledge of our relationship to prove that our relationship is genuine and continuing - do these statements need to be notarised? (its really expensive to do that in the UK, £60 a pop - which means it will cost over £100 - CAD$200!!!!) can I send just statements without notarisation? I'm already including photocopy of my resident stamp from the UK (which I got by proving that me and my partner are common-law partners in the UK through the European Law).

Do you suggest that we wait till we get married before sending the application? we are planning to do so in July anyway. that way, don't have to prove our common-law relationship. the only worry I have is that he did his medical examination 19th May so is it too long of a wait? (maybe we did this too early! but I was stressed out and wanted to get all we can do done asap)

this application business is really stressing me out!! appreciate any help we can get!!! thanks in advance!!

pea
As you are getting married next month, wait until then, and submit the application, The medical is valid for a year, and London should have the application completed well before then. Don't forget, you still require evidence of the relationship, just attaching a marriage certificate is not enough.

PMM

pea

Apr 23, 2008
thanks! okay, I feel better about it.... will definitely include lots of evidence anyway to support our application!