Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Hello Folks,

The forum has been a great help so far, I am sure part of these questions I am going to ask have already been answered in some other threads, but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I would really appreciate if anyone can take out time to respond back to my queries.

I have a one year PGWP after completing a one year post graduate certificate program in Ontario. I have already completed 8 months of skilled work experience on my PGWP and my visa will expire on Dec 5th, 2016. If I count the number of hours required to be eligible for CEC, I will be completing 1560 hours by mid Sep. My first question to you is, Do I need to work until the very last day of my work permit to be able to claim for one year of work experience under CEC?

And, Will I be only eligible to add my Canadian work experience points in my EE profile on the last day(Dec 5th, 2016) of my work permit, or I can add them when I complete 1 year from the day I applied for PGWP (i.e., Nov 25th, 2016)?

I currently have 390 point in EE profile and after updating CEC points I will be at 468. Do you think even if I could add them on Nov 25th, that would make any difference at all in terms of being eligible for Bridging Work permit?

Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

Regards,
MaRa

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having 1560 of work experience isn't enough - you also need to meet the one year (i.e. 52 weeks) requirement. When did you start working after you finished school? Assuming you starting working full time immediately - a year from that date should be the day you are eligible to claim a year of work experience for CEC.

No - you won't be eligible for a BOWP once you update your profile to include the new work experience. You won't be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit until you have received ITA (i.e. been selected under Express Entry), submitted your application and received AOR.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Thank you Scylla for your answers. Yes, you rightly guessed that I was employed from the day one of PGWP, in fact I joined the company about six months prior of receiving my PGWP. I had OCWP, which allowed me to work full time outside the campus. My follow up question to you is since I only have one year work permit and I will be completing one year work experience on PGWP on the day it expires. Do you think it's safe for me to resign about 15-20 days before I go back to my home country? Also, what all documents I should collect from my employer before I leave, which will be required later to support my claim for one year work experience in Canada.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Can you clarify the statement on OCWP full time work assume that was during breaks or after program completed not during study periods where only 20 hours allowed http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=503&top=15 just in case other forum readers get the wrong impression about work hours.

mahi_raw

Oct 9, 2015
@Bs65 - The program I did, has a mandatory one semester internship program (Scheduled Break), where students are required to collect 480 hrs (3 months)of industry specific work experience. I started working right after I finished my first two semester and since then I am working in the same company.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mrawa said:
Thank you Scylla for your answers. Yes, you rightly guessed that I was employed from the day one of PGWP, in fact I joined the company about six months prior of receiving my PGWP. I had OCWP, which allowed me to work full time outside the campus. My follow up question to you is since I only have one year work permit and I will be completing one year work experience on PGWP on the day it expires. Do you think it's safe for me to resign about 15-20 days before I go back to my home country? Also, what all documents I should collect from my employer before I leave, which will be required later to support my claim for one year work experience in Canada.
You need a minimum of 12 months/52 weeks of full-time work experience to be eligible under the CEC program. If you are short by 2-3 weeks, you do not qualify.

Many people with the PGWP have work experience that is post-graduation but before they receive the PGWP. You can count your work experience after you completed your program, even if you were still waiting for your PGWP. To do this, though, you will have to include proof with your application of the date that you graduated/stopped being a full-time student.

That may help you qualify sooner, but it is unlikely to help you qualify soon enough for the BOWP. You will need to consider other options for staying or leaving...

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Thank you jes_ON for clarifying that. Would you be able to respond to my second question about the documents I should ask from my employer before I leave?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mrawa said:
Would you be able to respond to my second question about the documents I should ask from my employer before I leave?
These do not necessarily have to be collected before leaving, your employer can certainly forward them to you provided you leave a forwarding address. Hopefully you can leave on good terms.

You will need the letter of employment - it should be dated no earlier than the last day of employment (it can be written after you leave), because the date at the top of the letter is effectively the "end date" for which your employer is testifying about your experience.

See the "proof of work experience" section for details on what information is required in the letter.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Your T4 won't become available until approx. February next year.

You can ask your employer about the Record of Employment - if they submit this electronically to Service Canada, you will be able to get it online. If they submit it on paper, they are required to give you a copy within 5 days of your last day (if you ask for it).

