+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - can I apply why wp is being renewed?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be in "implied" status for the next 2 months, but will qualify for CEC far earlier.

Do i actually have to wait for some decision on wp to apply?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't have to wait. Once you have been working for 2 years on a work permit, you can apply for CEC.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
No, you don't have to wait. Once you have been working for 2 years on a work permit, you can apply for CEC.
Yes, but my status paper would be expired and status pending. Is this good to make application? Generally, they require current immigration status document. I'm scared they can send they whole package back after a month. Ok, thanks, Leon. I think i should call them and ask.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EasyRider said:
Yes, but my status paper would be expired and status pending. Is this good to make application? Generally, they require current immigration status document. I'm scared they can send they whole package back after a month. Ok, thanks, Leon. I think i should call them and ask.
I think you can write them a cover letter saying your status is pending. Did you not have a work permit for 2 full years or why was it expired before two full years were up? Anyway, like you say, better to ask them. Make sure you write down the name of the person you talk to in case you need to refer to it later.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
EasyRider said:
I think you can write them a cover letter saying your status is pending. Did you not have a work permit for 2 full years or why was it expired before two full years were up? Anyway, like you say, better to ask them. Make sure you write down the name of the person you talk to in case you need to refer to it later.
Thanks! Actually i have been working for 2 years and 3rd work permit is pending. I could apply for renewal late (close to expiration date of the previous one) for various reasons.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have already worked for 2 years, you can apply. You don't need to have current status in Canada to apply for CEC. You could even leave Canada and still have a year to apply for CEC afterwards. But do call them and find out what they say. It is safer.

CEC_category

Apr 16, 2009
I have done 4 years university over here b.comm undergrad degree, but then worked in a general sales exec role for over a year (20 months to be exact)..would this still qualify me for my PR under CEC category?

I am really stressed out about this! pls respond

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sounds like you qualify to apply for CEC as a graduate (at least 2 year studies + 1 year of work). However, if you are not 100% sure that your school/studies qualify, since you have already worked 20 months, you just need to work 4 more months to apply for CEC as a worker. Up to you. CEC is at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

julchen_79

Star Member
Mar 4, 2008
Hi Leon, do the two years have to be on one consecutive work permit. I had three in the past, Young Workers Exchange, Work and Holiday and now a two year work permit which expires in June 2010. I have had alltogether two employers and always worked in my profession. Would they accept that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think it has to be 1 unbroken work permit, just 2 years of work. Call CIC and ask.

rmin

May 9, 2009
how long is CEC processing time are we looking at? is it fast tracked? or considerably shorter than regular skilled worker process?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey easyrider - if you're still on this, can you tell us what happened? I will be in the same position soon - will need to renew my temp work permit at the same time I become eligible for CEC.

I ask because, despite the creation of the CEC program, the language of the TFW program still insists on "intent to leave" - which is kinda negated by a PR application :) Don't want the renewal denied while awaiting processing of the PR...