+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chosing a wireless provider in Ontario

kosta

Jan 21, 2009
I am facing a choice regarding choosing a provider and telephone in Toronto, ON.

What I want is and Android phone with the possibility of upgrading it to Android 2.2.

I can either buy an unlocked phone myself or take a subsides one from the provider. Depending on what are the advantages of the first option such as the possibility to negotiate a better plan, no long-terms contracts etc.

Now the options (and questions are):

1. I can buy Nexus One unlocked from Google store, but the issue will be which provider to chose? Would I be able to have a nice voice and data plan without signing a 3 years contract? Do they all sell a SIM-Card only if you come to them with yout own phone? I know that in Bell you need to buy a phone anyway! In case it is a prepaid (pay-as-you-go), do they have reasonable price for data? And again, the question is which provider?

2. Or I can go for Motorola Milestone, locked from Telus, but would it be possible to upgrade it to Android 2.2?

3. Any other Android 2.2 enabled (or with a confirmed possibility to upgrade) subsidised phones from any other provider?

I would really appreciate your ideas with this regard…

Acecare

Jul 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can also go in Ontario Wireless company, if you already heard it. They definitely provide good services which you are looking for. The price is reasonable.

cheguevera

Jun 7, 2010
Hi,

Based on own experience I really wouldn't recommend BELL for you. Also, be very careful, ask, ask and ask before you sign. The dealer is likely to said anything to sign you in. After that you may find that lot of his/her talks were lies. Make no mistake, if you complain after signing with the company, you will be told that they are sorry but that they didn't witness your discussion with the dealer.

Make sure that a credit check is not required to get a mobile phone. If you are told that a friend can sign you in if you do not have Canada ID yet, refuse it.

good luck