Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hi All,
I recently my Canadian PR but am currently working in the US on H1-B visa. I am looking for some good job opporutinities in Canada and want to move there once I have a good job offer. In the mean time, I want to remain in the US with my current employer.
I have been in the US on H1-B visa for last 4 years and this is my 5th year here. My current Visa expires in June this year.

Can I get H1B extension on the basis of Canada PR?
Or as a Canadian PR can I apply for some other type of visa in the United States? If it is H1B, will I be able to stay for next 6 years in the US or the 4 years I have already stayed in the US will be counted and I can get an extension only till a total of 6 years is completed?

Thank you guys, appreciate your inputs here! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having Canadian PR does not give you any special privileges when it comes to an H1-B.

There is a TN visa, but you have to be a Canadian citizen to qualify. You don't qualify as a PR.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
scylla said:
Having Canadian PR does not give you any special privileges when it comes to an H1-B.

There is a TN visa, but you have to be a Canadian citizen to qualify. You don't qualify as a PR.
Thank you scylla!!
Moreover, I am presuming that since I am already on H1-B and have spent 4 years already, having my H1-B processed as a Canadian PR will be an extension and regardless of whether I am getting H1-B as an Indian Citizen or Canadian PR, the counter of 6 years will not reset.

Is this understanding correct?

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
Just a random question.

I will become Canadian Permanent Resident this year along with my husband who is in USA and I am in Canada. He does not have H1 yet but if he gets this year; What one should do ? Live in Canada or USA? He is earning good in USA. We are confused about our decision like which country is a better choice? Or there is any other alternative ?

Thanks

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
dipica said:
Just a random question.

I will become Canadian Permanent Resident this year along with my husband who is in USA and I am in Canada. He does not have H1 yet but if he gets this year; What one should do ? Live in Canada or USA? He is earning good in USA. We are confused about our decision like which country is a better choice? Or there is any other alternative ?

Thanks
Here is my take on this - you can choose to live in Canada or in the US, but with current conditions, it might be worth giving this more thought and probably preferring to live in Canada. I understand that salary might be a little less as compared to what one can earn in the US, but there are other advantages like you do not have to keep extending your visas, you do not have to see your stay as temporary (only for 6 years total) unless your green card processing has started.
As a Canadian PR also you can apply for H1B.
One question - if the plan is to stay in the US, are you both going to be able to work? Because if he is on H1 and you are on H4, you wont be able to work and in that case Canada might be a better option in case both of you are interested in working.

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
yodheydhara said:
Here is my take on this - you can choose to live in Canada or in the US, but with current conditions, it might be worth giving this more thought and probably preferring to live in Canada. I understand that salary might be a little less as compared to what one can earn in the US, but there are other advantages like you do not have to keep extending your visas, you do not have to see your stay as temporary (only for 6 years total) unless your green card processing has started.
As a Canadian PR also you can apply for H1B.
One question - if the plan is to stay in the US, are you both going to be able to work? Because if he is on H1 and you are on H4, you wont be able to work and in that case Canada might be a better option in case both of you are interested in working.
First of all thank you for reply and putting your view on this matter. I am expecting to become PR by summer this year and If I move to USA I will start my studies again. In Canada I will be lawyer next year and in states I have to start from scratch, Thanks.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
yodheydhara said:
Thank you scylla!!
Moreover, I am presuming that since I am already on H1-B and have spent 4 years already, having my H1-B processed as a Canadian PR will be an extension and regardless of whether I am getting H1-B as an Indian Citizen or Canadian PR, the counter of 6 years will not reset.

Is this understanding correct?
You do not get any benefit for H-1B by becoming a Canadian PR. The rules for H-1B are the same for everybody regardless of their status outside US. After 6 years, H-1B will only be extended if:

1) You have passed the I-140 stage of US greencard processing -- H-1B will be extended by 3 years OR
2) Your PERM/labor certification application for US greencard has been pending for more than 365 days before 6 years of H-1B are over (can happen if PERM gets audited) -- H-1B will be extended by a year, and you need to keep extending it every year until you have passed I-140 stage, after which you can extend for 3 years and so on until you get the US greencard

If you can't get any extension after 6 years, then you would have to stay outside the US for 1 year before becoming eligible for H-1B status again. That will reset the 6-year clock, and you will have to go through the H-1B lottery again.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
dipica said:
First of all thank you for reply and putting your view on this matter. I am expecting to become PR by summer this year and If I move to USA I will start my studies again. In Canada I will be lawyer next year and in states I have to start from scratch, Thanks.
welcome! :)

