AOR Received.
10-08-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
13-05-2013
Med's Done....
17-05-2013
The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) union is currently taking strike action. PAFSO union members responsible for processing visa applications have been walking out of offices in Canada and overseas.
Posted processing times for both temporary and permanent resident visa applications do not take into account work stoppages.
Anyone applying for a visa should anticipate delays and submit their application as far in advance as possible.
Contingency plans are already in place to ensure all offices remain open and are providing at least a minimum level of service. Priority will be placed on urgent humanitarian applications.
CIC continues to closely monitor the situation.

Does this mean all the applications are going to get delayed??

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Talk to some one I KNOW in that department, it should be over by end of this week

giannetti22

Jul 11, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
AOR Received.
10-08-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
13-05-2013
Med's Done....
17-05-2013
I sure hope so.. My application is stuck my medicals which were sent electronically on 30 may and still there is no sign of progress... still havent received my rprf fees and biodata forms...

ahm2307

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
AOR Received.
26-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
26-10-2012
Some people have been saying it's a different ministry/union. I'm not entirely sure...

Either way, some people have been hearing back from the CIC since the strike began, so surely there's someone still there.

Fingers crossed the strike ends either way.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ahm2307 said:
Some people have been saying it's a different ministry/union. I'm not entirely sure...

Either way, some people have been hearing back from the CIC since the strike began, so surely there's someone still there.

Fingers crossed the strike ends either way.
You realize that it is two different unions? PAFSO represents the Foreign Service Officers who work for Dept. of External affairs, and are on strike. CIC employees are represented by PSAC who are NOT on strikes.

ahm2307

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
AOR Received.
26-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
26-10-2012
PMM said:
Hi

You realize that it is two different unions? PAFSO represents the Foreign Service Officers who work for Dept. of External affairs, and are on strike. CIC employees are represented by PSAC who are NOT on strikes.
Well that's good news.

Still, unions have a tendency to pull together if one goes on strike; in this case, PSAC might vote a partial or complete strike to stand "in solidarity" with PAFSO (though, really, it's an opportunistic attempt to kick the government while it's down and try to cash in on the other strike). Let's hope that does not end up happening.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
giannetti22 said:
The Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) union is currently taking strike action. PAFSO union members responsible for processing visa applications have been walking out of offices in Canada and overseas.
Posted processing times for both temporary and permanent resident visa applications do not take into account work stoppages.
Anyone applying for a visa should anticipate delays and submit their application as far in advance as possible.
Contingency plans are already in place to ensure all offices remain open and are providing at least a minimum level of service. Priority will be placed on urgent humanitarian applications.

There is no such thing as a "CIC Strike" happening at this time.

This is why forum needs sticky posts. This nonsense has been posted 200 billion times so far and just worries poor applicants who take it for real.

Different departments of different ministries. No, CEC is NOT affected.

brightredscream

Sep 1, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
File Transfer...
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2012
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
21-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2013
Then why are media outlets saying that VISAs and immigration are being affected?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
PMM said:
Hi

That seems contrary to CIC's own disclaimer though.

ondine

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-10-2012
I work in downtown Ottawa. Today, around lunchtime, i ran into a small demonstration of foreign service workers on strike. I talked to two of them briefly and this is what i found out: 1) there are workers from both CIC and DFAIT on strike; 2) the CIC employee confirmed that the processing of applications would suffer a slowdown.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
gladaki said:
Talk to some one I KNOW in that department, it should be over by end of this week
There are only 2 ways it can get resolved. Either a collective agreement is tabled that the members can ratify or they are legislated back to work by Harper. Parliament shuts down for the summer after tomorrow. It will take more than a day to table back to work legislation for a service that will be hard to sell as "essential".

ondine

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-09-2012
AOR Received.
30-10-2012
Ok, just found a story on the PAFSO demonstration I witnessed earlier today: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1187123/media-advisory-canada-s-foreign-service-officers-announce-additional-pickets-in-ottawa-and-escalated-service-withdrawals

Some highlights that are relevant to all of us:

As part of ongoing job action to bring Treasury Board back to the negotiating table to address wage inequities, Canada's Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) announced 'information pickets' to be held Thursday, June 20th in downtown Ottawa and further withdrawals of service in key international locations.

"The escalated scope and intensity of service withdrawals this month are a direct consequence of the federal government's refusal to engage meaningfully with its employees on the issue of pay equity," said Tim Edwards, PAFSO President. "While we're eager to get back to work, these disruptions will continue until Treasury Board offers a fair deal to our members."

PAFSO officials estimate that job action by immigration officers has resulted in major delays to application processing and a significant drop in the number of visas being issued. These impacts will be felt directly by Canada's tourism industry, educational institutions, and businesses relying on temporary foreign workers. The Department of Citizenship & Immigration's decision to shift non-striking resources toward visa processing will also result in significant processing delays to applications for permanent residency.
Basically CIC is moving people from PR processing to visa processing... Hence the slowdown we have seen recently. Hopefully this whole mess will be solved soon enough.

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
giannetti22 said:

i submitted my passport for visa stamping less than 2 weeks ago. got it back today with everything. so not sure how the strike is actually impacting us. perhaps it is impacting applicants differently at different stages.

ahm2307

Nov 1, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
AOR Received.
26-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
26-10-2012
ondine said:
I work in downtown Ottawa. Today, around lunchtime, i ran into a small demonstration of foreign service workers on strike. I talked to two of them briefly and this is what i found out: 1) there are workers from both CIC and DFAIT on strike; 2) the CIC employee confirmed that the processing of applications would suffer a slowdown.
Damn...

What's your status/timeline like? I see you applied in September as well...

cutepinay

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 23, 2013
gladaki said:
hopefully it will end ...cross fingers and praying so much ..i need to get my visa and my passport .... :( i want to go home this november... :mad: