+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children Aid Society

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020
Hello Guys,

The Children Aid Society got involved somehow. What do I do now? Anybody has experience with CAS?

Note: My child is not being abused but husband is abusive towards me.

I am very worried.

Please advise.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys,

The Children Aid Society got involved somehow. What do I do now? Anybody has experience with CAS?

I am very worried.

Please advise.

Thank you
This is much too serious for this immigration forum. You must contact CAS and deal with the case worker. If you want to leave your partner you should call the women’s shelters in your area. Children are removed if they are in a dangerous household it doesn’t matter that you weren’t the one being abusive. You’ll need to take steps to create a safe environment for your children.

Reactions: sapna_st

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020
This is much too serious for this immigration forum. You must contact CAS and deal with the case worker. If you want to leave your partner you should call the women’s shelters in your area. Children are removed if they are in a dangerous household it doesn’t matter that you weren’t the one being abusive. You’ll need to take steps to create a safe environment for your children.
Yes, you are right. I am currently working on that. I believe I am wrong for staying too long in an abusive marriage and it led to this. Anyways, thank you for the reply. I was at a loss what to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, you are right. I am currently working on that. I believe I am wrong for staying too long in an abusive marriage and it led to this. Anyways, thank you for the reply. I was at a loss what to do.
If you don’t Know how to find the organizations please let us know what area you live in and we will look up the organizations for you. It is very important that you not tell your spouse that you are leaving in advance because that is when your life is most at risk. If ever returning to your home to pick up items make sure you have the police with you.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello Guys,

I am very worried.

Please advise.

Thank you
I know people who work at CAS. Go to legal aid and apply for a certificate so that you can be represented. Which province are you in? The key is to work with CAS. If there is abuse in the home, you will need to resolve this. Either you get couple's counselling tofix your marriage, him move out or you move out. If you are in Toronto, I can give you a couple of names for lawyers who accept legal aid who may be able to help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know people who work at CAS. Go to legal aid and apply for a certificate so that you can be represented. Which province are you in? The key is to work with CAS. If there is abuse in the home, you will need to resolve this. Either you get couple's counselling tofix your marriage, him move out or you move out. If you are in Toronto, I can give you a couple of names for lawyers who accept legal aid who may be able to help.
If she wants to get her child back marriage counselling is not enough. The issue isn’t a relationship breakdown it is violence and abuse. People who abuse their spouses are unlikely to change. Your spouse will need to attend classes about domestic violence if he want to have his son in his life now that he is with CAS. You really need to decide what if you are ready to leave your spouse. I would reach out to domestic violence shelters first versus legal aid. They are very familiar with the system and will be able to guide you. They may already work with CAS or a lawyer. You deserve to be in a relationship without abuse. DO NOT tell your spouse that you are planning on leaving him. If at all possible only tell him you are leaving him when you are already in a safe place and out of the home.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If she wants to get her child back marriage counselling is not enough. The issue isn’t a relationship breakdown it is violence and abuse. People who abuse their spouses are unlikely to change. Your spouse will need to attend classes about domestic violence if he want to have his son in his life now that he is with CAS. You really need to decide what if you are ready to leave your spouse. I would reach out to domestic violence shelters first versus legal aid. They are very familiar with the system and will be able to guide you. They may already work with CAS or a lawyer. You deserve to be in a relationship without abuse. DO NOT tell your spouse that you are planning on leaving him. If at all possible only tell him you are leaving him when you are already in a safe place and out of the home.
The issue is clear, I was just giving some options that I know have been done by CAS. They do a whole lot more, well the CAS lawyers and workers I know anyway. As I work in an immigration firm who helps refugees, we have a lot of CAS cases happening in parallel. I would never suggest that counselling in itself is enough, there is of course the responsibility that whatever is happening is being addressed and improvement must be shown. Once CAS starts a protection application, the goal will either be to have the child in the temporary care and custody of the parent/parents (depending on the situation) under the supervision of the CAS involved. That temporary order they will seek is usully granted on a temporary without prejudice basis. OR. If the situation at home is dire and no action to prevent physical, emotional, mental, etc harm on the kid is done, CAS may apprehend the child and seek to be the temporary legal parent. Either way, there is a lot of work to be done. Again, my advice is to attain legal aid if OP cannot afford a lawyer on her own and cooperate as much as possible. Most importantly, keep herself and her child safe.

Edit: our firm does not handle CAS matters, we just know what is going on as our clients loop us in

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue is clear, I was just giving some options that I know have been done by CAS. They do a whole lot more, well the CAS lawyers and workers I know anyway. As I work in an immigration firm who helps refugees, we have a lot of CAS cases happening in parallel. I would never suggest that counselling in itself is enough, there is of course the responsibility that whatever is happening is being addressed and improvement must be shown. Once CAS starts a protection application, the goal will either be to have the child in the temporary care and custody of the parent/parents (depending on the situation) under the supervision of the CAS involved. That temporary order they will seek is usully granted on a temporary without prejudice basis. OR. If the situation at home is dire and no action to prevent physical, emotional, mental, etc harm on the kid is done, CAS may apprehend the child and seek to be the temporary legal parent. Either way, there is a lot of work to be done. Again, my advice is to attain legal aid if OP cannot afford a lawyer on her own and cooperate as much as possible. Most importantly, keep herself and her child safe.

