+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR expired/thinking of renewal?

nikisinhup

Aug 22, 2009
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
Mar 2009
Doc's Request.
Feb 2010
Nomination.....
APR 2010
AOR Received.
Mar 2011
Hi!

Back on these forums after 10years! Long story short, I received Canadian PR via provincial nomination back in 2011/12. This has now expired in 2017 and I did not meet residency obligations since I was based on the US on H1b.

Wondering what options I have to renew my PR? One of them might be to dance my existing and reapply via express entry.

Wanted to see if there were others in the same boat - that had Canadian residency expire on them in the endless wait for US GC and what paths they are pursuing?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Only PR cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. Given you have failed your residency obligation your choices seem limited to turning up at the border, hope you do not get reported and stay put for 2 years to reset your RO before renewing your PR card OR simply renounce your PR status formally and try reapplying. From your post if assume you are working in the US still then seems only second option is viable given you would not be able to commute whilst not meeting the RO.

Reactions: nikisinhup

nikisinhup

Aug 22, 2009
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
Mar 2009
Doc's Request.
Feb 2010
Nomination.....
APR 2010
AOR Received.
Mar 2011
Thanks! Curious about this comment though:

then seems only second option is viable given you would not be able to commute whilst not meeting the RO.

By commute do you mean doing a back n forth or not even being allowed to enter? I should still be able to grab a flight and enter Canada no?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It would mean, that if you got passed the CBSA, without being reported, you have to stay put in Canada for 2 years before you could renew your PR card. That means no commuting, no leaving. . And it would mean going thru a road border check, not flying by airplane . Airlines would require you to have a valid P/R card to enter via airplane. and per you that has expired.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi!

Back on these forums after 10years! Long story short, I received Canadian PR via provincial nomination back in 2011/12. This has now expired in 2017 and I did not meet residency obligations since I was based on the US on H1b.

Wondering what options I have to renew my PR? One of them might be to dance my existing and reapply via express entry.

Wanted to see if there were others in the same boat - that had Canadian residency expire on them in the endless wait for US GC and what paths they are pursuing?
Look at the coincidence.. you asked this question before 3 years in Trackitt and the only person (@justinline ) who responded you saying that he took up AINP at that time just managed to get citizenship.. :)

https://www.trackitt.com/canada-discussion-forums/provincial-nominees/1685912223/ainp-for-h1b

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thanks Deepcur for digging that up......it was interesting read. I guess find all that rambling amusing now. But one thing is sure....time flies.

After gone full circle.....US to Canada back to US....what can I say.....I feel old....lost a freaking lifetime managing immigration stuff. But glad I could get in through AINP H1b program, it was very straightforward program with very few requirements.

As for the Nikisinhup post, I feel it would be very difficult to make across border without being reported. If you want keep Canada option open, I am afraid you will have to apply again. Unless you can defend your case on h and c grounds.