+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Applicant with an Outland Spouse

D.benson

Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,
Firstly thank you all for your contributions on this forum. I have found this platform very helpful.

I (principal applicant) have been invited to apply for the PR under the CEC category. As a bit of a background i applied for the 2year work visa under the IEC program (i am British) after which i was offered a secondment opportunity by my company for 2 years from London to Canada. My secondment letter states the start and end dates of my secondment (2019 to 2021) (2years) and says 'after which you will return to the UK'. It is my intention to settle in Canada :) so i created a profile on CIC and have been invited to apply. I added my partner as an 'accompanying spouse'.

My questions are:
1.) My offer (contract) states starts and end dates and also says i will return to the UK (not MUST). Does this affect my application where it requires an 'offer of employment'. I have said yes to having an 'offer of employment' but No when it asks about LMIA. Was this wrong? Can i still attach my offer of employment even though it has a start and end date and talks about returning to the UK? My employment record and Letter of employment says 'permanent' 'full time'.

2.) I have made some changes to mine and my partners application post setting up the profile. Things now look different e.g NOC for my partner after thorough review. Is this a problem? Does any change to the application (different from profile) any problems?

3.) Proof of funds- i have an outland spouse, do i still need it? Should i submit the funds for 2 people even though i know i am exempt as a CEC applicant?

4.) My UK bank refuses to issue a letter for my UK account- can i just explain this? Will it be accepted?

5.) Passport photograph- first time seeing that it has to be stamped. Do i upload to front AND back of the digital photo to prove this? What are the options for countries where they don't do stamped passport photographs?

Thank you and look forward to reading your responses
D

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
1) No, you will just not be granted 50 points for offer of arranged employment. However, you actually don't have an offer of employment because this is an offer of employment when you become a PR for at least 1 year after that. This requires to be backed by a LMIA in most cases.
2) I don't really understand what you are asking or trying to say. --> Different NOC shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a qualifying NOC
3) No need, you should type 0 in the available funds section. Otherwise you will be asked to submit proof of funds. CEC applicants can just submit a letter stating that no funds are required for CEC applicants.
4) Again, no need for this. What can of bank refuses to provide a statement of your account? That's odd --> Switch banks!
5) Again, don't really understand what you mean? You are asked for a photograph when you are doing your landing interview. On the mean time when you apply you are only asked to upload a digital picture that you can actually take at home.

D.benson

Jun 5, 2020
1) No, you will just not be granted 50 points for offer of arranged employment. However, you actually don't have an offer of employment because this is an offer of employment when you become a PR for at least 1 year after that. This requires to be backed by a LMIA in most cases.
2) I don't really understand what you are asking or trying to say. --> Different NOC shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a qualifying NOC
3) No need, you should type 0 in the available funds section. Otherwise you will be asked to submit proof of funds. CEC applicants can just submit a letter stating that no funds are required for CEC applicants.
4) Again, no need for this. What can of bank refuses to provide a statement of your account? That's odd --> Switch banks!
5) Again, don't really understand what you mean? You are asked for a photograph when you are doing your landing interview. On the mean time when you apply you are only asked to upload a digital picture that you can actually take at home.
Thank you so much for your prompt response.
1.) Thanks, i see they haven't given me points for my 'arranged employment'- so attach it either way and explain that i plan on settling in Canada. I just cant leave the offer of employment section blank right?
2.) For example i put the NOC for my partner as ABC when setting up the profile but we re-reviewed and its actually BCD and we also have supporting employment letter.
3.) Noted. Thank you!
4.) Noted. Thank you!
5.) I must have panicked here, i read where it says it must be by a commercial photographer and i went ahead and to get it done at shoppers! Thanks for clarifying on that approach!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thank you so much for your prompt response.
1.) Thanks, i see they haven't given me points for my 'arranged employment'- so attach it either way and explain that i plan on settling in Canada. I just cant leave the offer of employment section blank right?
2.) For example i put the NOC for my partner as ABC when setting up the profile but we re-reviewed and its actually BCD and we also have supporting employment letter.
3.) Noted. Thank you!
4.) Noted. Thank you!
5.) I must have panicked here, i read where it says it must be by a commercial photographer and i went ahead and to get it done at shoppers! Thanks for clarifying on that approach!
1)You could, or attach what you have, if you are not getting points it doesn't make a difference really.
2)It should be fine, as long as it is considered skilled. If I were you I would explain why there is a discrepancy between the NOC in the profile and the one in the application. The important thing is that the NOC in the letter of employment matches your chosen NOC.
5)It is okay to have the picture taken at shoppers, it is not a big deal. As long as the dimensions are okay.

D.benson

Jun 5, 2020
Good day all,
Wondering if someone could please shed a light on this.

I have filed my PR application on the CEC inland route. I have been asked to submit Biometrics but everywhere is currently closed so unable to do this.

I am currently in Canada working. My current work permit expires in October- although my work is full time and permanent. I will file a bridging work permit application in September.

Unfortunately, my spouse's open work permit application is still processing. We have no visibility on dates of decision. Its causing a strain, as i can imagine for most families.

My questions are:
1. If IRCC do not get round to making a decision until October (when my current OWP expires), would it be an automatic No seeing as my spouse's OWP expiry date is tied to mine? Or would they make assumptions seeing as everything is messed up with COVID?

2. Is it worth notifying IRCC that we have submitted a BOWP application seeing as the current OWP is due to expire in October?

3. If we dont hear back on the SOWP by the end of October (when my current work visa expires), i plan on leaving Canada to go and be with him. How will this affect our PR apllication? Do i need to inform IRCC that i have left Canada?

