+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship test

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey, I just wanted to share my experience from the test. I had waited for 2 yrs. and 4 months since I got the letter of acknowlegement from my application and finally they called me in to take the test. They gave me about 2 weeks notice to show up and I had to bring my passport, IMM100, PR card and 2 pieces of ID. There were about 50 people there and they told us to wait, everybody was supposed to be there at 1 pm. At 1 pm they started to check peoples documents and it took about 1 and a half hours to get everybody checked and into the room. Every person they checked was given a seat number and each seat had a clip board on it. After everybody was in the room, they distributed pencils and tests. Then they had a 10 minute lecture on how to fill out the answer sheets. Then they started the test. When you are done the test, you can leave but you get up to 30 minutes to complete it. The test is 20 questions and it's multiple choice. I did not think it was very hard. I did not ask how many you need to pass but the last 5 questions that are about your rights and duties as a citizen as well as voting you have to get right or you fail. They said they would let me know by mail and tell me when to show up for the oath but they did also say that the oath happens around 3 months after the test.

For those who are preparing for the test, there's a good practice test here: http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/index.cfm

tin

Jul 19, 2008
nice leon for posting what u did for ctizenship test..at least,we have a bit knowledge what u shared..who will take the test,couples only?5 yrs.fr. now,rules might change again....if am pr,how many yrs.to wait to apply citizenship?are there applicants also failed?..thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To apply for citizenship, you have to be PR and have lived in Canada for at least 3 years out of the last 4 years since you became PR. If you were there before you became a PR, that time counts as half if it was within the 4 years. Say you became PR after 2 years in Canada, you could count the first 2 years as one year and the next 2 years as PR fill the requirements.

Only people between 18 and 54 have to take the test. If you fail the test, they will give you the opportunity to do an interview with a citizenship judge and show that you know the answers to the questions. I don't know how many people fail.

tin

Jul 19, 2008
Leon said:
To apply for citizenship, you have to be PR and have lived in Canada for at least 3 years out of the last 4 years since you became PR. If you were there before you became a PR, that time counts as half if it was within the 4 years. Say you became PR after 2 years in Canada, you could count the first 2 years as one year and the next 2 years as PR fill the requirements.

Only people between 18 and 54 have to take the test. If you fail the test, they will give you the opportunity to do an interview with a citizenship judge and show that you know the answers to the questions. I don't know how many people fail.
u mean to say,the no.i stayed here since i worked as caregiver until i got my pr,a benefit of half yr.for citizenship?..so there will be 2 1/2 yr.more to complete the 3 yrs..for required yrs.obtaining citiznship?.

after pr,and stayed here for 2 yrs.that counts one yr..? is that what u mean?..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will give you half credit for the time you spent in Canada before you became PR but only count the last 4 years.

If the last 4 years you had spent 2 years as PR and 2 years as not PR, they will count 3 and you can apply. If you spent 2.5 years as PR and 1 as not PR, that will also count for 3. If you spent 3 years as PR, you can apply too. You also have to add vacation time if you left Canada for a couple of weeks here and there. Say you spent 2 years as PR and 2 years as not PR but took total 1 month in vacations outside Canada, then you would have to wait a month before you can apply.

nazam80

Dec 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/08/2011 for PR and Visitor permit extension
Doc's Request.
Police certificate requested on 18th sep 2012 , fingers prints requested on 1st nov 2012
File Transfer...
Filed transferred to local office on 5th sep 2012
Med's Done....
11th August 2011
Hi, I came back to this forum after 4 years. I finally applied the Citizenship Application based on the new rule. Any idea how long it's taking nowadays? I know the website says generic 12 months but it does not give any dates about the cases they are processing right now ... Any answer would be helpful