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Thank you jes_ON, your help is much appreciated !!!

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
jes_ON said:
Many people with the PGWP have work experience that is post-graduation but before they receive the PGWP. You can count your work experience after you completed your program, even if you were still waiting for your PGWP. To do this, though, you will have to include proof with your application of the date that you graduated/stopped being a full-time student.
@jes_ON - If I can pick your brain on one small doubt I have? As you mentioned earlier that, that I can count my work experience after I completed my program, even when I was waiting for PGWP. I stopped being a full-time student, the day I was issued my transcript stating "Graduated", but the Diploma/Certificate was issued after 3 months of issuing the transcript. I was working all this while, can you clarify from what date I should start counting my work experience for CEC?

Transcript issued - Aug 9th, 2015
Graduate Certificate signed and sealed - Nov 10th, 2015
PGWP applied - Nov 25th, 2015
PGWP received - Dec 5th, 2015

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mrawa said:
@jes_ON - If I can pick your brain on one small doubt I have? As you mentioned earlier that, that I can count my work experience after I completed my program, even when I was waiting for PGWP. I stopped being a full-time student, the day I was issued my transcript stating "Graduated", but the Diploma/Certificate was issued after 3 months of issuing the transcript. I was working all this while, can you clarify from what date I should start counting my work experience for CEC?

Transcript issued - Aug 9th, 2015
Graduate Certificate signed and sealed - Nov 10th, 2015
PGWP applied - Nov 25th, 2015
PGWP received - Dec 5th, 2015
Well, that is unusual, the date of graduation listed on the transcript should be identical to the date on the certificate. I would check with your school about this. Possibly you are misinterpreting the transcript, or possibly there is an error... You can also ask your school for a letter indicating when you completed your program and/or last date of enrollment.

In any case... you have another problem. The rules for the PGWP state: "You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program." From what I've seen, CIC has been rather lenient on this requirement, but I would not recommend pushing to include experience if the implication is that you applied too late for the PGWP.

My suggestion - go with the date of your certificate. In your letter of explanation (about why you think your valid work experience begins before the date on your PGWP), include a copy of the certificate.

Alternatively, contact your school and see what they say.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
Thank you jes_ON for your response and I want to apologize you if my question was little confusing. You raised a valid point about 90 days rule for PGWP application, after jogging my memory a little bit, I realized that I did received an official letter from college which clearly states that I completed my program in Sep, 2015 and I used this same letter in my PGWP application.

I think I should be good to claim one year of work experience in my EE profile after Sep,2016, but I still need to improve my IELTS to get to a promising score. Please let me know if my understanding is right.

I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge. Have a wonderful day.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mrawa said:
Thank you jes_ON for your response and I want to apologize you if my question was little confusing. You raised a valid point about 90 days rule for PGWP application, after jogging my memory a little bit, I realized that I did received an official letter from college which clearly states that I completed my program in Sep, 2015 and I used this same letter in my PGWP application.

Yes, you can use this same letter -

I think I should be good to claim one year of work experience in my EE profile after Sep,2016, but I still need to improve my IELTS to get to a promising score. Please let me know if my understanding is right.

Good luck with the IELTS!

peruchazhi

May 5, 2016
scylla said:
Having 1560 of work experience isn't enough - you also need to meet the one year (i.e. 52 weeks) requirement. When did you start working after you finished school? Assuming you starting working full time immediately - a year from that date should be the day you are eligible to claim a year of work experience for CEC.

No - you won't be eligible for a BOWP once you update your profile to include the new work experience. You won't be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit until you have received ITA (i.e. been selected under Express Entry), submitted your application and received AOR.
I am at my 42nd week and CIC update my profile and gave me additional 11 points for my experience. My 3 years will be completed only on Feb 11th, 2017. However, they update it a bit early it seems (on Jan 2nd, 2017). If i get an ITA in the coming weeks, would that be a problem?

Please advice.
Thank you!

knasina

Apr 5, 2017
mrawa said:

I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge. Have a wonderful day.
Hi Mrawa,

I have the similar situation like your's. one year PGWP with 1yr work experience, I was thinking to apply under CEC class at-least few weeks before my WP expires. Looking forward to hearing any updated form you. Good luck!