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
smtele said:
You do not get any benefit for H-1B by becoming a Canadian PR. The rules for H-1B are the same for everybody regardless of their status outside US. After 6 years, H-1B will only be extended if:

1) You have passed the I-140 stage of US greencard processing -- H-1B will be extended by 3 years OR
2) Your PERM/labor certification application for US greencard has been pending for more than 365 days before 6 years of H-1B are over (can happen if PERM gets audited) -- H-1B will be extended by a year, and you need to keep extending it every year until you have passed I-140 stage, after which you can extend for 3 years and so on until you get the US greencard

If you can't get any extension after 6 years, then you would have to stay outside the US for 1 year before becoming eligible for H-1B status again. That will reset the 6-year clock, and you will have to go through the H-1B lottery again.
Thank you smetele!
This is very detailed and informative! Appreciate your help with this! :)
I would then plan on getting my extension done as soon as possible, looking for a good job opportunity in Canada at the same time. Then I can move to Canada as soon as I get a good job.

gurinder1414

Mar 30, 2017
yodheydhara said:
Hi All,
I recently my Canadian PR but am currently working in the US on H1-B visa. I am looking for some good job opporutinities in Canada and want to move there once I have a good job offer. In the mean time, I want to remain in the US with my current employer.
I have been in the US on H1-B visa for last 4 years and this is my 5th year here. My current Visa expires in June this year.

Can I get H1B extension on the basis of Canada PR?
Or as a Canadian PR can I apply for some other type of visa in the United States? If it is H1B, will I be able to stay for next 6 years in the US or the 4 years I have already stayed in the US will be counted and I can get an extension only till a total of 6 years is completed?

Thank you guys, appreciate your inputs here! :)
Hello Sir,

Can you please share your number or email so that I will discuss with u regarding canada pr process???

Thanks

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
gurinder1414 said:
Hello Sir,

Can you please share your number or email so that I will discuss with u regarding canada pr process???

Thanks
Hi Gurinder,
Happy to help, please tell me if you have specific questions. Overall, this forum is the right place to get all the information you need to understand the Canada PR process.
I would suggest you to look through the threads / topics on this forum that are of your interest and then post a question if you dont find any answers. There are highly experienced and extremely helpful people on this forum that can answer your question to the best of their knowledge. I will do the same. Thanks. :)

vpkasbek

Nov 22, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC -Sydney; Secondary visa office: CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Jan 03, 2017
Doc's Request.
Generic Reminder Email: RPRF, Passport Bio, Sch A, PCC. 06.12.2017; Updated Sch A form 09.25.2017
Nomination.....
Dec 15, 2016
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2017
IELTS Request
Sent with package
Med's Request
Dec 15, 2017 (Upfront eMedicals); Feb 12, 2018 (Request from CIC)
Med's Done....
Feb 14, 2018 (Passed)
Interview........
Not applicable; BGIP 2: Feb 27, 2018
Passport Req..
Apr 13, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 19, 2018
Guys,
I have applied for PR under PNP SINP stream and its a paper based applicantion. Can anyone shed light on which visa office processes our files from USA and share your experience with processing? I am in post AOR phase with almost a month of no news about file transfer or otherwise.

jitrulz

Nov 2, 2017
after getting Canada PR and moving to canada, would i be able to extend my H1B? I assume NO because i am not working for a US client, hence there is no SOW etc to prove the need for extension.
lets say, my H1B expires while my long stay in canada, and now i want to come back to US on H1B. would i have to go through lottery again or would i be cap-exempt ?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
after getting Canada PR and moving to canada, would i be able to extend my H1B? I assume NO because i am not working for a US client, hence there is no SOW etc to prove the need for extension.
lets say, my H1B expires while my long stay in canada, and now i want to come back to US on H1B. would i have to go through lottery again or would i be cap-exempt ?
You would be cap exempt since you were already counted. You would be able to reclaim that unused time on your H1B.

jitrulz

Nov 2, 2017
You would be cap exempt since you were already counted. You would be able to reclaim that unused time on your H1B.
How about if there is no unused time? i mean I have used up 6 yrs of H1B already. i am on extensions based on Approved i140