+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

carrying foreign currency to Canada.

AVR

Jun 21, 2009
Next week I am going to land for the first time under FSW. I would like to hear from experts about carrying foreign currency to Canada.

I am going to carry my settlement amount 17000 CAD $ for the 3 members in form of traveler’s cheque. I also hold some Iraqi Dinars worth about 2000 CAD $. Is it necessary to declare about these Iraqi Dinars also during immigration? If yes, along with the travel’s cheque or separately?

Is there any harm carrying Iraqi Dinar to Canada? Particularly, as I don’t have any official transaction papers about these Iraqi Dinars with me.

I wrote regarding this matter to CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency), they just replied to me that any currency excess of 10000 CAD $ must declare. But, I have only 2000 CAD $ worth of Iraqi Dinars. They didn’t state clearly about Iraqi Dinar.

Helpful suggestions would be appreciable.

AVR.

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
AVR said:
Next week I am going to land for the first time under FSW. I would like to hear from experts about carrying foreign currency to Canada.

I am going to carry my settlement amount 17000 CAD $ for the 3 members in form of traveler's cheque. I also hold some Iraqi Dinars worth about 2000 CAD $. Is it necessary to declare about these Iraqi Dinars also during immigration? If yes, along with the travel's cheque or separately?

Is there any harm carrying Iraqi Dinar to Canada? Particularly, as I don't have any official transaction papers about these Iraqi Dinars with me.

I wrote regarding this matter to CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency), they just replied to me that any currency excess of 10000 CAD $ must declare. But, I have only 2000 CAD $ worth of Iraqi Dinars. They didn't state clearly about Iraqi Dinar.

Helpful suggestions would be appreciable.

AVR.
May I ask why you are/will be still holding to Iraqi Dinars as this will be of no use to you, better to convert to CAD as you will have other expenses after landing, better to convert those to CAD. You will have to declare any currency you carry in person more than CAD 10,000, so from that perspective its OK to have Iriqi Dinar to the value of CAD2000 that you need not declare.

Max

devondad93

Jul 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on what I have learned on our law discussion, I think there are no harm in carrying foreign currency to other country. But each country has a limit of how much currency you can bring into the country without declaring it. So, I think you should delimit the currency that you are carrying in Canada. Good luck!