Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happens with issues regarding child support in a specific country, once you have recieved your permient residecny..? and will that effect the Immigrations Finial Decision ?? ??? :eek:

I

iarblue

You must pay support in the other country still as if you fall behind it willaffect you here.And to ask if you should pay it or if you have to after you are here?Is this what you are asking

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
A lot depends on the country where you pay the child support.

Some countries won't let you leave unless you post a bond or a sum of money sufficient to pay the support for a certain length of time. The amount of the money posted might depend on how long you say you will be out of that country. If you then renege on payments, you migt have trouble re-entering that country.

Then, that country might have a reciprocal agreement with Canada to share information, and cooperate in enforcing the child-support payments. I don't know how to investigate this point.

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, Specifically in COSTA RICA it states that you have to make a yearly deposit in order to LEAVE the country ANYWHERE ( As the ex wife and mother of the child has under the law a right to keep MY husband in this country, due to their son...which mind you he NEVER HAS ACCESS TOO) So I'm just a bit confused, if we are going to be paying 1 years up front, why would we have to continue to pay on top of that after we have left the country ? Espically since the child is almost 10 years old, she is re married and the son is not part of my husbands life. Maybe has seen him 1-5 times in his entire life......I hope you understand where I'm coming from ...

Ashleigh.

I

iarblue

It does not matter if he never sees the child he still has to pay until the child is 18,and if the child wants to go to university and the mother goes to court to get the father to pay half if she wins he will have to pay.It is his child and if he cant see the child he can go to court and fight to see the child.
But no mater what you do till 18 he pays.Especially in Canada as they are inforced by Family Responsibility office.And if he does not pay he suffers the concequences which are the first time he looses all licences under the Canadian government meaning drivers lic and his PR.If he still does not pay 6 months in jail then when he gets out and still does not pay 1 year in jail and so on.
Im sorry to say but he must pay till the child is 18 and not miss a payment as if they have to inforce it they will trust me on this.
So if he just wants to come here and pay the amount monthly then he will have to go to the family court in his country and disscucss this with the judge and get it arranged.
I cant see how she can keep him in that country but i can see problems if he stops paying and a lawyer there contacts her with court orders then it will be a problem and it can happen,

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's called an Impedement de Salada, which BANS Costa Rican men from leaving the country without paying 1 year of Child Support. I've been in contact with a few lawyers here and most have them said, once you pay that 1 deposit of child support you can leave and as long as you dont come back to the country you dont have to pay anything else, because they cannot expect the money if you are in another country. I guess each country has their laws case by case...I will have to do more diggin on this issue with lawyers both on my end and in Canada. Thank you for your responses.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Iarblue:

Are you saying that Canada will enforce a Costa Rica court decision to pay child support? Or are you only outlining the consequences of not paying support per Canadian court order?

ashleighash:
The one year bond is to ensure at least one year of support payments, not to absolve the father of paying to age 18. Yes, the laws in Costa Rica do favour the mother, but no amount of complaining, no matter how justified will change them, at least not in our lifetime. My sympathies.

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having spoken with a immigration/family lawyer here in Costa Rica, he stated basically that once you've paid that year sum of Child support you are free to leave the country and it is up to the mother to file and civil suit for you to owe that money.

What about an option to pass over all parental rights, does anyone know his options regarding ? Our hope is just to leave and never look back.

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
and in regards to your comment about going to jail and what not, I know many fathers including my own in Canada that never paid child support and were never penalized other then having their checks automatically deducted AFTER 10 YEARS and there was never any threat or talk of jail...ever..I'd like to know where you found that information so that I could read up on that !

Thank you again everyone.

ashleighash

Star Member
May 16, 2010
Costa Rica
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatamala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know specifically if the Canadian Government will ask you any type of question regarding Child Support at a Interview or once your in Canada ?

Has anyone else had this issue ??

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
They can ask about trhe child and his support. One of the tests of a genuine relationship, according to CIC, is how the step-parent treats any children, and what steps have been taken to care for any children brought into the marriage. But since in your case the mother won't let your husband have any access, just explaining this and showing proof should be good enough if they ask in the interview.

tala14

Apr 9, 2012
Re: Child Support

My husband is a canadian citizen and he is now planning to sponsors us ( me & our child) under the family class.. the problem is, he didn't pay the child support court-order over a year due to he lost his job and medical conditions.. Will it affect our application about child support? if yes, what should we do to resettle this problem about child support and in what office he should go for the resettlement of payment in canada?? please kindly help us to ressolve this problem of ours.. Because we wanted to be together and our child really need his presence, love and care too..

starlight007

Oct 11, 2014
Hi .. I just want to ask, how can I get a child support from my ex-husband? Well legally speaking we are still married in our country Philippines, unfortunately we're divorced way back 2012. He has now a family of his own in Canada. Unfortunately our daughter was diagnosed of having a polyp which could eventually lead to cancer. He knows everything about our daughters condition but he didn't even bother to extend any help for operation... Can someone out there give me an advice? Badly needed it to prolong my daughter's life.. :(

novembre2013

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2014
ashleighash said:
why would we have to continue to pay on top of that after we have left the country ? Espically since the child is almost 10 years old, she is re married and the son is not part of my husbands life. Maybe has seen him 1-5 times in his entire life......I hope you understand where I'm coming from ...

Ashleigh.
I am sorry if I sound harsh.
It is his child, so it is normal to pay for his child. the mom is married, ok, but the child remains his, regardless of the mom's marriage.
the child is 10 years old, so you think, the father should no pay?
he is 10 years old and yes the father should contribute.
Try to put yourself in the kid's shoes.