4. Would i be able to return with an in progress BOWP application?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Good day all,
Wondering if someone could please shed a light on this.

I have filed my PR application on the CEC inland route. I have been asked to submit Biometrics but everywhere is currently closed so unable to do this.

I am currently in Canada working. My current work permit expires in October- although my work is full time and permanent. I will file a bridging work permit application in September.

Unfortunately, my spouse's open work permit application is still processing. We have no visibility on dates of decision. Its causing a strain, as i can imagine for most families.

My questions are:
1. If IRCC do not get round to making a decision until October (when my current OWP expires), would it be an automatic No seeing as my spouse's OWP expiry date is tied to mine? Or would they make assumptions seeing as everything is messed up with COVID?

2. Is it worth notifying IRCC that we have submitted a BOWP application seeing as the current OWP is due to expire in October?

3. If we dont hear back on the SOWP by the end of October (when my current work visa expires), i plan on leaving Canada to go and be with him. How will this affect our PR apllication? Do i need to inform IRCC that i have left Canada?

Thanks all!
  1. not sure
  2. No need, they will know this.
  3. You must notify IRCC of any change of address
  4. No because you need the permit to be allowed in the country. You should not travel while you are on implied status, at least if you are planning on coming back before having a final decision.

D.benson

Jun 5, 2020
  1. not sure
  2. No need, they will know this.
  3. You must notify IRCC of any change of address
  4. No because you need the permit to be allowed in the country. You should not travel while you are on implied status, at least if you are planning on coming back before having a final decision.
Thanks for this.

Can i clarify the impact on my inland CEC application if i left? It says on my profile that the timing of decision should be in December.

If we are granted the PR, would they allow us to enter/land together seeing as the main applicants application was originally an inland one?

Thanks again

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks for this.

Can I clarify the impact on my inland CEC application if i left? It says on my profile that the timing of decision should be in December.

If we are granted the PR, would they allow us to enter/land together seeing as the main applicants application was originally an inland one?

Thanks again
There is no impact. The only thing that would happen would be that your file might be transferred to a different IRCC office to finish the processing. Since you'd be outside of Canada you will eventually have to submit your passport to the corresponding visa office (UK I am guessing) to have the immigrant visa stamped on it and COPR issued. --> This is why it is so critical to inform IRCC if you change addresses, especially if you move outside of Canada.

December is the estimated processing time is December, though you should be aware that this timeline is hardly ever met. It can take less time or a lot more. In my case, for example, it was November but I got the final decision in February the following year. And with COVID you should be ready for even longer delays.

D.benson

Jun 5, 2020
This is helpful. Thank you for your help as always!

We will see what happens by November with the SOWP. I really dont want to leave but family first eh!

Enjoy your day!

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
@Wolfpmd3 I have a question, I will be grateful if you can answer

I have 3-year PGWP expiring in Jan 2021 ( 5 months validity). I came back home to see my spouse and got stuck here. Our PR application estimated time is October [ expecting delay as you said]
Is there any kind of restriction or rules that if you are out of the country as a worker for like a year or something You can't come back? if NO, what is the latest I can travel on my work permitting ( expiring end of Janauary]? I do have a job offer.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You can travel back a forth without restrictions for as long as your work permit is valid.

For you it's even better since you are waiting on your PR application you will soon be eligible to apply for a Bridging work permit, but you have to be in Canada for that.

You can travel back any time, of course the sooner the better in your case.

Reactions: Walle_007

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

My questions are:

Keep in mind, your spouse's OWP depends on you having a valid work permit of at least 6 months' validity. Absolutely, yes, your spouse should update the SOWP application with information about your BOWP application. While it's true IRCC should be able to see this, it is better to make sure it is noted on the file. (It is also worth including info about your spouse's OWP application with your BOWP application).

3. If we dont hear back on the SOWP by the end of October (when my current work visa expires), i plan on leaving Canada to go and be with him. How will this affect our PR apllication?
It will have no impact on your PR application.

Do i need to inform IRCC that i have left Canada?
If you are literally moving out of Canada, yes. If you are maintaining a residence in Canada and just going for a short visit, no.

Maybe, but you would lose implied status when you leave Canada. If you are admitted as a visitor, you won't be able to work until the BOWP is approved.

Walle_007

Aug 8, 2019
You can travel back a forth without restrictions for as long as your work permit is valid.

For you it's even better since you are waiting on your PR application you will soon be eligible to apply for a Bridging work permit, but you have to be in Canada for that.

You can travel back any time, of course the sooner the better in your case.
Thanks alot.
So in my case WP expiring in jan 2021. I ll be fine traveling by December?

Also when should I apply for bowp. I see processing time as 184 days for work permit extension from inside Canada. Is apply by end November is fine? 2 months before expiring. Coz I might get pr by then and dont even have to apply.

If processing time for for bowp takes beyond January 2021 and assuming my pr app is still in progress would I have implied status and can stay in Canada?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Thanks alot.
So in my case WP expiring in jan 2021. I ll be fine traveling by December?

Also when should I apply for bowp. I see processing time as 184 days for work permit extension from inside Canada. Is apply by end November is fine? 2 months before expiring. Coz I might get pr by then and dont even have to apply.

If processing time for for bowp takes beyond January 2021 and assuming my pr app is still in progress would I have implied status and can stay in Canada?
It is fine if you apply when you come back as you will earn implied status immediately and until either application is finished. Just have to make sure you do it before your current permit expires.

Reactions: Walle_007