Edit: our firm does not handle CAS matters, we just know what is going on as our clients loop us in
OP doesn't seem to have many contacts and is relatively new to Canada. Rather than trying to seek out legal aid and CAS it would be much easier to get into a domestic violence shelter where there are likely to be social workers or other supoort workers who can help her access other services and walk her through the process. I am guessing that she may not be able to go out for the day to try to go to legal aid or make lots of phone calls without her spouse questionning where she is going or what she is doing. Think her safety should be #1. If she is planning on leaving her spouse she should focus on getting out first and then work at reuniting with her son. We don't know the family income. If she remains with her spouse she may not qualify for legal aid.

If you are in need of contacts for domestic violence resources please specify the area you live in. Unfortunately there is increase demand for shelters due to covid.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
OP doesn't seem to have many contacts and is relatively new to Canada. Rather than trying to seek out legal aid and CAS it would be much easier to get into a domestic violence shelter where there are likely to be social workers or other supoort workers who can help her access other services and walk her through the process. I am guessing that she may not be able to go out for the day to try to go to legal aid or make lots of phone calls without her spouse questionning where she is going or what she is doing. Think her safety should be #1. If she is planning on leaving her spouse she should focus on getting out first and then work at reuniting with her son. We don't know the family income. If she remains with her spouse she may not qualify for legal aid.

If you are in need of contacts for domestic violence resources please specify the area you live in. Unfortunately there is increase demand for shelters due to covid.
Once CAS is involved (if I understand OP's post correctly they already are) there is no need to seek them out. They will actively pursue the OP and her husband. This is why I advice working with CAS, I acknowledge that OP cannot let her husband know what she plans to do. A CAS worker will be able to confidentially help the OP. CAS can help OP connect with someone who can apply for legal aid on her behalf after she signs consent forms. Due to Part X rules, OP can be assured that everything she does with CAS remains confidential. CAS can be the middle man for OP to access services discreetly until it is safe for OP to do so on her own. CAS workers also have deep connections within shelters that may help OP access services faster.

Last edited:

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020
If you don’t Know how to find the organizations please let us know what area you live in and we will look up the organizations for you. It is very important that you not tell your spouse that you are leaving in advance because that is when your life is most at risk. If ever returning to your home to pick up items make sure you have the police with you.
Hi Canuck78,

I have already taken help from the organizations here and a social worker is helping me out. Sorry for late reply. I logged in after days.

Thank you for your help. :)

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020
I know people who work at CAS. Go to legal aid and apply for a certificate so that you can be represented. Which province are you in? The key is to work with CAS. If there is abuse in the home, you will need to resolve this. Either you get couple's counselling to fix your marriage, him move out or you move out. If you are in Toronto, I can give you a couple of names for lawyers who accept legal aid who may be able to help.
Hi, I am in Ontario.

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020
Hi Canuck78,

Yes, you are right. People who abuse are unlikely to change.

sapna_st

Jul 31, 2020

Thank you for your detailed reply.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi, I am in Ontario.
Did CAS start a protection application? Hopefully not yet. In my limited knowledge, CAS attempts to do everything they can to avoid going to court. They only go to court when there is nothing done to keep the child safe. If you are in Toronto, I recommend David Miller or Gilead Kay. Good luck. Be safe.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Once CAS is involved (if I understand OP's post correctly they already are) there is no need to seek them out. They will actively pursue the OP and her husband. This is why I advice working with CAS, I acknowledge that OP cannot let her husband know what she plans to do. A CAS worker will be able to confidentially help the OP. CAS can help OP connect with someone who can apply for legal aid on her behalf after she signs consent forms. Due to Part X rules, OP can be assured that everything she does with CAS remains confidential. CAS can be the middle man for OP to access services discreetly until it is safe for OP to do so on her own. CAS workers also have deep connections within shelters that may help OP access services faster.
It seems as though OP may have sought out a DV shelter. Yes CAS will keep things confidential but you are making huge assumptions that the abusive husband will allow her to speak alone with the social worker if they are living together. In many abusive relationships your spouse monitors where you are, who you speak to, etc. The issue is all about safety. It is not really CAS’s job to become the mother’s social worker given their huge case loads. I assume they would give her the names of DV shelters. Then getting a referral for legal aid will take time. In situations of high stress, like having a child taken away, the risk to the mother increases. Always best for victims of DV to arrange a safe place to stay then follow-up with CAS.