+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Civil Union in Quebec and then apply for CSQ

sharma030119

Sep 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend, who is a French citizen, has a closed work permit with his company in Montreal. I came to Canada on a study permit but currently, I'm on a visitor's visa. We have been in a relationship from the past 2 years but we were not common-law partners due to some conditions.

Options of us living and working together in Quebec are - doing a civil union and then eventually apply for an open work permit for me or apply for CSQ together and then try to get a work permit for me.

but our doubt is that - Will the civil union be accepted for an open work permit or CSQ?
- Will I be able to get a work permit after receiving our CSQ?

Please reply if you have any knowledge of such a case. Has anyone has done civil union in Quebec? I'm just desperate for help.

Thank you in advance
-Kunika

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

My boyfriend, who is a French citizen, has a closed work permit with his company in Montreal. I came to Canada on a study permit but currently, I'm on a visitor's visa. We have been in a relationship from the past 2 years but we were not common-law partners due to some conditions.

Options of us living and working together in Quebec are - doing a civil union and then eventually apply for an open work permit for me or apply for CSQ together and then try to get a work permit for me.

but our doubt is that - Will the civil union be accepted for an open work permit or CSQ?
- Will I be able to get a work permit after receiving our CSQ?

Please reply if you have any knowledge of such a case. Has anyone has done civil union in Quebec? I'm just desperate for help.

Thank you in advance
-Kunika
A Quebec civil union doesn't meant anything. You need to be married or common-law to qualify for a work permit based in your partner's status.

sharma030119

Sep 18, 2019
A Quebec civil union doesn't meant anything. You need to be married or common-law to qualify for a work permit based in your partner's status.
Thanks for your reply but as per this thread -
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/civil-union-in-quebec-spouse-of-a-french-citizen-with-post-grad-visa.513411/

I had an impression that this couple could apply for open work permit depending to their civil union partner's visa status.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply but as per this thread -
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/civil-union-in-quebec-spouse-of-a-french-citizen-with-post-grad-visa.513411/

I had an impression that this couple could apply for open work permit depending to their civil union partner's visa status.
As that person says in their post, they lived together, so the permit would have been issued based on being common-law. Provinces have their own rules for common-law and unions. IRCC doesn't care about any of that. They use their own rule, one year of continuous cohabitation to be common-law or marriage.